Should the wi-fi internet capability of the 8120 work without a data plan or even without phone service. I have t-mobile with no data plan but would like to use the wi-fi internet browser at public wi-fi hotspots. Mine will not work like this. It seems as if T-Mobile has disabled the browser.
    08-30-09 11:39 PM
    There are three seperate Browers on your Pearl, the one that works on Wifi it the Hotspot Browser.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser. Set Default Browser Configuration too Hotspot Browser.

If you are still having problems

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

If everything is working correctly, you will see a status of Network Aquired, if not, there should be an error message to explain why it failed.
    08-31-09 10:05 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem.

When I did the wifi diagnostics the status of Network Acquired says "authentication failure"

And idk if it makes a difference, but if I scroll down to under UMA, it says "UMA wifi available: [check mark]"

I can browse the internet with the browser, but not a lot before it will say something about me not having the data plan (and yes my wifi is on, and I've even tried this with the mobile provide option off)... Otherwise no IMs and no apps that need internet at all.

...I'm a little more convinced t-mobile has disabled wifi browsing.
    09-07-09 01:40 AM
    ...I'm a little more convinced t-mobile has disabled wifi browsing.
    T-Mobile only allows you to use Wi-Fi for certain apps & certain browsers.

You have to change a few settings as the other poster stated in order to use the browser. But without the data plan most features of your blackberry are useless making your BB almost useless.

I'd suggest getting a Data plan.
    09-07-09 01:45 AM
    That's what confuses me because I've had my BB for a while and had it perfectly like I wanted, wifi and all.

I was on a contract with my family, and even had the t-zones browser disabled, but everything worked fine. Now that I'm on my own contract, A lot of features aren't there anymore; even though it's the same phone, same provider, unlimited text, t-zones is enable (no plan).
    09-07-09 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD