Has anyone used the gmail app?
    I can't seem to get it to automatically sync. I've gone through and checked the "always singed in, preload messages, and notify of new mail." settings

I also went through and used the E-mail Setup wizard. I get notifications of messages through the BB software but not the gmail app.

I can open the gmail app and refresh. And it will show the new emails but it wont go out and update on it's own.

Or does it only update every 15 or 30 minutes?

I really like the gmail app because you can search all your old mail and folders, and you can report spam.
    02-23-08 02:50 AM
    The Gmail app doesn't specify how often it updates (helpful, I know)--I don't thinks it's as frequent as 15 or 30 minutes. The calendar sync is about every two hours, maybe gmail is the same.

I find it much more useful/user friendly to use the BB email client. If I want to see other folders, I just log in to Gmail from the my browser.
    02-23-08 10:47 AM
    The Gmail app doesn't specify how often it updates (helpful, I know)--I don't thinks it's as frequent as 15 or 30 minutes. The calendar sync is about every two hours, maybe gmail is the same.

I find it much more useful/user friendly to use the BB email client. If I want to see other folders, I just log in to Gmail from the my browser.
    i agree. this is how i hear a lot of people handle it.
    02-23-08 10:51 AM
    Yeah, I don't use the app... I've gotten too spoiled by Gmail & Yahoo thru BIS being near instantaneous.
    02-23-08 12:05 PM
    For email its about 15 minutes, sometimes less. I'm getting use to it. I use to use BIS, but I hate having to mark my emails as read in GMail. See, Yahoo! does it for you, but not GMail. Albeit using the GMail application it takes care of that for you.
    02-23-08 12:23 PM
    Use the "refresh" option for instant d/l of mail.
    02-23-08 04:34 PM
    I used the gmail app for 2 days and then dumped it. I found having the Gmail pushed through BIS to my BB seemed more effective.
    02-23-08 05:08 PM
    I have the gmail app as well, once you get over the 20 min delay -- it's great. i like having ALL my options available.

I still however have not figured out how to save an attachment I receive in the Gmail app
    I asked a few days ago but no one really knew...

Any help???

thanks in advance
    02-23-08 05:33 PM
    I wonder if it's dependent on the type of attachment...
    02-23-08 05:55 PM
    I love this app. I have quit using the BIS email on the BB. I HATE it. Funny that BB are known for email & I think the email sucks. Sure the Gmail app is not push like the BB app but I don't have any time sensitive emails. For me it's fine to get emails within 15 minutes or so.
    02-23-08 09:00 PM
    Yeah I don't have any time sensitive emails either but I guess I'm just picky that way. I dumped the app too but I may get it again just to use the extra features. Seems like google would want their app to all the best features. They could at least make push an option.

BTW, I love the built in spell checker!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 09:18 PM
    So I know I have asked this before, but here goes again since everyone is watching this thread.

Im using gmail thru BIS to my BB. I have two problems that I cant seem to resolve.

1: I get newsletters and forum discussion to my gmail account, and they are all tagged and archived, thus not showing up in my "inbox", just in the tags. Is there a way to only get certain tags or messages that arent tagged to the BB? I havent found a way.

2: My BB is showing me all the messages I send, which is a pain when I'm at my desk typing away and my phone keeps buzzing at me.

Are these just settings that I am missing somewhere? Ive looked thru all the BB and gmail settings, and cant find a way to modify these.
    02-24-08 02:39 PM
    Question 2)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    02-24-08 03:01 PM
    See, I knew it was going to be something i had managed to overlook somehow. Thanks for the link.
    02-24-08 03:44 PM
    I love this app. I have quit using the BIS email on the BB. I HATE it. Funny that BB are known for email & I think the email sucks. Sure the Gmail app is not push like the BB app but I don't have any time sensitive emails. For me it's fine to get emails within 15 minutes or so.
    Yup, I agree. I always heard how great the email on the BB is, but those folks don't understand how true push IMAP with full sync both ways is supposed to work. it's like they're the horse that's had hay their whole life, but doesn't know that oats are better.

It boils down to this: Is getting your emails instantly on your BB so important, that you are willing to deal with duplicate emails on your computer and your device? (yes, I know about how to fix Gmail on the BB so it doesn't receive your sent items, but if you delete an email from Gmail, it doesn't delete it from your BB. If you read an email on your BB, it doesn't mark it as read on your BB.) Also, I never found a way to be able to see my sent items with the BB email app. Lame. Maybe I want to read something I sent.

With the Gmail app, you get full sync both ways between Gmail and your BB. You can also view sent items, all mail, and perform searches of your entire Gmail database that could potentially be multiple gigs of data. The compromise? It doesn't sync up instantly. It takes something like 15-30 minutes. I truly hope Gmail will fix this on their app to allow for instant push emails and syncs, but until then- this is way better than dealing with shortcomings of the BB email program.
    02-24-08 08:00 PM
    thank u for this link.... very easy fix. i love this place!
    02-24-08 08:45 PM
    Im going to have to disagree with MisterB. Using BIS and gmail, i have full resolution both ways. if i read/delete from either, it justifies on the other. Perhaps you had a setting mis-configd.

When I first set up the bis on my handset i was getting duplicates left and right, and there was no handset-account reconciliation. going thru and modifying settings was the trick to get it working correctly.

I loved the app, but it frequently was more than an hour for delivery, or it would shut down without my telling it to. After setting a few filters up, it was fine tuned to only deliver what i wanted to my handset. its damn nice.
    02-25-08 01:14 PM
    Im going to have to disagree with MisterB. Using BIS and gmail, i have full resolution both ways. if i read/delete from either, it justifies on the other. Perhaps you had a setting mis-configd.

When I first set up the bis on my handset i was getting duplicates left and right, and there was no handset-account reconciliation. going thru and modifying settings was the trick to get it working correctly.

I loved the app, but it frequently was more than an hour for delivery, or it would shut down without my telling it to. After setting a few filters up, it was fine tuned to only deliver what i wanted to my handset. its damn nice.
    You have true live sync BOTH ways with Gmail? If that's the case, this is ground breaking news for Gmail users. Please, do tell how you got this to work. Every time I've had someone tell me this, it turns out they don't really understand what full two way sync means. They figure if they delete an email from the BB and it deletes it from Gmail, they're good to go. Not the case. You need it to work the other way around as well, and also need it to mark items you have read. I really hope you're right.
    Last edited by MisterB; 02-25-08 at 02:28 PM.
    02-25-08 02:07 PM
    I am not sure what gmail application you all are refering too but I have gmail and once I set up the filter to quit sending my sent emails to my phone I love it. I didn't have to install anything extra just used the BIS server to set up a filter.
    02-25-08 02:16 PM
    I am not sure what gmail application you all are refering too but I have gmail and once I set up the filter to quit sending my sent emails to my phone I love it. I didn't have to install anything extra just used the BIS server to set up a filter.
    Gmail has their own software that allows you to view and send emails.

You're sort of missing the point of many of the threads. We know you can get Gmail set up and be able to eliminate sent items from showing up as new mail, but the real key is getting your BB and Gmail to sync up both ways in real time. If you're checking mail with Outlook through Gmail and you get 10 new emails, you'll also get those 10 emails on your BB. Suppose you delete those 10 emails from Outlook, and then leave for a meeting. You're sitting in traffic reading emails, and those same 10 damn emails that you already read, took care of, and deleted are going to be sitting there on your BB staring you in the face as new emails. You then have to figure out if you've already read them and then delete them... A.G.A.I.N... This just isn't an efficient way of handling mail.
    02-25-08 02:25 PM
    sorry I am not getting the point. I have been on gmail for a long time but just got a BB and wasn't aware there was a application you could download. dont even know where to find it.
    02-25-08 02:49 PM
    amba727, go here: http://gmail.com/app from your BlackBerry
    02-25-08 02:51 PM
    Thanks Navi!
    02-25-08 03:08 PM
    One other quick question if I like the gmail app better do I need to turn off the BIS one somehow?
    02-25-08 03:10 PM
    One other quick question if I like the gmail app better do I need to turn off the BIS one somehow?
    If you decide you like the Gmail app more, I'd recommend disabling the BIS one, or you'll get duplicate notifications and emails in two different places.
    02-25-08 03:25 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD