Hi -

Is there a way I can set a custom SMS ringtone for a specific contact? I know how to set a custom phone ringtone.

I get text messages from dispatch for two fire departments that I belong to, and would like to be able to distinguish between a SMS from a friend with an emergency dispatch SMS.

Maybe I need to make them a level 1 message?

Thanks!

PJ
    01-23-08 02:26 PM
    Nah, you can only set tones for the incoming calls from specific people. Sorry.
    01-23-08 02:32 PM
    You can set a specific tone for SMS, just not individuals.
    01-23-08 03:56 PM
    Sorry people! But, you can set a tone for SMS for specific people. It's a lot of work...

First, create a new profile. Once done, add an exception. In the exception for the 'use profile' field, select said profile...

Yes, I've tested it, and yes it works. But, not really worth doing...
    01-23-08 04:53 PM
    That's why I'm here, to learn something everyday...and have fun.
    01-23-08 05:05 PM
    Sorry people! But, you can set a tone for SMS for specific people. It's a lot of work...

First, create a new profile. Once done, add an exception. In the exception for the 'use profile' field, select said profile...

Yes, I've tested it, and yes it works. But, not really worth doing...
    Actually that would work just fine for since there is only one person I want to do that for. But the only exception option I see in the menu is custom phone tune. Is this what changes it?
    06-08-08 04:32 AM
    Actually that would work just fine for since there is only one person I want to do that for. But the only exception option I see in the menu is custom phone tune. Is this what changes it?
    Actually you make a whole new profile with the tone for the person you want and attach the profile to the person in your address book. Thats what I did and it works great.. I had previously downloaded ringo but it froze my phone up all the time tis works great!
    07-28-09 12:47 PM
    How do u attach a profile to a person in ur address book. All it'll let me do is add custom ringtone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 11:59 AM
    does it work on all pearls
    02-09-10 11:21 AM
    [Video]Setup Contacts With Diff Sounds And Unknown-Pri Callers (updated) - PinStack.com

go there i did a video on how to do this, with out a 3rd party program im pretty sure i talked about the cus sms/ and the whole ringtone for known/unknown contacts so
    02-11-10 04:48 AM
    omg jst orderd the blckberry what would yous say ?? is it better than the iphone
    08-01-10 04:27 PM
    yes i resently just got the blackberry tour in the mail not even 3 weels ago, now when i try to go into the profile i custom made it will not let me i can click on it & nothing happen,im pretty sure i'm doing this right,because i have it all set up how i wanted it but i was gettin tired of the same stuff over && over so i wanted to change everything around now i can't do nothing besides leave it as is which will drive me crazy, or keep it on silent or what not all the time can somebody please help me anybody else had this problem,this is my first blackberry ever! because if its something weong with the phone then im taking this back to verizon or if its my doing then someone please tell me how about fixing it thank you
    08-09-10 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD