Hello I recently got a Pearl and I was wondering how durable these phones are? I switched over from an LG Envy and that phone was a tank. I'm hard on phones so I need a phone that can last. The pearl seems well built I just hope it can last. I just don't want it to break with the slightest drop or something! Opinions wanted!!
    03-19-08 01:03 AM
    Buy a skin for it to help protect against the drops but I have heard good things overall on the durability on the Pearl.
    03-19-08 01:09 AM
    I have a clear skin on my BB and man, let me tell you how Barry is like.... Frank the Tank lol

I've, sadly, dropped my BB tons of times and there are no visible scratches or chips/cracks, nothing.

The Pearl is a great phone :]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 01:12 AM
    I'm a Sprint dealer, got mine a week ago (free!) at training. The trainer opened up by addressing durability, asked "Any Treo users out there?"...a few hands go up, guy behind me has one.... Trainer WINGS his Pearl against the wall 20 feet away, SMACKO! Battery & cover pop off, he pops it back together, works fine. Says to the guy behind me "Your turn!", he sez "That's OK, I'm good".

He cited some very impressively low return numbers, also noted that touchscreen devices are especially prone to breakdown.

He did the entire Powerpoint presentation from his Pearl via Bluetooth. Said he too hated Suretype at first. Not as much as I hate it now, but then I'm a newbie...
    04-04-08 03:02 PM
    Wow, that's some tough stuff.
    I came from an env too and am also very tough on phones, I got one of those thin cases and a screen protector, it's held it's own so far.

04-04-08 03:55 PM
    I came from the VX9800 then the EnV. I know what you mean about those phones being tanks. I think the pearl is reasonably sturdy but I would recommend a case. I use the Seidio Hybrid case and I like it a lot. Doesn't add a lot of bulk but still protects from the occasional drop. It is on the phone in my avatar pic so you can see it doesn't alter the look of the phone much.
    04-04-08 08:32 PM
    I've dropped mine multiple times with no skin. All the way down a flight of stairs. Minimal scratches from the major fall and still works like a charm!!

04-05-08 10:07 AM
    i treat my phones like glass so i can't attest the durability of the pearl, but it seems sturdy. i have the best skins ever and a silicone skin on my 8130. people love my hand-me-down phones because they are always in mint condition. you thought the enV was sturdy? you are not that rough on your phones then. my brother had one and every few months was cracking one screen or the other or sometimes both from dropping it or falling down on it while in his pocket. did you know insurance only covers 2 replacements within 12 months? i do sadly... he upgraded to the voyager and cracked the inside screen within a month. ugh. i pay for it all so i makes me mad when he does it. he's 27 and still has not figured out how to control himself due to his height (he's 6'4'') and is very clutsy.
    04-05-08 12:54 PM
    I had real good luck with my Pearl that I bought in Jan 2007. But, just a couple of days ago, it turned off and would not turn back on. Took out the battery, but would only boot up for a second and turn off. Then the phone started getting really hot. Very hot. Techs tell me that the circuit board is fried. I never got it wet or abused it. Been under cover since day one. I don't know if this is common, but none the less, very disappointing.
    04-05-08 01:02 PM
    My 8130 is pretty touch I went from a seidio skin case to a seidio crystal clear hardcase just so I can show it off more. I also put a screen protector on it and its pretty much setup to last night and prevent scratches/drop damage.
    04-05-08 01:03 PM
    I bought an Otterbox for mine since my job often takes me into harsh environments.
    04-05-08 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD