So we all know the memory on our berry's is pathetic with todays technology. How is it the hard drive is under 100 meg but my media card can hold 2 gigs? I would think if they can get micro cards to hold so much, they should be able to give us more space to put apps on. Anyone else irritated by this?
    05-08-08 04:05 AM
    Me too. I got a 2 gig in my berry and I can't even put apps on it. It has 644mb free, and my bb is just about filled up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-08 04:55 AM
    YES!!! Coming from a palm, where apps can be run from a memory card. I am very disappointed. Hopefully RIM will learn how to do this soon!!!

05-08-08 05:06 AM
    I tried the new application where it moves stuff to and from the card to use it. Not user friendly. Couldn't get the files back.

05-08-08 07:30 AM
    This has to get fixed and RIM must know it. The memory limitation is a fuction of the internal processor's address space.

It can only address 64Mb as it is currently configured.

The Media Card is a peripheral and thus can be any size that the OS defines it to be (currently 4Gb).

The difference is that the internal memory is viewed as a continous list of addresses that start from 0 and proceed up to 64Mb.

The Media Card lives at a single address and once accessed has an internal structure for storin files.

You cannont use the Media Card for programs, just data storage.

RIM's products have been tradistionally sold into the business market that mostly did not install all the wierds and wonderful stuff that we ChrackHeads do so until the last couple of years, the memory limitation was not a problem.

With the products now reaching the general phone population, this is probably the most serious threat to the Backberry's sales growth.

The guys at RIM must surely be onto this and be working on a way t improve things.
    05-08-08 08:08 AM
    I do sincerely hope so, I get very frustrated with the lack of space for apps and constantly doing battery pulls to maintain a certain level of free memory space so I don't lose emails etc... I would imagine RIM must be doing something with the next gen of BBs to maintain their market share...
    05-08-08 10:11 AM
    I agree. WTF RIM? Get ur ship together, YO!
    05-08-08 10:14 AM
    Im sure they are working on it. When the BB rep presented to us the curve, she insisted on the fact that it has 96megs and spoke about the memory problem with the pearl. Lets have hope

05-08-08 11:54 AM
    I just look in our database of problems with phones and i have an answer

''Advise client that battery resets will resolve the problem when it occurs until new software is available.

A resolution WILL become available via new device software however there is no current ETA. ''
    05-08-08 04:16 PM
    Yeah i thoght that was interesting that i got a 4gig microsd and it can only hold data. And at only 20 bucks!
    05-09-08 02:15 AM
    This is a hardware issue that the engineers at RIM have to resolve.

Dm

05-09-08 02:41 PM
    I agree, but what the BB lacks in, by far makes up for in other ways.... there will never be the 'perfect phone'!!
    05-09-08 02:52 PM
    I ditched my Pearl due to its low memory. It totally crippled this phone and made it nearly unusable to me. I'm getting the Curve at the end of this month. Hopefully the higher amount of memory will help...
    05-09-08 08:46 PM
    This has been huge annoyance for me as well. And probably my only real issue. I'm hoping Kevin is right when he posted he thinks the 9000 will come with a gig of memory. That would be awesome.

05-09-08 11:13 PM
    A gig would be nice I have an 8 gig microsd but it wont save apps or so i cant use them which sucks.
    05-11-08 03:06 AM
    Doesn't this have something to do with the fact that the onboard memory is like L1 and L2 cache on a pc, it has a high latency. and is different from standart FAT storage space. But i agree, its a poor show from RIM
    05-11-08 04:47 PM
    Yeah, this lack of memory issue definitely bugs me. And to add further insult to injury, the memory that is provided on the hard drive "leaks". Like a sieve. I know there are some folks who pride themselves on having as much 'File Free' memory as possible on their Berrys and if that's what floats their boat, cool, but I bought my Berry to be able to do more than just make phone calls, check emails, and surf the web. To have to do a soft reset every other day or so or pull the battery to regain 'lost' memory is downright annoying and ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong; I love my Blackberries and I push RIM to whomever I can, but I look forward to the day when these memory problems are squared away once and for all.
    05-11-08 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD