I'm not entirely sure where I stand with my new 8120, is BB Maps available for it on Orange in UK? Or if not is there an equivalent that I can use?

To clarify - it is a map service (obviously) that you can plan routes/journeys and be located from where you are? It sounds like a must have application, so I'm keen to install it, but can't seem to find out how.

Many thanks
    04-05-09 03:31 PM
    I think Google Maps might be your best bet (I believe it works in the UK). As you don't have an internal GPS in your 8120, Google maps will locate you by cell tower triangulation. Not anywhere close to as accurate as GPS, but better than nothing at all. You can get Google Maps over the air to your device by pointing your BB Browser to m.google.com.

As far as BB Maps goes, I don't have it as it is not available on AT&T in the US...but from what I have read Google maps is as good, if not better in certain circumstances. BB Maps may not be made available to your device by your carrier due to the lack of internal GPS, though that is only a guess on my part.

You could also look into getting a bluetooth GPS receiver to 'add' GPS to your device. Check out the GPS and Mapping forum for more info in that regard.

Hope this helps you out.
    04-05-09 03:48 PM
    Thanks for your help, that is really useful. I assumed that BB Maps wouldn't work on the 8120 as it has no GPS, however I was getting confused as there is an option to define the map provider that you would like, and it only offers BB maps. The second confusing thing is that the Carphone Warehouse website (where I purchased my phone) lists 3g as one of the 8120's functions, but I was aware before I bought the Pearl that one of the things that people complained about was that although WiFi had been added it had been at the loss of GPS.

I have downloaded Google Maps, and it works very well, I haven't yet testedit when I am actually lost, so that is a chalenge still to come!
    04-07-09 06:14 AM
    It's useless if you are lost! It will tell you roughly where you are but can be up to a mile away. If you need to get from A to B and know the postcodes then it works the same as aa route finder and can be great if you follow it perfectly. There's no point getting the bb with wi-fi, the internet on it is fast enough already, if i had the choice again i would definately change and get the gps enabled bb. i have used wi-fi once in 10 months but would have used gps about 100, but then it all depends on what you need. BB maps doesn't work at all on your phone and it even has enable gps in the menu but that does nothing as well.
    04-07-09 06:29 AM
    I like google maps. I'm just not good with navigational devices. I got Bergerking lost in Georgia. And he doesn't get lost. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD