Just picked up a BB 8120, and like many of you, I'm trying to get onto a wifi network w/o plan. Specifically, I'm trying to connect via a Mac, which is sharing an internet connection. Is this possible?

When I try to set up a wi-fi network with my Mac, the BB gives me an error W010, which is a signal strength error. The phone shows that I'm connected, but with very low signal strength.

As for the browser, with it set for Hotspot Browser, I get an "unable to find the server" message. Even though the home screen shows that the phone is connected to my Computer (although with limited strength).

Is there a clearly written "how to" on the web?

Are there any wi-fi settings in the phone that need to be altered?

Thanks for the help!
    04-21-08 10:26 AM
    It should be pretty straight forward if you follow the set up wifi wizard... When you scan for networks, does the network show up?
    04-21-08 11:36 AM
    Sunkast, thanks for the reply.

Yes, as I said, the network shows up...and on the home screen it even says the name of my network, so it looks like it is connected. but when I try to use the browser (again, set to Hotspot Browser), it says "unable to find the server"

Under the Wi-Fi Diagnostics it says that the Status is "Network aquired Authentication Failure" The reason is blank.

Any thoughts?
    04-21-08 12:08 PM
    Ok first, does it say UMA or uma (yes case matters) in the top right? Also is the wifi indicator gray or black? Does your network have any encryption turned on such was WEP or WPA?
    04-21-08 12:22 PM
    It doesn't say UMA or uma in the top right corner (i'm assuming you are referring to the home screen)

Also, the wifi logo is half black (behind "wi") and half grey (behind "fi")
    04-21-08 12:47 PM
    You are definitely not connected if it doesn't say UMA. What about the encryption?
    04-21-08 12:56 PM
    I turned off the encryption on my Mac for now.

Now when I try to connect, it says W002 Connection Failed
    04-21-08 01:29 PM
    Remove the network from your BB. Then with your phone on, remove the battery for 30 seconds, and put it back in. Try adding the network again.

I'm starting to think that perhaps whatever you are using as a router isn't compatible with the BB.
    04-21-08 01:34 PM
    make sure data services are TURNED ON under mobile network options in manage connections folder.
    04-21-08 01:47 PM
    Sandman, won't turning data services on expose me to the carrier's network?

Anyway, when I did that, it said I connected successfully. Still no UMA in the upper right corner, and I'm still not able to get browser going (set to Hotspot Browser).
    04-21-08 01:57 PM
    Sandman, won't turning data services on expose me to the carrier's network?

Anyway, when I did that, it said I connected successfully. Still no UMA in the upper right corner, and I'm still not able to get browser going (set to Hotspot Browser).
    No...I have my pay-per-use internet turned off....in other words I cannot access the EDGE services. But that data services needs to be checked for it to work...call t-mo and have the block put on...i guarantee it will still work.

you have to change the browser to WiFi browser.

you are using WiFi...free, enjoy.
    04-21-08 02:12 PM
    Perhaps that works on AT&T's network, but I can't choose WiFi browser...only Hotspot Browser or Tzones. I've chosen Hotspot Browser.

Also, I don't understand what I need to do to get the UMA connection, unless I just can't connect my BB to my Mac via Mac's built in wi-fi internet sharing.
    04-21-08 02:28 PM
    anyone out there with an 8120 on TMobile who has figured out how to get the wi-fi going without data plan?
    04-21-08 02:31 PM
    New....

I have an unlocked 8320 (T-Mobile phone - 100% T-Mobile OS) on At&t...nothing to do with At&t service would change the selections inside the phone.

Something is wrong with your settings and/or router.

When you go to Options>Advanced>Browser....those are your only choice?
    04-21-08 03:13 PM
    I think it is a problem with your Mac.
    04-21-08 03:45 PM
    I have essentially the exact same problem you are having, except with AT&T.

When you turn on advanced diagnostics for the wifi, does it show checkboxes for association and authentication Mine does. Also has blank for Auth Failure reason - I think this means that there is no auth failure. I have checked the router diagnostics and it clearly thinks it is connected to the 8120.

I'm still waiting to hear if anyone with AT&T and an 8120 and no data plan has had success connecting to wifi.

Anyone? Please share stories of your success.
    04-23-08 09:20 AM
    no data plan, no access to any wifi. i have the pay per use data plan on the edge network but with the data services on or off , i still can't connect to a Wifi. same thing, the BB sees it, but the browswer won't get data. frustrating.
    04-29-08 08:19 PM
    I got my 8120 yesterday. Connected to the WiFi network, could not get past the router. You have to turn on the "data services" in 'Mobile Network Options', in 'Manage Connections'.

I was worried this would charge me for connection and data transfer, it does not. I don't have a data plan.
    04-30-08 10:40 AM
    Can you do this with a Verizon 8130?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-08 05:20 PM
    any solutions to this guysss im stuck here, i've tried everything said on this board and nothing, im successfully connected to my home network and i have the black wifi logo with lower case uma in the home screen but when i try to surf on the browser it says that i cannot find the server.?? Any help
    09-27-08 10:29 PM
    by changing the options of the browser in two places: Browser configuration: change the Browser to Hotspot Browser and make sure you save the setting by choosing this option from the BB button, next is General Properties, Default Browser: Hotspot Browser and save again. After I have done that my BB Bold was able to access my home WiFi with WEP and I have no plan .
    12-26-08 07:14 PM
    I'm new to WiFi and BB and I have a doubt: when I'm home or somewehre with WiFi, do all the phone's functions go through WiFi, including phone calls, or just the data?
    Thanks.
    JPM
    12-26-08 07:22 PM
    I got it!
    okay, so connect to the WIFI and then go to your browser, push the menu button and go to options>General properties. and where it says default browser put Hotspot Browser and you should be able to go on the internet with no problem.
    12-27-08 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD