Hey everyone,

I am starting this thread to see what applications everyone on here is downloading and using. Preferably free ones, but cheap ones are also welcome....

What I've got:

================================================== =================

AutoLock from geek and proud - BlackBerry Software

AutoLock automatically locks the BlackBerry keyboard after the backlight turns off, optionally waiting a configurable delay after the backlight shuts before locking the keys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

SoftReset from geek and proud - BlackBerry Software

SoftReset is a program that allows you to easily soft reset the BlackBerry Pearl without having to take the battery out. Here's how it works:

1. Install SoftReset.
    2. To reset, run the application and click the big Reset button. Then, choose Reset Now when prompted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Google Talk from http://mobile.blackberry.com/

This is brand new and works great. For anyone that uses Google Talk it is a must grab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Black Jack and Outbreak games off of http://mobile.blackberry.com/

Two free games that kill time when your pooping (or any other appropriate or inappropriate times)

Facebook right off of http://mobile.blackberry.com/

Works great.

Flashlight - MyFlashlight - Blackberry

It's only 3 bucks and it's always nice having a flashlight in your pocket just in case. You could also not pay the 3 bucks and turn on camera, but i'am not sure if the light stays on for long.

Last edited by McCarthy83; 01-10-08 at 02:22 PM.
    01-10-08 01:18 PM
    I use Opera Mini 4. It is a better internet browser than the included browser. It's free.
    Also, I bought Beamberry. Used to be free but the trial period is over so now it costs $45. It allows you to open email attachments like PDF's, anything from Microsoft Office and more. A little expensive but it works great.
    01-10-08 02:11 PM
    Is Beamberry compatible with Gmail or Yahoo mail? I hate not being able to download attachments.
    01-10-08 02:17 PM
    Thanks man...BJ is fun and I want that soft-reset.
    01-10-08 02:17 PM
    Is Beamberry compatible with Gmail or Yahoo mail? I hate not being able to download attachments.
    My email is my company email that ia a POP3 type. So I'm not sure if Beamberry will work with Gmail or Yahoo Mail. Their website is unclear about that as well but there is a 10 day trial period. They are at BeamBerry - View, Print, Store BlackBerry e-mail attachments

Good Luck!
    01-10-08 02:26 PM
    Yes, BeamBerry is compatible with any mail that comes into your Messages folder.

The new version 3.0 is pretty cool... allows you to save documents to the media card.
    01-10-08 03:01 PM
    I did some testing with Beamberry....

It works with Gmail if you have your gmail setup as a message email provider.

It will not work with the actual Gmail application. Which sucks because I prefer the application over the blackberry email setup.
    01-10-08 03:16 PM
    (about BeamBerry) Used to be free but the trial period is over so now it costs $45. It allows you to open email attachments like PDF's, anything from Microsoft Office and more. A little expensive but it works great.
    Note that BeamBerry is $45 per year. What you are paying for is to have them store your documents on their server and to feed them out to your BlackBerry in little chunks as requested. It's really more of a service than a program.

I'm hoping that DataViz's upcoming Documents to Go for the Blackberry will be self-contained and not require an annual subscription. It works great on the Palm.
    01-10-08 09:08 PM
    Neilwick -

Do you know when this new program by DataViz will be available? Or how much it may be?

45 a year is way to much just so you can save things to their server.
    01-11-08 01:28 PM
    I'm hoping that DataViz's upcoming Documents to Go for the Blackberry will be self-contained and not require an annual subscription. It works great on the Palm.
    Well, do keep your hopes up, but I would not recommend holding your breath.
    01-11-08 02:13 PM
    Concerning your flashlight app, That just uses the screen and the message LED right? It doesn't actually use the FLASH light...?

Can you please describe the app?

Thanks!!
    01-11-08 11:55 PM
    It uses the flash led. You can do this for free. Go to video camera and set the light to default on. The when you open the video camera the light will be on. Presto, flashlight!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-08 09:46 AM
    will this cause the LED to burn out faster???
    01-13-08 10:10 AM
    love the auto-lock application...

but if you decide that you don't want to download that... holding in the * will do the same thing for you.
    01-13-08 06:41 PM
    How long do you need a flashlight for other than a quick look for something. If so then you woundn't want to use it in this manner anyway. So as far as to the life, you will have a new BB long before you burn out the LED.
    01-13-08 07:11 PM
    I do not have a 8130 but I have a 8310 I just would like to know how do u save 3rd party app to your media card or can u do that at all?
    01-14-08 12:03 AM
    LED's have a very long life span, and most are rated at 100,000 hours... so I wouldn't worry about it.

and to the poster above, as far as I know, no Blackberry allows you to access apps off the media card.
    01-14-08 03:01 AM
    It uses the flash led. You can do this for free. Go to video camera and set the light to default on. The when you open the video camera the light will be on. Presto, flashlight!

nice tip, appreciate it.
    01-14-08 03:25 AM
    A couple of free apps that I like.

TwitterBerry for those who use Twitter. Of course the whole Google Suite from Google Apps which includes Gmail, Google Talk, Maps, Calendar Sync, and a few icon shortcuts to mobile Google websites like Picasa or News or Docs. Viigo is a nifty RSS reader. Beyond 411 is a nice general "I want to find info on something" app.
    01-14-08 12:01 PM
    Golden Tee Golf and Pro Bowling 2 by BPlay are both really good games and worth the 13 bucks to have on your phone.

I also use Google Calender a lot and was dissapointed to realize Google didn't have an actual application for Calender and you have to use it through the web (which is pretty crappy).

But I did find out that I can use Google Sync to sync my Google Calender with my Blackberry Calender which works wonderfully, it just sucks you have to sync every time you want to see everything you entered.
    01-17-08 10:00 AM
    blackjack (free) - nice. keeping checking their site, too, for more free games (mobile.blackberry.com)

twitterberry (free)- very easy. can also be used to leave quick notes for yourself to review later. have my twitter feed on my blog's homepage. you can get twitterberry here.

google maps (free), of course.

i also post pics and blog from my berry. setting up one is simple using blogger (owned by google). and free! post your pics and blog on the go, letting your friends and family keep up w/ you. twitter's also great for this, but you can't post pics to twitter.

of course, there are loads of free wallpaper and ringtones out there (and here at cb.com!)

most everything else i use came with the pearl (browser, calender, notepad, camera, etc.)

considering facebook. haven't signed up for that yet, but i know you can also post pics from your berry to facebook, which is great.

good thread!
    01-17-08 10:14 AM
    I also use Google Calender a lot and was dissapointed to realize Google didn't have an actual application for Calender and you have to use it through the web (which is pretty crappy).
    You can set it up so it automatically syncs every 2 hours. Just go under Google Sync, Menu, Select Options and set it to automatic.
    01-17-08 01:10 PM

great call, i caught this late last night, and it saved me from the impending doom that is the garbage can i left in front of my bathroom door (so i would not forget to throw it out, which I forgot anyway!). Great tip Member No.1
    01-18-08 08:41 AM

Haha I know, I posted that tip while ago! It's great to find a free solution!

My only problem is that recently I've been opening up my camera and the light doesn't turn on, even though it is set to! When I press the menu button in the camera app, then it will turn on, but then off again when i close the menu! So annoying!

Thanks though!
    01-18-08 01:23 PM
    Beyond411 - great for searching on stuff in whatever ZIP you set. (movies, restaurants, etc)

Google Maps - awesome if you get lost

Gmail - The blackberry email is faster at reciving new mail, but the Gmail app seems like a mini version of the Gmail site. I like it alot

Other than the free games listed in the first post, that's about all I have =)
    01-20-08 02:05 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD