Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How do you transfer ringtones from internal memory to micro SD?

Hello,

I have a BB Pearl 8130 and downloaded some ringtones from here. I did not have a micro SD card at that time, but I just bought one this week. I want to transfer the ringtones from the phone's internal memory to the micro SD card now, but I can't figure out how. It allows me to transfer pictures though, just not an option for transferring ringtones.

Any suggestions?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    ♥ ♥

I'm actually new at CB but I always would call BB suppport for things lol!! Well i ask about this and they told me I couldn't do that. So hopefully you get a correct answer and we can see. But I was told my Telus BB support I couldn't do it.
    ♥ Wife to Sarfraz, Mom to Aisha & Zahid ♥
    Sarah
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,925 Global Posts

You need to use roxio in desktop manager. For tones that's about your only option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,823 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask!

You can only transfer Ringtones that you downloaded, preloaded ringtones cannot be moved. Just highlight the one you want then hit Menu> Move and follow the prompts.

Also, you can transfer them via Desktop Manager through Media Manager.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

sarfrazfamily got incorrect advice. You can put ringtones on the Media Card. When you format it in the BlackBerry, it creates a ringtones folder. In the future, download ringtones to your desktop and use Mass Storage Mode to move them to the Media Card. That's the easy way, but it won't work for ringtones in the device memory. To move those, you'll have to use Media Manager, either the Desktop Manager version, or the version that's on your BlackBerry. If you just have a few, the BlackBerry method is probably quicker, since you don't have to connect to your computer.

From the Home Screen, run Media. Press Menu and select Explore. You will see Media Card and Device Memory. Select Device Memory / Ringtones. Select your ringtone, press Menu, and select Move. Keep selecting Up until you reach the top of the folder tree, then select Media Card /BlackBerry / Ringtones / Menu / Move Here.

Repeat for each ringtone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    sarfrazfamily got incorrect advice. You can put ringtones on the Media Card. When you format it in the BlackBerry, it creates a ringtones folder. In the future, download ringtones to your desktop and use Mass Storage Mode to move them to the Media Card. That's the easy way, but it won't work for ringtones in the device memory. To move those, you'll have to use Media Manager, either the Desktop Manager version, or the version that's on your BlackBerry. If you just have a few, the BlackBerry method is probably quicker, since you don't have to connect to your computer.

From the Home Screen, run Media. Press Menu and select Explore. You will see Media Card and Device Memory. Select Device Memory / Ringtones. Select your ringtone, press Menu, and select Move. Keep selecting Up until you reach the top of the folder tree, then select Media Card /BlackBerry / Ringtones / Menu / Move Here.

I tried this. There is no 'Move' option in the Menu......at least not on my Pearl.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

Just to be sure I/you didn't miss a step,
    From the Home Screen,
    Media / Menu / Explore /
    You should see a choice of Media Card and Device Memory. Select device Memory. You should see folders for music, pictures, ringtones, videos. Select Ringtones, select your tone, press Menu. You should see a list of entries that includes "Move."

Does that help?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just to be sure I/you didn't miss a step,
    From the Home Screen,
    Media / Menu / Explore /
    You should see a choice of Media Card and Device Memory. Select device Memory. You should see folders for music, pictures, ringtones, videos. Select Ringtones, select your tone, press Menu. You should see a list of entries that includes "Move."

Does that help?
    Under 'Device Memory' there are 2 folders called 'home' and 'samples'. The home folder structure looks like this: "home\user\music\pictures\ringtones\videos\voiceno tes". The 'samples folder structure looks like this: "samples\contacts\folder icons\mms\music\pictures\videos\ringtones". I don't see the 'Move' option in the Menu screen for any ringtone that I select from both ringtones folders. Under Options : Screen/Keyboard, at the very bottom of this screen I have 'Menu Style' set to Full. I have 4.3 OS installed on my Pearl 8120. Are you using the same OS?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    ♥ ♥

Default TY

Thank you for the correct informaion. I will try what you listed as well to see if it will help me lol!
    ♥ Wife to Sarfraz, Mom to Aisha & Zahid ♥
    Sarah
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick917 View Post
    Under 'Device Memory' there are 2 folders called 'home' and 'samples'. The home folder structure looks like this: "home\user\music\pictures\ringtones\videos\voiceno tes". The 'samples folder structure looks like this: "samples\contacts\folder icons\mms\music\pictures\videos\ringtones". I don't see the 'Move' option in the Menu screen for any ringtone that I select from both ringtones folders. Under Options : Screen/Keyboard, at the very bottom of this screen I have 'Menu Style' set to Full. I have 4.3 OS installed on my Pearl 8120. Are you using the same OS?
    I'm using OS 4.2.2.196, so that is different. You cannot move the preloaded ringtones by this technique, only ones you have downloaded. The preloaded ringtones are very small and are required for normal operation. If there are ringtones in "home\user\music\pictures\ringtones\..." you should be able to select one and move be an option. If there are none there, then there's nothing to move...
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm using OS 4.2.2.196, so that is different. You cannot move the preloaded ringtones by this technique, only ones you have downloaded. The preloaded ringtones are very small and are required for normal operation. If there are ringtones in "home\user\music\pictures\ringtones\..." you should be able to select one and move be an option. If there are none there, then there's nothing to move...
    Hmmm. I do have 3 ringtones in 'home\user\ringtones' (AM_BubbyAlert.mid, AM_ReceivedIM.mid and AM_SystemMessage.mid) but they all indicate 0kb? Why would they be 0 kb? I tried playing them and nothing happens.....since they are 0kb.
    Anyway, I guess I'll just have to keep all the device memory ringtones where they are for now. Next, I have to remove the T-Mobile carrier theme from my Pearl. Tried using Crackmem and can't seem to get it removed. I PM'd Pete (the person who wrote the app) last night and is currently helping me with that.

I appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Nick917; 08-22-2008 at 06:55 AM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30BABC6E

this helped me. thank you so much!!! I'm lovin' this site!!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I d/l a ring tone to my BB by mistake that was for my wife's Samsung... any way to move the MMS to Media so i can them move it to her Samsung?