Hello All,

I got a blackberry about a month ago and now it has started to delete my call log and text messages daily. I've already looked at the options but i still have no idea why this is happening. Help Please
    07-15-08 12:11 PM
    You are very short on memory. Just happened to me a few days ago. Get a memory card.
    07-15-08 12:38 PM
    If you have lots of ringtones and pics you should get a memory card and save them to that. However, do a battery pull while the phone is turned on. It resets the BB and gives you memory back that may be hung up in apps. I have to do it about once a week to keep my 8130 fresh. Hope this helps. You can also delete pre loaded apps and stuff you don't need. There's a thread on that topic on here. Search for it and read it. You'll be happy you did.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 12:47 PM
    I had this problem as well. Delete the preloaded BlackBerry video that came with the phone and that will instantly free up a chunk of memory for you. Also, you should understand that you are low on DEVICE memory. You need to free up memory on the Pearl (apps, games, ringtones, preloaded pics, etc.); a memory card will not help unless you are able to transfer files off your device and on to the storage card. From what I understand, applications and games will not run off the memory card, therefore cannot be transferred, so make sure that you don't have too many installed and are bogging down your phone.
    07-15-08 01:05 PM
    Try these steps. Not in any certain order.

Closing Open Applications
    ALT+Escape/Back Key
    Make sure you haven't left applications open.
    There should be 5 applications that are always open.
    Default 5: Phone, BBmessanger, Browers, Homescreen, and Call Log
    You may have other 3rd party applications that may have to run in the background, but most can be closed.

Auto Delete ON/OFF
    Under Messages:
    Select Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Options
    Select General Options
    Keep Messages: (Shortest is 15 Days, Longest is Forever)

Battery Pull
    Pull out battery and leave out for 30 Seconds.
    (I do this at least once a week) Just for safety and memory leaks.

Check How much free memory you have
    Options -> Status -> File Free: XXXXXXXX Bytes
    Make sure it's not low.

Clear Event Log
    Press ALT + LGLG
    Menu/Blackberry Button
    Select Clear Log

Clear Browser Content Cache
    Open up your Browser
    Menu
    Options
    Cache Operations
    Clear Content Cache

Delete unwanted Applications to free up Device Memory
    By using your Desktop Manager, and Application Loader
    uncheck unwanted Applications also unused Language Packs

*Most importantly if you have been storing Media on your phone without a Media Card,I would suggest getting one. Remember you only have 64mb of phone memory and the OS will take up about 20mb. So you're working with only 40mb of free space!
    07-15-08 01:50 PM
    My fave question! where are my boys McClure and Stoner! LOL! Optimize that memory baby. Search "how to increase free file" on the forum, and you will see what you have to do...
    07-15-08 02:08 PM
    i have the same problem.. the directions above dont always make sense. I seam to have my call log and text messages automatically deleted even if the phone battery isnt low.. i just got this phone and am constantly confused and frustrated. How do you erase preloaded pics? they are on lock. How do you delete preloaded apps? Languages? I dont even have any ringtones, barely any pics and dont get this.. just pist I guess.
    07-15-08 08:44 PM

Hello All!

First time poster... and very annoyed pearl owner...
    Got my first one less then 2 months ago and after about 3 weeks it started deleating everything... so I took it to Bell and got a second phone.. and here we are about 3 weeks later it has started doing it again.

I deleated videos, ect and tried everything that has been suggested... so I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Does this happen to alot of Pearls?

My Phone is my everything - lol -
    Please help!!
    Thanks!
    07-16-08 12:58 AM
    How much free space do you have?

07-16-08 05:58 AM
    Check how much memory you have avaible.------ Go to options on your home screen, then status and you will see how much memory you have avaible
    07-16-08 06:16 AM
    You can delete applications you don't use on the Pearl itself, or with the Device Manager software that you use on your PC. I have Verizon, and on my Pearl 8130 my Application List is located by going to the "Options" icon, then I scroll to "Advance Options" and click on it, and I select "Applications". I scroll to highlight the one(s) I want to get rid of and press the left button next to the trackball and select delete.

I removed the languages I don't use or need through the Desktop Manager software for the PC.

As for deleting the pre-installed video that comes with the device, it is not locked, so that one you should be able to delete without a hassle. I'm not sure about the locked preloaded pictures though...

Also, keep in mind that your calendar entries, address book, and saved messages / emails take up memory as well.

You really need to look under the "Status" and see how many bites are showing for "File Free". If it's none, then you need to take immediate steps to free up the Pearl's device memory, or it will continue to not give you messages and delete certain things because it has no memory to store the new information coming through to your Pearl.

If the free file amount is low, then you need to either free up some memory, or be extremely cautious with how much more device memory you use, before you use it all up and end up with none, and have missed messages and deleted logs too.

If anyone is having a really hard time understanding how to free up device memory, rather than exchange your Pearl for a new one at the store, see if their troubleshooting department can walk you through and show you how to do it instead. Otherwise, you will just keep having the same problem with each new phone you get.
    07-16-08 01:19 PM
    Thank you Kaitlin! I will try that when I can use a computer.. I didnt know I had to hook it up to a computer to free space. My free file is 0% and that makes total sense why I cant see any calls and any messages.. I guess I have too many contacts cause I have nothing else on my phone.. which makes no sense to me. I guess I thought cause its a do-everything phone I thought It could hold a **** ton.. and I wouldnt have to get a memory card.. more money oh well . Thanks for helping everyone!
    07-16-08 05:00 PM
    Thank you Kaitlin! I will try that when I can use a computer.. I didnt know I had to hook it up to a computer to free space. My free file is 0% and that makes total sense why I cant see any calls and any messages.. I guess I have too many contacts cause I have nothing else on my phone.. which makes no sense to me. I guess I thought cause its a do-everything phone I thought It could hold a **** ton.. and I wouldnt have to get a memory card.. more money oh well . Thanks for helping everyone!
    THe one thing that everyone forgot to mention is Stoner guide. You can find it here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also something that can quickly free up a lot of room is the program:

MaxMem 0.2 on your device, goto BlackBerryTrade.com and select the link Apps. Click on the link OTA to start the download and automatic install.

This OTA utility will recover quite a bit of additional space, comparable to the advanced steps. Don't forget to delete it when you have finished.

MaxMem must be used with caution, particularly the option to remove Themes. There is no provision for restoring them many optional themes use them for resources. If you go too far, you will have to complete the steps under Better to restore a missing theme.

That should free up some MB quickly. Then when you have a bit of time to sit down do most of stoners guide. I went from 6mb to a constant 17mb with about 7 apps, so I am safe and sound.
    07-16-08 08:11 PM
    You're welcome, Dizon311! But, you can still delete applications you don't use on the Pearl itself right away by going to the Application List on the phone without having to use a PC, if that's quicker for you.

Naudan, it was nice of you to post a link to the guide, instead of having to do a forum search to find it.

I know from my own experience how frustrating this situation is, and I just remember being so upset and thinking, "All I want is for this f***ing thing to work!" I really hope everyone gets their memory issues fixed so that you can enjoy your device the way it's meant to be!
    07-18-08 11:43 AM
    thanks everyone. i got a memory card and deleted a whole bunch of stuff i dont use and my phone is working fine now !
    07-23-08 02:36 PM
    i have a 2 gig mem card on my 8830, is there a way to route the cache or temp memory to the card so that it wont use up the phones memory?
    07-24-08 08:17 AM
    i have a 2 gig mem card on my 8830, is there a way to route the cache or temp memory to the card so that it wont use up the phones memory?
    what do you think these are, windows mobile devices?!

haha

07-24-08 12:09 PM

I'm in real estate and the blackberry 8310 has inadvertantly deleted record, clients, notes that I had on my outlook calendar. Not knowing that it was happening, the sync with my desktop deleted these files on my outloo desktop as well.
    Rogers led me on for 6 months not addressing the real issue that blackberry has an auto delete software built in to all it's devices. with the level of emails I receive, and information stored on the device, it would happen without my knowledge.
    just plain poor programming on blackberry's part. Certain features will not automatically store on a card ( I have 2 gig) so that didn't help.
    I've switched to HTC windows mobile based, more stable than treo, no danger of auto delete, but you do need to back up in case there's a crash. Hasn't happened yet ......
    I have lost over $100,000 in commission because of lost calendar records, and rogers leading me on for 6 moths with reprogramming the device, trading the device, reprogramming the device, and finally admitting that it does this.
    they were not going to give me an alternative device, but i cried, and they gave me the htc s621 as an exchange. I am still thinking of suing the company for lost income. if there's anyone else in a similar position, prehaps we can pool our resources.
    07-24-08 01:44 PM
    i have a 1Gig card and yet it stll says 0 free space??
    09-19-08 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD