Hi,

We have wifi woes with our new unlocked blackberry 8120 and seek the help of the community.

The goal:
    Our group purchased an unlocked 8120 in order to use its wifi to test an in -house website for mobile usability.

The problem:
    The browser cannot connect to any local web sites, even though the wifi diagnostics can successfully ping and lookup hostnames via dns.

The data:
    1) initially I could connect and browse on my home wifi network
    2) a co-worker inserted his sim card to test calling.
    3) we have since removed the sim card. In theory wifi should work
    4) we added our the mac address of the blackberry to our work's wifi router
    5) at this point we could do the following:
    * connect to the wifi network
    * get an IP address
    * ping from the blackberry
    * dns lookup from the blackberry
    * additionally, the SSID displays on the home page
    6) yet at the same we noted the following:
    * the 'wifi' status indicator on the home is disabled (gray, not blue)
    7) We have selected 'hot spot browser' as the default browser. The browser says "hotspot"
    8) Additionally, I have since brought the 8120 home and can no longer browse at home (though ping and dns lookup work). Thus the situation is the same "at home" and "at work"

Detailed description:
    a) the browser cannot connect to a local web server, even when I specify the IP address as the hostname (e.g. http //10.0.0.20/)
    b) when I try to browse this site, it says "requesting...." and the status bar churns along, but ultimately says 'cannot connect'

Additional note:
    As I mentioned earlier, when I first got the phone, I took it home and successfully connected-and-browsed to my home wifi network.

Now I cannot browse at home, even though I have acquired an IP address, and can ping and dns-lookup

What's changed? AFAIK we have only done the following:
    -we inserted (and removed) a sim card

A Red Herring? Http Proxy
    We use an http proxy (apache squid) to connect the outside world. We understand the blackberry 8120 browser does not support using an http proxy. This should not present a problem as we only want to set internal websites. We can use the data plan

Thanks in advance for any insights.
    Last edited by billmil; 10-31-08 at 10:44 AM.
    10-31-08 10:42 AM
    I got past the problem by doing a 'factory reset'

After the reset, I re-entered the wifi network info and changed the browser default to 'hotspot'.

I can now browse via the wifi.

The factory reset 'fixed' the problem. I'm not sure what was broken, however.
    10-31-08 11:32 AM
    Have you verified Hotspot Browser with a known good site like Google?

If it will not connect to Google, you do have configuration issues. If Google responds correctly, you can proceed with troubleshooting your internal site connections.
    10-31-08 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD