Well I finally got my own BB after setting up everyone else's in the office. Girlfriend was nice enough to get me a 8120 Pearl so I could browse via wifi rather than spend the money on per kilobit prices [I'm on an ATT Go Phone "plan"].

So I go through what I normally do set this and that up and I finally get the wifi to work but yet the connection drops after about 20 seconds or so. I turn off the wifi turn it back on...magic the wifi browser works again...long enough to download the gmail app but not long enough to install because it needs an active connection.

After some more research I decide to go ahead and update to the newest version of software 4.5 [whatever the sticky is at the top]. Well Desktop software 4.3 is the only supported version for the Pearl or so says the blackberry tech support page. After uninstalling 4.7 for now 4.3 I still have the issue of the device still not connection via usb.

I pull out my mother's pearl [sprint version no wifi so 8110?] connects with no problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...sorry for the long winded post. The more details the better.

BB 8120 EDGE/WIFI v4.3.0.72
    Desktop Software v4.3.0.17
    Vista Business 32bit [unless there is a Deb version of Desktop!]

Any other questions let me know I'll try to answer them the best I can.

Please help!
    12-25-08 04:04 PM
    Stange that one device will connect but the other fails. I would try a repair re-install of the BlackBerry Desktop Software. That will restore the USB connections and hopefully let both devices connect.

Your Wifi connection issue could be caused by interference. The first thing you can check if Connections / Wifi Options / Wifi Diagnostics / Site Survey. That will identify all broadcasting souces in range. Look for strong signals on the same channel or adjacent channels.

There is another source of interference that does not show up in Site Survey. 2.4 GHz is commenly used for cordless telephones. I have notice using one nearby will cause a UMA dropout.
    12-25-08 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

I have tried reinstalling, reboot, retry. The Sprint Pearl was seen mine was not again. Tried another usb cable her's worked mine did not. I wondered if it was the usb connection on my phone but I plugged in the wall charger and my phone will charge!

I'll try a repair reinstall now.

I went through the Connections and my router [that I'm sitting right next to] was the only seen. Our wireless lan line is a 5.8 ghz so I'm not sure if it would interfear with my router. We have 3 laptops in the house and no one has issues connecting to my router.

Going to my GF house where she set up her wireless network and had no issues what-so-ever at her house.

Any other ideas?

Repairing right now [oh and thanks again for the quick reply!]

*edit*
    Is there a definitive way to tell if the Pearl is charging? I know with the Curve's I have set up for the office they actually have a little USB connection next to the battery bar.
    Last edited by Outinthedark; 12-25-08 at 04:28 PM.
    12-25-08 04:25 PM
    802.11g

In 2002 and 2003, WLAN products supporting a newer standard called 802.11g emerged on the market. 802.11g attempts to combine the best of both 802.11a and 802.11b. 802.11g supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps, and it uses the 2.4 Ghz frequency for greater range. 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b, meaning that 802.11g access points will work with 802.11b wireless network adapters and vice versa.

Pros of 802.11g - fast maximum speed; signal range is good and not easily obstructed
    Cons of 802.11g - costs more than 802.11b; appliances may interfere on the unregulated signal frequency

802.11n

The newest IEEE standard in the Wi-Fi category is 802.11n. It was designed to improve on 802.11g in the amount of bandwidth supported by utilizing multiple wireless signals and antennas (called MIMO technology) instead of one.

When this standard is finalized, 802.11n connections should support data rates of over 100 Mbps. 802.11n also offers somewhat better range over earlier Wi-Fi standards due to its increased signal intensity. 802.11n equipment will be backward compatible with 802.11g gear.

Pros of 802.11n - fastest maximum speed and best signal range; more resistant to signal interference from outside sources
    Cons of 802.11n - standard is not yet finalized; costs more than 802.11g; the use of multiple signals may greatly interfere with nearby 802.11b/g based networks
    BlackBerry is 802.11g compatable, are you using the more advanced 802.11n gear?

There have been reports of issues with backward compatibality in some gear. Worst case, continued restarts when attempting a connection.

Is there a definitive way to tell if the Pearl is charging? ...
    The LCD icon gets a little plug shaped icon while charging. You can monitor battery charge with VAD (Check Status) or Options / Status.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-25-08 at 04:38 PM.
    12-25-08 04:33 PM
    BlackBerry is 802.11g compatable, are you using the more advanced 802.11n gear?

There have been reports of issues with backward compatibality in some gear. Worst case, continued restarts when attempting a connection.
    802.11 b/g mixed
    Linksys WRT54G v5
    12-25-08 04:36 PM
    802.11 b/g mixed
    Linksys WRT54G v5
    No doubt about the hardware, exactly the same as mine and I have never missed a beat on two BlackBerrys.
    12-25-08 04:41 PM
    I would update to version 4.5 phone software.
    12-25-08 10:59 PM
    I would update to version 4.5 phone software.
    Would love to but still cannot get a machine to see my Pearl connected via usb [Unless I can update on OSX? Don't think there is BB software on OSX is there?]

I was able to connect to my GF's mac and charge via usb...not sure if she installed anything but the battery bar did change like the other Curves I have set up to the battery bar with a usb cable like it would with the wall charger. Maybe it was the machine I was using last night but nothing I have tried this morning has gotten my Pearl to be seen.

I was also able to surf non-stop on her network so my issues at home. It is set up WPA and my Pearl was able to connect no problem to the router any more clues as to why it would drop out after 20 seconds? Is there an FAQ of how to set up my router for my blackberry?

Just before I download any other desktop software for the 8120 I should be using Desktop version 4.3 correct? And it should include 8120 drivers correct?
    12-26-08 09:30 AM
    On the support forums a member suggested his Storm did the same thing when there are multiple access points.

Any chances setting from "Automatic" to "Manual" connecting would help stay connected to my router?

I was able to surf up to 7-10 minutes at a time last night with no issues. Seems odd because I was actually 1 bar's worth of wifi connectivity rather than now sitting right next to the router not being able to connect.
    12-27-08 09:38 AM
    Still having issues not being able to stay connected even though my connection is set to "Manual".

Anyone else care to help out. I cannot find any issues except with my network which runs 3 laptops wirelessly in the house with no issues at all. Why is my BB 8120 Pearl the only exception?
    01-03-09 12:30 PM
    I recently bought a Pearl 8120 for T-Mobile and am having the same USB issues as you. It does not connect to USB on WinXP. Connects, syncs and everything on OSX with PocketMac, but you cannot update the software on the BB on OSX.

After trying to plug into USB the wall charger then does not work until I do a battery pull to get charging working again.

I've tried various versions of Desktop Manager, I really have no idea why it don't work. To compare, I have updated a Curve to the latest software with no issues on the same machine.

All of my wifi works as expected though, works very well in fact.
    01-26-09 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD