Hi

My Blackberry battery has died really quickly. As of last thursday I only got 7-8 hours out of a full charge. Today the battery appears to have been deteriorating even when the BB was turned off, and now even though it is turned on and plugged into the charger, it is not responding intermittently when I press a button (well, the lights on the keypad light up but the screen doesn't.

Any ideas/suggestions? I thought it may have been due to an application I downloaded, however I got rid of this and the problem is still there. Around the same time the phone started to be really slow and I couldn't press more than a couple of buttons when writing a text without seeing the egg timer. I removed the battery and replaced it and this seems to have cured that problem, so the only issue now is the battery.

Any help gratefully received!
    10-07-08 02:19 PM
    Do you have facebook installed? Started using a new theme recently?
    10-07-08 02:24 PM
    Yeah, I do have FB installed, have had it for ages now.
    10-07-08 02:28 PM
    FB has been giving people a lot of issues lately. You could try removing it to see if it does indeed solve the issue. If it doesn't, you can just put it back.
    10-07-08 02:31 PM
    I was just about to start a similar thread.

About 10 days ago I had my Pearl replaced under warranty. Ever since switching to the new one I have been getting horrible battery life. I have the same OS as my old one, same applications, I am very careful about the free memory and deleting calls/messages. I updated my roaming profile and even deleted the new google maps app i had installed, yet I cannot last a full day on one charge. I made sure I do not have any apps running in the background as well. GPS is not activated on my phone either (Thanks Verizon!).

Last night it was fully charged at 11pm. I went to bed and when I checked it at 7am I was down to 55%. I made/received NO calls, and only about 6 emails came through. I have great reception where I am too.

On a normal day of sending/receiving emails and a dozen phone calls or so I am down to 45% by lunchtime.

HELP!
    Last edited by tim k; 10-08-08 at 11:41 AM.
    10-08-08 10:06 AM
    I was just about to start a similar thread.

About 10 days ago I had my Pearl replaced under warranty. Ever since switching to the new one I have been getting horrible battery life. I have the same OS as my old one, same applications, I am very careful about the free memory and deleting calls/messages. I updated my roaming profile and even deleted the new google maps app i had installed, yet I cannot last a full day on one charge. I made sure I do not have any apps running in the background as well. GPS is not activated on my phone either (Thanks Verizon!).

Last night it was fully charged at 11pm. I went to bed and when I checked it at 7am I was down to 55%. I made/received NO calls, and only about 6 emails came through. I have great reception where I am too.

On a normal day of sending/receiving emails and a dozen phone calls or so I am down to 45% by lunchtime.

HELP!
    Are you using facebook?
    10-08-08 01:03 PM
    no. never had facebook.

Also, this is the same battery that was fine in my original phone.
    Last edited by tim k; 10-08-08 at 01:16 PM.
    10-08-08 01:13 PM
    I would complain to your carrier about it then. It's not right that they give you a replacement and it doesn't work correctly from day 1.
    10-08-08 01:20 PM
    To pre-empt any other questions....

I updated the PRL (*228) because I was in Vegas when I swapped phones and then came back to the east coast. I thought maybe that was a problem but that didn't help.

As for the signal, I am in Philly so I have great coverage. I am almost always at 4-5 bars in 1XEV mode.

I called VZW and they offered to swap out the battery. If that doesn't help, they said they can switch phones again. That will be a pain, but not as much as a dying battery I guess.
    10-08-08 02:13 PM
    Do you have facebook installed? Started using a new theme recently?

Removed it, along with MSN messenger and Google Maps. Phone now works like a dream, battery not a problem at all. Thanks!
    10-08-08 02:25 PM
    Oddly, after my battery dropped to 10% last night, I fully charged it, pulled the battery (again), let it reset, and left it sit all night. This morning it was fine....over 90% charge and now, several hours later I am still holding at 85%. We'll see if this holds up. I may still swap the battery for a new one b/c....well...hey, new battery!
    10-09-08 09:10 AM
    is there anyway to get an extended battery life for a BB?
    10-09-08 10:44 AM
    The CB store sells an extended battery.
    10-09-08 12:54 PM
    Hi

My Blackberry battery has died really quickly. As of last thursday I only got 7-8 hours out of a full charge. Today the battery appears to have been deteriorating even when the BB was turned off, and now even though it is turned on and plugged into the charger, it is not responding intermittently when I press a button (well, the lights on the keypad light up but the screen doesn't.

Any ideas/suggestions? I thought it may have been due to an application I downloaded, however I got rid of this and the problem is still there. Around the same time the phone started to be really slow and I couldn't press more than a couple of buttons when writing a text without seeing the egg timer. I removed the battery and replaced it and this seems to have cured that problem, so the only issue now is the battery.

Any help gratefully received!

Hi,
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I've had my BB bold for 3 weeks now...2 weeks in started having battery issues where it would drop off quickly and would not last a full day! In reading through enough forums I figured out that the issue is NOT the applications per se....it is that we don't close out of the application all the way so they stay running in the background!

Facebook and Viigo seem to be big culprits of this - especially facebook as it seems you have to log out 2xs (if you went to mobile site, back in the app be sure to click options/sign out) and then close out! Took me awhile to figure all this out but my battery is doing much better!!! At this time of day a few days ago I would have lost half my battery life and now I'm almost full still.

This should work for all of you rather than having to DELETE your apps!!
    01-23-09 05:31 PM
    thanks abbeyzmom that was a great help. I have viigo and didn't realize why battery was declining so fast.
    01-23-09 06:12 PM
    dit all that and Im still having problems?!?
    01-23-09 08:11 PM
    Hi,
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I've had my BB bold for 3 weeks now...2 weeks in started having battery issues where it would drop off quickly and would not last a full day! In reading through enough forums I figured out that the issue is NOT the applications per se....it is that we don't close out of the application all the way so they stay running in the background!

Facebook and Viigo seem to be big culprits of this - especially facebook as it seems you have to log out 2xs (if you went to mobile site, back in the app be sure to click options/sign out) and then close out! Took me awhile to figure all this out but my battery is doing much better!!! At this time of day a few days ago I would have lost half my battery life and now I'm almost full still.

This my 2 cents:

I've had my BOLD for approx 2 1/2 months and starting really using it at the beginning of the year. The battery is PATHETIC!. At approx 5pm I'm already down to 45-50%!!! This is ridiculous and unacceptable! I am really teed-off!!! You cannot begin to imagine. I am a Power User lots of calls and lost of emails and Text messages. I thought I was buying a Thoroughbred. If i wanted a gadget I would've bought an Apple i Phone. I'm on the road a lot and need something that will last two (2) days at least. with Blue tooth on...

Don't really need WiFi if I have 3G now will i? My N-73 would last for 3 days with me yapping away and emailing constantly (via blue tooth headset)!?! I've tried many if not all possibilities to help reduce battery drain;

Screen intensity set to 40.
    Screen Time-Out set to 20sec

Never use blue tooth (Cant connect to my GOLF-GTanyhow...
    Never use WiFi. Turned on once during the holidays to connect to my home AP.

Removed BBerry Messenger
    Removed MSN Messenger

Removed Google Mobile Sync..Causes memory leak(s) and drains battery. Battery lasted 50% longer after removal. Pity though did a nice job with syncing up my calendars.. :-)
    Set to stand-By Mode every chance I get.

Place in holster (not handy when your on the phone a lot!?!)
    Use Shortcuts instead of going through the Menu continously.

Upgraded OS
    Downgrade OS

No FaceBook
    No Google Maps
    and NO GPS

There are NO applications running in the background that i can think of...!??! etc etc...and still. Just darn pathetic! I evenried black & white for a while.

I mean come on RIM get your act together! My other pone (Nokia n-73) does not have this problem! My PSP can be used for a full day (24hrs) with wireless on & gaming and still have some juice left?!? WTH?

I dare anyone from RIM / Telco to come up with better ideas to preserve the battery.!

It has been suggested that I buy a long lasting battery but why didn't RIM supply this in the first place. It's not a toy it's your Office in your pocket. How can you have freedom if you continuously have to think about your next charging point?!?

Last but not least, has any one heard of the (rumor) that AT&T & T-Mobile had postponed the launch of the i Phone 3G in the US due to similar problems with the i Phone's battery?

Does anyone here have any ideas?

If not for PATHETIC Low Class battery I would be completely satisfied with m BOLD. It does what I want it to do...And what I expected.

My Specs:
    v4.6.0.216 / Platform 4.00.183 (was 4.6.0.147)
    Carrier is KPN

Enjoy your weekend People..And remember Don't leave

home without it..Ur Charger that is...
    Last edited by NOKJAA; 01-23-09 at 08:20 PM.
    01-23-09 08:14 PM

Last but not least, has any one heard of the (rumor) that AT&T & T-Mobile had postponed the launch of the i Phone 3G in the US due to similar problems with the i Phone's battery?

Does anyone here have any ideas?

If not for PATHETIC Low Class battery I would be completely satisfied with m BOLD. It does what I want it to do...And what I expected.

My Specs:
    v4.6.0.216 / Platform 4.00.183 (was 4.6.0.147)
    Carrier is KPN

Enjoy your weekend People..And remember Don't leave

home without it..Ur Charger that is...
    To my knowledge the iphone 3G is already out in the US!!
    01-23-09 08:56 PM
    thanks abbeyzmom that was a great help. I have viigo and didn't realize why battery was declining so fast.
    Glad I could be of help to some users. It's been a dream for me now and I use my budget and facebook apps A LOT (oh and text and have a few calls).
    01-23-09 08:58 PM
    To my knowledge the i phone 3G is already out in the US!!
    I know that. What I'm saying is there is / was a rumor that the launch had been delayed due to extreme poor battery performance due to 3G. Evidently AT&T and T-Mobile found this out and had a pow-Wow with Apple to fix this. How long the delay was I don't know.

Take a look at this link: >>>

Apple lists ways to extend iPhone battery life - don’t use any of the new 3G features | Gear Diary. Evidently These devices come loaded with all kinds of features and whatnot but you're advised to turn then of..!?! WTHeck?

Here is he full Google Query:>>>

battery problems apple iphone 3g - Google Search
    Last edited by NOKJAA; 01-24-09 at 09:28 AM.
    01-24-09 09:11 AM
    I have had this problem with both my curve and my pearl. The batteries they send with these phones are junk and RIM and the carriers should be ashamed. They want you to use the applications but won't give you the power to use them. If I decide to get away from a berry, that will be a reason why..
    01-24-09 09:45 AM
    I have had this problem with both my curve and my pearl. The batteries they send with these phones are junk and RIM and the carriers should be ashamed. They want you to use the applications but won't give you the power to use them. If I decide to get away from a berry, that will be a reason why..
    Here Here!!!

Shame on you RIM..Shame on Ya!

I second that. That would be the only reason I would go back to my Nokia... :-). Turned off 3G and will be testing tomorrow (Sunday) all day.. :-( As I have nothing else to do!?!?
    01-24-09 03:40 PM
    Is there a way to check and see if there are any programs running in the back ground, kinda like a task manager?
    01-28-09 05:53 AM
    Hi,

Thank You! I was just being a good camper and searching thru the posts because I just noticed my battery draining faster than it should. I'm going to do everything I've read in these threads and hope it gets better. I haven't even had the BB for 6 weeks and this just started so it must be user error! Thanks guys! I love Crackberry Nation!
    01-29-09 07:45 AM
    Update-Ive had the bold for almost a month now and resoved the app issues draining batt. Now I get about a days worth of use which includes about 2.5 hrs talk, lots of text, and some app and internet use. This is what I got out of my palm batt. I'm guessing its typical for todays technology even if it isn't the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD