I'm used to IMAP, where if I read an email on my computer, it marks it as read on my handheld. If I delete an email from my computer, it deletes it from the handheld. Happens the same way in reverse if I do the above on the handheld.

For some reason, I can't get the BB email program to behave this way. Am I missing something? It just isn't productive to have to keep track of what you have read and what you need to delete in multiple places. That's double the work.

Any fixes for this, or have you guys just been living with substandard email performance/features without knowing that there are greener pastures?
    02-14-08 11:08 AM
    I have 2 email accounts I primarily use. One is .mac, which keeps the mail on the server and as I read it from my Pearl, it automatically syncs it with my computer as the application is just a "window" to the server where the mail is housed.

The other account, my verizon.net, downloads the mail from the server to my hard drive, and then deletes itself off the server. So there's no way to reconcile the computer from the BB if the server no longer has record of what emails were just sent to me.

However, if my desktop is off and I read my emails from the BB, upon sending mail to my desktop, it will reconcile which emails I've already deleted.

Make sense?
    02-14-08 11:15 AM
    I have 2 email accounts I primarily use. One is .mac, which keeps the mail on the server and as I read it from my Pearl, it automatically syncs it with my computer as the application is just a "window" to the server where the mail is housed.

The other account, my verizon.net, downloads the mail from the server to my hard drive, and then deletes itself off the server. So there's no way to reconcile the computer from the BB if the server no longer has record of what emails were just sent to me.

However, if my desktop is off and I read my emails from the BB, upon sending mail to my desktop, it will reconcile which emails I've already deleted.

Make sense?
    Yeah, it makes sense- but that's really not a very efficient way of handling your mail. Mail should come to one central server, and then you should be able to log in with a computer or your BB to view and make changes. Those changes should be automatically and instantly synchronized between all viewing platforms.

Try out Gmail's program for the BB. It works this way perfectly. Only problem, is that it only updates every 15 minutes or so, and I like the ability to have mail come in instantly. Seems like there's got to be a setting on the BB to allow for this.
    02-14-08 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have it this way for a purpose. My phone is both personal and professional and by doing it this way, I can keep those emails separate.

In the future, if I need to switch over, I'll consider GoogleMail, but for now, I like my system!

Thanks!
    02-14-08 12:50 PM
    MisterB, look for my post later tonight on how to get IMAP working correctly on your BB. I've got Gmail reconciling read and deleted messages, plus sent messages. No time to walk you through it now, however. By the way, you seem to be having a very difficult time with the BB. Why did you switch from the Centro if that was working for you? Just curious.
    02-14-08 02:09 PM
    interested to see what daver42 has to say about the IMAP...subscribed
    02-14-08 02:17 PM
    MisterB, look for my post later tonight on how to get IMAP working correctly on your BB. I've got Gmail reconciling read and deleted messages, plus sent messages. No time to walk you through it now, however. By the way, you seem to be having a very difficult time with the BB. Why did you switch from the Centro if that was working for you? Just curious.

I would greatly appreciate your help with this.

I loved my Centro, but the email program is an add on one called Chatter in order to give me the functionality that the stock Versamail can't even come close to offering. It works really well, except for it was designed and sold by a one man shop that isn't fully supporting the product anymore. It seems full of bugs and not very well thought out stability wise.

I'm actually starting to like my BB. The text entry is growing on me, and if I can get some of these problems fixed like the email, I'll be good to go.
    02-14-08 02:34 PM
    Anxiously awaiting your help. Thanks
    02-14-08 11:41 PM
    To get your email to sync,go to "set up internet email" then click on "email accounts" then click on which email account and click edit" then scroll down to "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device" then "click yes" then click "save" and that is it.However,after you delete email from computer or device it takes a few minutes for it to sync.

Good luck,
    Christy in Florida
    02-15-08 12:05 AM
    Anxiously awaiting your help. Thanks
    MisterB, I just posted my directions in a new thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ervices-18788/

Hope this helps you. -D
    02-15-08 11:12 AM
    I am the only BB user in our company and so we do not have a Blackberry Enterprise Server. Therefore I can not get my emails sent to my device directly from the exchange server and I have found that the best way to to use BB is via the Desktop Redirector software on my workstation which also has to stay on 24/7. The problem is that with this system I am not able to wirelessly syncronize deletes or read email so I would have to do the double work. Is there some way to do this that I am not realizing? i understand that others have addressed this question as it relates to Gmail and others but not true corporate email accounts. Please help.
    06-03-08 05:36 PM
    Is there some way to do this that I am not realizing?
    If you have support from (or work in) your IT Dept, Exchange Server does support IMAP access to email. This wouldn't be push like I'm sure the desktop redirecter is, but it should be "two way" sync.
    06-04-08 07:31 AM
    If you have support from (or work in) your IT Dept, Exchange Server does support IMAP access to email. This wouldn't be push like I'm sure the desktop redirecter is, but it should be "two way" sync.
    Ive had my blackberry Pearl for almost 3 weeks. I understand what everyone is saying above, But I am kinda in the situation like the corporate email guy. My company uses an OWA server then I believe it is forwarded to my Microsoft Outlook. No matter if I delete email at work, It will never delete from the OWA server, which I do not want it to. My work does have a BES acct but I didn't get BES thru at&t bc I really can't afford another $15 dollars. I believe our acct is set up for IMAP and POP. I use to fwd my work mail to my gmail and I never had a problem with synchronizing.

I can't set it up like you explained above because I do not want any email deleted off the OWA server. I very rarely delete anything on my work email. Its usually moved to my personal folder in outlook. I just want my phone not to display messages Ive already read and only retrieve new messages. I haven't really gotten any answers except for when I am at work to go online to my blackberry acct and change it to DO NOT FWD. This is a huge nuisance, plus anytime I am in a meeting or away from my desk I might miss an emergency email. Not to count the chance of forgetting to turn it back on when I leave. With so many people using blackberries for work.... there has to be a way. PPPLLLLEEAAZZZEEE HELP!!
    11-17-08 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD