The guy at AT&T told me that he is not sure if I can send pic messages without the internet on the blackberry pearl 8110. He said that the older blackberry this was true but he's not sure if they fixed it for the new blackberry. Can I send a picture in a text message just the way I would with any other phone?
    05-18-08 09:30 PM
    No you cant. MMS requires data transfer which uses the internet. U can copy a pic in text but it should change to a mms msg.
    05-18-08 09:35 PM
    Tmobile allows this for free. With every other company you need a data plan.
    05-18-08 09:48 PM
    Wouldn't that be multimedia messaging or mms?

Why can't you do it If you have a texting plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 11:47 PM
    Sending picture messages on most carriers uses data to send the picture component of the message. That's why on a "dumb phone" when you send or receive a picture message the data arrows on the phone will light up. Text messages, on the other hand, do not use the same kind of data system used to transmit picture messages. That's why you can send and receive text messages even if you don't have any kind of data plan on your phone. It's also what allows the "old school" picture messaging where someone would send you a picture and you would get a text message on your phone directing you to a website where you could view the picture.

If you don't have some kind of data (which on the BB is generally the Internet plans) your phone is literally incapable of sending or receiving the picture part of a message.

Well; I should say I know that's for sure how it works on US Cellular, but I'm pretty sure it's generalizable to other carriers.
    05-19-08 12:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD