Every now and then, I'll get a complete clean-out of my SMS, MMS, and Call History -- and then won't be able to retrieve new ANYTHING. I'll pull the battery out and do a hard-reset, and then things will start working again, but I won't realize it until I've missed about 3 to 4 texts. Won't ever get them back either.

HELP!!!!
    10-30-08 03:11 PM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    10-30-08 03:17 PM
    It sounds as if you have low free memory. You can check by going to Options>Status. When the BB gets low on memory it starts to delete things like call logs and messages.

Have a look at this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 03:18 PM
    I just checked my file free and it is at 6,000,000 and it hasn't been deleting anything like it would before if I forgot to check it. Any ideas on why its not dumping my call log or messages? I'm not sure if this is a glitch or what because its not lagging or showing any signs of being low. I don't even have as many 3rd party apps or ringtones as I used to have either.

10-30-08 04:01 PM
    I just checked my file free and it is at 6,000,000 and it hasn't been deleting anything like it would before if I forgot to check it. Any ideas on why its not dumping my call log or messages? I'm not sure if this is a glitch or what because its not lagging or showing any signs of being low. I don't even have as many 3rd party apps or ringtones as I used to have either.

You're just lucky.

Seriously, the 12 000 000 limit that we quote is not absolute. It's more like a slope down to the edge of a cliff. The closer you get to the edge, the more likely you are to fall with no warning. 12 000 000 keeps you safely back from the edge. 6 000 000 is balancing on the last bit of loose gravel at the edge of the abyss...
    10-30-08 04:08 PM
    I feel like I have nothing installed on my blackberry. And I've tried the clean-up process to free up some memory, but to no avail. All of my pictures have been saved to my media card, I have three ringtones, NO themes, and barely any applications.

Any further suggestions?
    11-10-08 12:35 PM
    What is your Options / Status / File Free? We've asked you that a couple of times. Knowing that is really the only way we can diagnose what your problem might be.
    11-10-08 12:39 PM
    11-10-08 03:06 PM
    Well, you are right on the edge, so I'm not surprised you have the occasional problem. If you read the earlier posts above, you know that 12 000 000 is the safe lower limit. Whether you realize it or not, you have a lot of something installed on your BlackBerry. The Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig can help you clean it up.
    11-10-08 03:14 PM
    I had been having this problem, about every 3 days all my texts, bb messenger conversations, and call log would dissappear.

It was due to the pearl giving memory priority to the error log, which fills up real quick for some reason.

With my service provider (sprint) the most up to date OS (4.3.0.127) doesn't fix this problem, but there is a workaround.

I've followed this procedure for 2 weeks and haven't lost any more stuff.

1. Once a day, while on the home screen (viewing icons of all your apps) hold the shift key and type LGLG.

The event log (error log) will come up.

2. Press the menu button, and select "clear log"

Scroll down and look at the log if you like before doing this, on mine its about 3 miles long usually.

3. It will ask to verify cleaning, the log. Select "delete".

4. The log will now be empty, and some of your memory will be back.

5. Every 2 days or so, do a battery pull.

Sometimes when you clear the log, the BB wont recognize that some memory has been freed up, but doing the battery pull fixes this.

Hope this works for you. It works for me.
    11-10-08 05:29 PM
    ...Scroll down and look at the log if you like before doing this, on mine its about 3 miles long usually...
    It may be long, but it's just a text file. You can download CrackUtil from here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/. With CrackUtil you can copy the Event Log and paste it into Wordpad on your PC, where you can see how big it really is. If you're clearing it every few days, it shouldn't be large enough to be causing you a problem. If it is that large, then there's something else going on that you probably need to look into.
    11-10-08 10:06 PM
    ok, i tried that, and it only brought mine up to 13 -- i've tried to download the new OS, but my computer sucks, and it won't get past the "starting" for the download...

any OTHER suggestions?
    11-14-08 05:18 PM
    What applications, themes, music, pictures, wallpapers, etc. do you have on the phone??? I'm a new CB user too <3 months (despite my # of posts), and I have 26,xxx,xxx free. SOMETHING is taking all the space on your phone. If you want the phone to be optimal and function appropriately (and not lose things such as call logs), we need to figure out where all the space is being allocated. Give us details! :-)

Oh, and I forgot to add - welcome to the CB family!

Also, are you shutting your apps appropriately? (i.e. clicking the menu key, then choosing close?) Maybe you have a lot running in the background. To check which apps are running, click the ALT+ESC key... this will show which apps are currently running. Once the menu comes up, you can let go of the ESC key and scroll back and forth to see which apps are running in the background.
    Last edited by thepaintedpony; 11-14-08 at 05:48 PM.
    11-14-08 05:44 PM
    ok, i tried that, and it only brought mine up to 13 -- i've tried to download the new OS, but my computer sucks, and it won't get past the "starting" for the download...

any OTHER suggestions?
    If you performed the MOP and only gained 1MB, then you didn't do it correctly, didn't complete it, or you've just got too much stuff on your phone. A thorough MOPing should recover much more than 1MB.

Last edited by JeffH; 11-14-08 at 06:18 PM.
    11-14-08 06:15 PM
    I logged on tonight specifically for this problem. Like the OP, I suddenly started having missed calls deleted as soon as they came in. After finding this post, I checked the File Free and it was 0. Obviously there's something here eating up memory. But what? I don't get emails, I don't text. I don't take pictures or video. I honestly use this only as a really nice phone and when I travel, I set up email. I don't use it for music. I check the internet often but I don't download anything. I've put maybe 3 apps on it and I already deleted one of them. I don't have any themes except those it came with. I haven't loaded any new wallpaper and I've put on two ringtones that are nice & loud (downloaded from here).

I've deleted a few things I know I don't need and now have almost 9,000,000 in free file. But what other things did the phone come with that I don't need? Can I delete ringtones that I don't want? That's what I'll try next. I've been through the MOP post above and done everything except the maxmem.

Can I delete themes? I have 5 themes that came with my phone. I hate 4 of them and would happily delete them if I could figure out how.

Thanks!
    Last edited by operationbabygoal; 11-14-08 at 07:33 PM.
    11-14-08 07:30 PM
    You can't delete the preinstalled ringtones, but they are very small anyway. Is one of the two apps you installed Viigo? There are known memory issues with Viigo.

11-14-08 07:36 PM
    No, I downloaded Google Search, which I'm keeping. I also downloaded Google Maps (deleted) and a game for my daughter (deleted). That's it. Except for Google search, it's almost back to default status. I even deleted two of the three ringtones I downloaded.

I tried to delete themes but couldn't do that either. With everything I've done, it's just under 9,000,000.

I do have a few (like 4) pics on here. I'm going to transfer those over to my card.

Thanks for helping out!

Oh, and I've had my phone since July and it's worked perfectly until now. I'm not sure which OS I have, but I assume it's the newest one. I did go to "check for updates" and it says there aren't any.
    11-14-08 07:50 PM
    You can delete themes. You just have to be careful not to delete the one you're using. It's best to move them to a folder out of the loader directory, rather than delete them. That way they're easier to recover.

One thing I've found is that over time the content store can become quite large. You can reduce its size by clearing it using the Advanced function in Desktop Manager. A somewhat drastic step you can take is to backup your device, then wipe and reload the OS using CrackMem. CrackMem will remove the carrier themes for you as well. Wiping and reloading gets rid of the accumulated remnants of programs that have been deleted. I recovered 7MB when I reloaded this week. CrackMem makes the process relatively easy. There's no guarantee you will recover 7MB, but you will likely recover a significant amount of memory.

11-14-08 08:11 PM
    Ok, thanks for all the suggestions, but i want this fixed, not put a bandaid over it. Unlike "oberationbabygoal", i use this phone for 4 emails, calls, texts, and i have 4 applications installed on it (the one taking up the most space is VZ Navigator - but i know i close it when i'm done using it.)

this is a known problem with the pearl - and i was hoping someone would tell me i can take it to a verizon store (pretend like i don't know a thing), and they will be able to give me a re-furbished phone.

any other suggestions?
    11-15-08 10:36 AM
    ...this is a known problem with the pearl - and i was hoping someone would tell me i can take it to a verizon store (pretend like i don't know a thing), and they will be able to give me a re-furbished phone.

any other suggestions?
    Verizon might give you a new one. Based on what I've seen in posts, a lot of the folks in the retail stores don't seem to understand the memory issues very well. Unless there is something physically defective with your hardware, another Pearl isn't going to help. But since you've tried everything else, it won't hurt to try to make the case for a replacement.

If you're out of contract and not committed to the Pearl design, an 8330 has 96MB memory and will give you a lot more operating room.
    11-15-08 10:44 AM
    I have several MB free and it still does this spuratically.
    11-21-08 08:22 AM
    I have several MB free and it still does this spuratically.
    "Several" may not be enough. You need at least 12 000 000 bytes free for consistent, reliable operation. That's not a hard cutoff, so you may work without a problem at 10 000 000 or even 8 000 000. But you won't have any margin in the event a program uses more memory than it should.
    11-21-08 08:31 AM
    It is less of a problem with your memory, and more of an issue with your OS, it could be out dated.

Call your SP, they should be aware of the issue and have a link that they can email you so you can upgrade the OS.
    11-21-08 08:34 AM
    It is less of a problem with your memory, and more of an issue with your OS, it could be out dated.

Call your SP, they should be aware of the issue and have a link that they can email you so you can upgrade the OS.
    an os install will give you some extra memory but if you don't remove things you will still run out of memory
    11-21-08 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD