Knock down your screen brightness. Seems to have worked 4 me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What level do you have yours set to? Mine is already down to 70.
    11-27-07 08:05 AM
    Haha I put mine at 10 because I am addicted to the internet and need all the battery I can get.
    11-27-07 09:12 AM
    Haha I put mine at 10 because I am addicted to the internet and need all the battery I can get.
    10 is a little too dark for me, even with the iBerry theme. I dropped mine to 50 and I'll see how much that helps.
    11-27-07 09:40 AM
    My bb sometimes has a mind of its own, even though I have it set at 10 I think sometimes it goes to 100 on its own.
    11-27-07 10:13 AM
    My Pearl 8130 is my first BB device. I must say, I am very pleased thus far (omitting Sprint's lack of MMS support).

However, in searching for battery issues with this phone, this is the most recent threat that I could find. It seems as if people are complaining that their battery is not lasting nearly 2 days? If this is true, then this solidifies for me that either I, or my phone, have an issue.

I woke up at 9 a.m. today, and by 4 p.m. my battery was critical. The phone was hardly under any stress outside of a few messages (texts as well as email) that were sent and received. My signal strength is great in my area as well, so I am assuming that it is not a "constantly searching" issue.

I charged the phone in it's entirety, and left for a class at 7 p.m. By 10 p.m. I had lost 25% of the battery. I had sent/received a few messages during a 5 minute break, but other than that, the phone had been in the provided sleeve that is equipped with the magnetic sleep mode.

Before I am willing to take the trip to a Sprint store and go through the hassles of their tests or whatever they do to see if I am just a stupid person as a preliminary to getting a new battery, I figured I had better ask a few questions here. (By the way, the discussions here were a primary source of my switch to BB)

Being new to BB's, I am wondering if I am handling programs incorrectly. I am used to hitting "End" to quit programs. I have quickly realized that this is not the case with the Pearl. I have accidentally left Navigation running before, and not until it told me that it was "Checking for Traffic" did I realize that "End" does not mean "Quit". You must use the "Back" button to exit the program.

As far as I could tell, in my aforementioned night-class scenario, there weren't any programs running in the background that I could not see or was unaware of. When I got home, I opened each program in the applications menu and made sure of it.

However, seeing as I had already made a mistake while adjusting to the new operating system, I was wondering if there was anything else that I should know? Perhaps the "obvious" has not been quite so obvious, as it rarely is when assimilating to new technology.

The only adjustments/additions I have made to my phone are:

1. Increased the # of vibrations for all notification options.
    2. Installed BBSmart Email Viewer.
    3. Installed Ramble IM.
    4. Setup 3 mail accounts to be notified of through BIS (perhaps BIS is draining battery by checking for emails? Although I had thought that they are using an IMAP IDLE command that is supposed to significantly reduce this.. and perhaps this is in relation to the desktop redirector. Sorry, I am still learning!)

Some final notes:

The phone is only 2 days old. I had setup the desktop redirector, had trouble with it, so switched to BIS (not sure why this would matter). I am using the Sprint theme. My network is consistently connected to 1xEV.

Hopefully I have provided enough information to answer my question: Do I just suck it up and head to a Sprint store, hoping they do not keep my phone for too long while assessing if my battery is a dud or not? Or, am I just missing something.

-- Shane
    11-27-07 09:36 PM
    Has anyone had a problem with overnight drain? I have mine powered off and it still drains the battery. Last night I tired turning off the radios (BT, GPS, Cellular). That worked and no battery drain. Something is accessing the power even when it is supposed to be off.
    11-29-07 04:13 PM
    I'm in the same boat as Shanek. I've lowered every single setting down, turned of bluetooth and wifi, and the only thing I haven't done is prevented it from searching for a evdo network.

Yet, today when I take it out of the charger at 8, and check back at 3 in the afternoon, I notice that it's charge is 60%. The only thing I did was make 1 30 second phone call and 2 text messages.

There has to be something wrong if everyone else is getting at least 2 days worth out of their battery on standby.

I hope someone can address this issue, because I'm planning on calling up Sprint and asking them whats up?

Edit: So I did call up sprint, but they were unable to tell me specifically what was wrong other than it might be a faulty battery. He said that it should last at least a day, but it didn't even meet up to that mark.
    Last edited by rabidbunnyz; 12-21-07 at 05:13 PM.
    12-21-07 04:55 PM
    with mine not great battery life... but def. better than my v710

again end of the day with a lot of maps, browser, music and things, i usually am @ 50%

one day i noticed i was at 30% at the end of the day and one of the biggest factors was that the buttons in my pocket are constantly being pressed during school

especially the camera button, which does drain alot

so i now use the keylock alot and now it's constantly 20% better
    12-21-07 05:47 PM
    You should try locking it then, there's no excuse for pressed buttons in your pocket! Hold down the button on the top of the phone, and press it again to unlock. I do it habitually every time i put it in my pocket..

You guys should know that the battery drains much quicker when it's below 50%.. or at least the meter shows that. I will last a fair amount of the day with 3/4 and then the remaining quarters drain rapidly... just try to charge it for 5 minutes here and there and it will last much longer, and have a full battery when you need it
    12-21-07 07:40 PM
    You should try locking it then, there's no excuse for pressed buttons in your pocket! Hold down the button on the top of the phone, and press it again to unlock. I do it habitually every time i put it in my pocket..
    nice... standby mode is pretty cool

thanks man, just gave me a great idea... i thought locking it was good but standby mode is even better

but will you get calls and messages with it still in standby?
    12-21-07 09:55 PM
    Yes you will it just pretty much locks out the keyboard, and keeps the phone from turning on accidentally... It's great and you really save on battery life because i'd check my phone and see like 4 pictures of the inside of my pants pockets.. so huge battery drain right there..

You get used to it eventually, I know it is a pain for Verizon users because there is a confirmation every time you try to access it. If you put the Spring or Alltel software on there you can get rid of it, although I have not done that.
    12-21-07 11:40 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD