I was thinking to myself the other day 'how far are RIM going to upgrade the OS for the 81XX series before they completely phase it out?' Are they going to go as far as 4.6 or even 4.7? I know that the days are numbered for this range and they will soon be joining there predecessors like the 71XX series. But as a theme designer I want to breath a little life into this device before its time is up. I want to be able to go as far as a full screen banner and gradient effects for the menu bars (etc) before this happens. Just a thought....
    12-23-09 07:52 PM
    I think OS4.5 is the end of the line for 64MB devices. The 8330 is the only legacy model that is getting OS 5.0. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by OS 4.6 or OS 4.7 for the 81xx, but it seems unlikely RIM would spend the resources on older devices.
    12-23-09 11:42 PM
    I think OS4.5 is the end of the line for 64MB devices. The 8330 is the only legacy model that is getting OS 5.0. I'd be happy to be proven wrong by OS 4.6 or OS 4.7 for the 81xx, but it seems unlikely RIM would spend the resources on older devices.
    Oh well time for me to upgrade then but that wont be in a hurry (maybe February if I'm lucky). Thanks for the prompt answer though....see you soon bold or maybe curve owners...
    12-24-09 01:41 AM
    I wouldn't give up on the Pearl form factor, it is right behind the Curve in best selling models of the past couple years. They will be with us for a long time yet.

12-24-09 10:15 AM
    I wouldn't give up on the Pearl form factor, it is right behind the Curve in best selling models of the past couple years. They will be with us for a long time yet.

there is already a new pearl that is going to be released soon. I forgot the model number but i think its 9100 series or something like that.
    12-24-09 10:17 AM
    there is already a new pearl that is going to be released soon. I forgot the model number but i think its 9100 series or something like that.
    yes, with amazing hardware upgrades and os 5.0, supposedly in the coming months.
    12-24-09 03:40 PM
    Yea doubt it will upgrade above 4.5 since there is a new pearl floatin around n bb space tht supposedly has a 5.0 os.lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 08:15 PM
    I have read about the 9100 on the forums. What Ive seen so far I'm quite impressed.
    12-25-09 01:22 PM
    I'm not crazy about the 9100. It has sort of a cheap, childish toy-like look to it. Looks as if it were a Nokia, or something. I love the classic 81xx device. They just need to upgrade the hardware...instead of making every BB device look essentially the same.
    12-29-09 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD