Still a bit of a newbie here and I am just wondering what the feature Email Reconciliation under the messages icon does?? I am wondering what each function is for:

1. Message services (option of my three acct's)
    2. Delete On
    3. Wireless Reconcile
    4. On Conflicts

Wondering if anyone can give me a tutorial on what it is used for, and how to properly use it.

Thanks!!
    10-19-08 09:39 PM
    All the information on Email Reconciliation is readily available in your User Guide. I downloaded mine from BlackBerry. It's a searchable pdf. Read what it says, and if you still have questions, someone will be glad to help you.
    10-19-08 10:22 PM
    I will look up the User guide thanks, but I usually prefer to hear from real life experiences, shortcuts, when and how to use it properly, etc.
    10-21-08 07:51 PM
    If there were any relevant personal experiences or shortcuts, I'd be happy to share them. In this case, though, just reading the instructions is all you need to do. Set it up, try it, post any questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 08:20 PM
    I was wondering the same thing. Glad you asked!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-08 08:28 PM
    From what I can tell, the Reconciliation feature is useless. I have "synched" up my hotmail account with my Blackberry -- it does a good job of uploading new Hotmail messages to my BB, but if I delete those messages from any source other than the BB, I still have to manually delete them from the BB as well. Going into the menu and saying Reconcile does absolutely nothing for me.
    10-22-08 08:45 AM
    From what I can tell, the Reconciliation feature is useless. I have "synched" up my hotmail account with my Blackberry -- it does a good job of uploading new Hotmail messages to my BB, but if I delete those messages from any source other than the BB, I still have to manually delete them from the BB as well. Going into the menu and saying Reconcile does absolutely nothing for me.

I have selected it many times before too, and have noticed nothing. I use a BES though, (and I have 5 Mailboxes on my Berry). If I delete form any source anywhere, it will delete off the Berry after it syncs itself (BES only).

Welcome to CB

msblueline
    10-22-08 09:05 AM
    From what I can tell, the Reconciliation feature is useless...
    I'm on BES and Outlook and reconciliation works properly. But then, I'm using it in the typical corporate environment for which it was designed. That may be the reason reconciliation works for me.
    10-22-08 09:24 AM
    Please excuse my ignorance...what is BES?

I am running off of the older hotmail account (the "non-premier" version)...I wonder if that has something to do with my sync issues?
    10-22-08 09:24 AM
    BES...Blackberry Enterprise Server, my bad -- I'm still new with the BB and trying to learn everything. I have my suspicions that's partly why I'm having issues
    10-22-08 09:30 AM
    I'm on BES and Outlook and reconciliation works properly. But then, I'm using it in the typical corporate environment for which it was designed. That may be the reason reconciliation works for me.
    Ok, you lost me.

For which it was designed?

You mean the BES or the reconcilliation?

msblueline
    10-22-08 09:36 AM
    Reconcilliation is basically a sync between the device and the server...right!

So, from what I can tell; if one deletes email from a computer and wants the device to be on the same page, choose the reconcile.

Hence, syncing between the two to make the server and the device the same.

Am I close?

EDIT

I guess what loses me the most is the "conflict" who wins, the device or the server.

If there is a conflict, and you have it set to device wins, and you delete email off the server, then it will not delete off the device being that you have the setting to the device wins... So Reconcile will not work in this case right?

Does that make sense?

msblueline
    Last edited by msbluelline; 10-22-08 at 09:50 AM.
    10-22-08 09:45 AM
    Yes, you are correct. That's what reconciliation is supposed to do. And it does it in the BES/Outlook environment for which it was originally designed. BIS email doesn't appear to work exactly the same way, but since I don't try to sync BIS, I can't say what does and doesn't work.
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-22-08 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
    10-22-08 09:48 AM
    yeah, to give a 'real-life' example...i might receive 20 new emails at night while i'm asleep. When i get up in the morning, i delete them from my hotmail account via my home computer.

A little bit later, these deleted messages are still on my BB. At that point I will go into the menu and choose "Reconcile Now", thinking that will remove the messages from my BB that I have already deleted, but it does not.
    10-22-08 09:50 AM
    yeah, to give a 'real-life' example...i might receive 20 new emails at night while i'm asleep. When i get up in the morning, i delete them from my hotmail account via my home computer.

A little bit later, these deleted messages are still on my BB. At that point I will go into the menu and choose "Reconcile Now", thinking that will remove the messages from my BB that I have already deleted, but it does not.
    I think, as I stated in an 'edited' (three above this one) post of mine, that the "conflict" has a lot to do with this as well.

If you have the conflict setting set to "THE DEVICE WINS" in a conflict then it will not delete off your device, because it will win all conflicts.

If you want to have it work then set it to Server wins.

Don't know if you can turn it off.

msblueline
    10-22-08 09:56 AM
    All of my accounts were set up for 'Mailbox Wins' and still when I delete from the mailbox on the server, the messages remain on the BB. I changed a few to the 'Device Wins' for testing.
    10-22-08 10:06 AM
    All of my accounts were set up for 'Mailbox Wins' and still when I delete from the mailbox on the server, the messages remain on the BB. I changed a few to the 'Device Wins' for testing.
    Go into whatever mail box you're wanting to set up.

Menu -> Options -> Email Reconcilliation -> Delete on -> what is selected...

The choices are:

(1) Handheld

(2) Mailbox and device

(3) Prompt

Select "mail box and device" and see if that helps

msblueline
    10-22-08 10:14 AM
    Here's a long thread with some examples of reconciliation in a BES environment: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/i-c...folders-50686/
    10-22-08 10:15 AM
    Here's a long thread with some examples of reconciliation in a BES environment: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/i-c...folders-50686/
    Thanks for that,

I have in my inbox folders marked mom and dad. (BES, mail2web exchange server)

From what I read I got this out of it:

I can see the folders (mom and dad) and they are empty.

All I have to do is open the folder (dad) and while in that folder select reconcile now. It will bring the emails from the server to the folder (dad) on my device.

Am I correct in this or should I re-read it again... *Dun dun duuuun*

msblueline
    10-22-08 10:53 AM
    Go into whatever mail box you're wanting to set up.

Menu -> Options -> Email Reconcilliation -> Delete on -> what is selected...

The choices are:

(1) Handheld

(2) Mailbox and device

(3) Prompt

Select "mail box and device" and see if that helps

msblueline
    That was also already set up. I deleted an item from the server and it still appears on the device. On another account, it was set up with delete from mailbox/device and set up for mailbox wins. I sent a test message to that account and then deleted from the device and it deleted from the account. It works as it should in one direction, but not the other.
    10-22-08 11:04 AM
    That was also already set up. I deleted an item from the server and it still appears on the device. On another account, it was set up with delete from mailbox/device and set up for mailbox wins. I sent a test message to that account and then deleted from the device and it deleted from the account. It works as it should in one direction, but not the other.
    If you delete a message from the deleted items folder on your PC too quickly, it's the same as if you moved the message to another folder. The device loses track of it and doesn't know to delete it. You have to leave the message in the deleted items folder long enough for the device to process it. Here's a thread that describes that in more detail, with examples: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/e-m...53/index2.html
    10-22-08 12:37 PM
    Glad I have started this post, I have basically figured out what this is used for. Thanks!
    10-22-08 01:14 PM
    I am having the same problem with my hotmaill account...i receive many new emails, i delete them from my hotmail account on my desktop

Still these deleted messages are still on my BB. I choose "Reconcile Now", but still no change on my BB. Very fustrating.

I have the following set on my handheld

1. delete: on mailbox and handheld
    2. wireless reconcile: on
    3. on conflicts: mailbox wins

I do not remove my deleted messages from my desktop email accouunt days later, so I don't understand why its not working. Am i missing something
    11-14-08 09:26 AM
    ^^Same thing happesn to me...i have the same settings as you printed above and its with hotmail as well. I delete from computer, mail stnads still on berry for days. Pisses me off.!!..^^
    11-14-08 06:44 PM
    I have the newest blackberry curve with BES and Outlook (strictly used for business), yet I have to manually reconcile to get items deleted from Outlook to delete on my BB. Is this an IT issue? I have read almost every post about this and can't seem to find out what I'm nto doing incorrectly.

Thanks!

MJ
    11-21-08 01:32 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD