When switching from Good Messaging and Treo 755p to a Blackberry Pearl 8130 I was very excited about the new features that just worked: GPS, Gmail, facebook, etc. I never thought I would need to check into the email, calendar, contact and other PIM synchronization as Blackberry has been doing that for sometime now (and I thought was the standard that others measured themselves to).

Boy was I wrong! After many I attempts I know realize that synchronization of email on a Blackberry is about like POP mail 15 years ago on steroids. Maybe as good as IMAP...

I long for the days of Good Messaging and/or Active Sync where what I see in outlook or webmail (via exchange server) is what I see on my handset. I get very frustrated when I clean out my inbox via outlook and the emails stay on my phone. I am using BES so I thought this would be simple. Yes most of the time when I delete email it will delete on the hand held. But when I file it rarely works (yes I have the setting selected to hide filed messages). Occasionally, in Good I would tell it to forget and re-sync everything. To do this with BES I need to get a new password to do an enterprise activation.

I hope I have this all wrong and my 8130 can be tweaked to always show what is on my exchange server.

Thanks...
    03-09-08 09:22 PM
    When switching from Good Messaging and Treo 755p to a Blackberry Pearl 8130 I was very excited about the new features that just worked: GPS, Gmail, facebook, etc. I never thought I would need to check into the email, calendar, contact and other PIM synchronization as Blackberry has been doing that for sometime now (and I thought was the standard that others measured themselves to).

Boy was I wrong! After many I attempts I know realize that synchronization of email on a Blackberry is about like POP mail 15 years ago on steroids. Maybe as good as IMAP...

I long for the days of Good Messaging and/or Active Sync where what I see in outlook or webmail (via exchange server) is what I see on my handset. I get very frustrated when I clean out my inbox via outlook and the emails stay on my phone. I am using BES so I thought this would be simple. Yes most of the time when I delete email it will delete on the hand held. But when I file it rarely works (yes I have the setting selected to hide filed messages). Occasionally, in Good I would tell it to forget and re-sync everything. To do this with BES I need to get a new password to do an enterprise activation.

I hope I have this all wrong and my 8130 can be tweaked to always show what is on my exchange server.

Thanks...
    Maybe it's your BES? I have my BIS bb set so that if I delete it on my bb, it's gone from my aol acct as well.....and if I've read it on my bb, it shows up as "read" on my aol acct.
    03-09-08 09:47 PM
    I am sorry you are experiencing so many issues with your Blackberry... I haven't had any of the problems that you have described with my 8130 on the BES.

While these are simple ideas, I realize... have you tried:

1. Email Options > Email Reconciliation>
    Delete on: Mailbox & Handheld
    Wireless Reconcile: On
    On Conflicts: (whatever you want here)

I hope you are able to get the answers and solutions you need to get your Blackberry up to your expectations. I have had both a Treo and a Blackberry and I would NEVER go back to Treo. Not even if my life depended on it!!

Stick around here and let the great folks at Crackberry get you on track!!
    03-09-08 11:03 PM
    I am on a BES as well and have those settings and it still doesn't clear them out of my deleted/trash when I delete them.
    03-10-08 11:02 AM
    Tried speaking with your local BES admin?
    03-10-08 11:50 AM
    Lonnie, how much spam do you get on average?
    03-10-08 01:14 PM
    Lonnie, how much spam do you get on average?

lol! my thoughts exactly!
    03-10-08 01:52 PM
    Well my Bberry BES admin consists of one guy who is kind of learning as he goes with the BES Express service. So it is not that big of a deal and I quite frankly can live with it versus putting more on his plate. He did quite a bit for me to get it all up and running. Having to go into my deleted folder/trash every few days and clear it out is not that big a deal.
    03-10-08 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the posts!

I do have my settings as mentioned above and I have talked to my BES admin. When I delete or read messages things work pretty good as long as I do not empty the deleted folder on exchange before the next reconcile.

I do get SPAM on the order of 20-30 per day that is caught before it hits my exchange inbox. Not sure BES has a chance to even know about the messages...???

I am looking for the simple what I see in outlook is always what I see on my handset. Was 99.9% that way with Good Messaging and when it was not I could easily do a clear and resync.

Of course now my "Sent" folder is not visable... I think maybe I should just wipe the handset and do an enterprise activation.

I do love my handset overall, just had higher expectations for PIM sync and it seems it is worse than Good messaging or ActiveSync.

Thanks,

Lon
    03-11-08 08:35 PM
    Have you tried the "reconcile now" option on your BB? I'm a BIS user, so I really can't offer much more than that.
    03-11-08 08:46 PM
    Have you tried the "reconcile now" option on your BB? I'm a BIS user, so I really can't offer much more than that.
    Yes I have
    03-13-08 10:43 PM
    03-24-08 03:37 AM

Color me confused.... what did this fix?
    03-24-08 07:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD