Anyone currently using an 8120 w/ T-mobile prepaid sim card? This is the kind of sim card where you just buy 1000 minutes and they last a year or until you use them up. I just want to verify that this still works before I buy an 8120. Thanks.
    07-24-10 12:27 PM
    We were until just a couple weeks ago when we switched to postpaid and kept the same phone ($60 / mo for 4 lines couldn't be beat, even with prepaid). It worked fine. Regardless of what the salesman at Best Buy (or wherever) tells you, you can't use a block of your minutes for data, though. All we really cared about was that we could use it at our home for calling over wifi, since we get no cell coverage out here. That works great, as does browsing the web over wifi.

Good luck. It should work fine for you.
    07-25-10 09:11 PM
    yep...as a extra phone, work mainly. no probs what so ever, i even have it unlocked so i can use it with a pre paid sim with both tmobile & att . i switch sims depending where i go with it for signal reasons

tcamshafter
    07-25-10 09:22 PM
    I've been using a T-Mobile prepaid SIM for over a year, on various phones. I just got my 8120 yesterday, and so far it works fine for voice and SMS (I can receive SMS messages and answer them, but cannot originate them).

I have set up WIFI for my home network and the web browser works fine. I can't get e-mail, Facebook or Twitter apps to work, they keep on trying to connect to the T-Mobile data network.

Any help on getting those apps working would be welcome!

Walt
    08-19-10 08:48 AM
    I have set up WIFI for my home network and the web browser works fine. I can't get e-mail, Facebook or Twitter apps to work, they keep on trying to connect to the T-Mobile data network.

Any help on getting those apps working would be welcome!

Walt
    Unfortunately some applications simply won't work over a wifi, they are written specifically to use the mobile data network instead. Fortunately some of them (GMail for example) have good web-based alternatives that can be used through the wifi browser.

Hence while the wifi on the 8120 is a great feature, there are some useful functions that simply aren't available on it without a data plan through your wireless carrier.
    08-22-10 04:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD