Hello,

New user to the Blackberry world and I'm getting addicted. I have tried to stop the auto text on my 8120. I did it one time and then I was able to use the single or double tap you type. The auto text is not something I enjoy. I want to be able to type with out it. I turned the auto text in SMS to disable but it still is on for emails and text messages.

Any thoughts?

Thanks form a newbie
    05-12-08 09:09 AM
    You are referring to SureType.

AutoText is something totally different on the BB.

Go to Options > Language Input. Make sure that Input Method is set to MultiTap.
    05-12-08 09:17 AM
    AWESOME thanks that worked!!
    05-12-08 09:25 AM
    I have an 8120 and want to change to double tap.

I've gone to options, but I don't have "Language Input" in the menu list!

So how the **** do I make my phone allow me to type in a manner that will take me seconds rather than minutes (when the people at BB invented Sure Type where they on drugs???)
    09-24-08 06:24 PM
    it's easy type out the word you want without looking at the screen and only press each letter once... when your done with the word look up, 99% of the time it figures out the word your trying to spell (unless you suck at spelling), trust the software it works if your having problems with it I guarantee it's you and not the software...
    09-24-08 06:35 PM
    If all else fails check out the countless other threads involving suretype, and you'll figure it out. haven't you ever used T9 before??
    09-24-08 06:38 PM
    it's easy type out the word you want without looking at the screen and only press each letter once... when your done with the word look up, 99% of the time it figures out the word your trying to spell (unless you suck at spelling), trust the software it works if your having problems with it I guarantee it's you and not the software...

I'm a stickler for correct spelling, punctuation and grammar, even in text messages... and that includes spelling words such as you're correctly (unlike you!). However, when typing in place names and surnames etc., Sure Type makes what could be a very simple operation a pain in the arse (notice how I spelled that word correctly, too!).

Furthermore, surely it should be I, as the owner of the device, that should decide what it is I wish to type, not some piece of software designed by a drugged-up geek on one too many Starbucks!

Thanks for your (lack of) help... I'm sure in your case any problems you may have are down to you and you alone. In my case, with this particular problem, it's down to the software, not me!
    Last edited by fullserviceuk; 09-24-08 at 07:02 PM.
    09-24-08 06:59 PM
    If all else fails check out the countless other threads involving suretype, and you'll figure it out. haven't you ever used T9 before??
    I hate predictive text because most of the time it "predicts" wrongly!

I've spent the last 4 or 5 hours searching every possible thread!!!

There isn't a single one that seems able to answer my query, that's why I eventually posted... in the hope that someone with a brain cell (rather than an attitude problem) might be able to help.
    Last edited by fullserviceuk; 09-24-08 at 07:05 PM.
    09-24-08 07:01 PM
    Before you bash blackberries and suretype, maybe you should become more familiar with your device.

There is a custom dictionary function in which you can add words and names you use often. The phone will instantly recognize these phrases. In addition, your phone will, over time, "learn" how and what you type and will actually train itself to these particular words.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-08 07:04 PM
    Before you bash blackberries and suretype, maybe you should become more familiar with your device.

There is a custom dictionary function in which you can add words and names you use often. The phone will instantly recognize these phrases. In addition, your phone will, over time, "learn" how and what you type and will actually train itself to these particular words.

I've been using Blackberries for several years now, so please don't make facile remarks like "maybe you should become more familiar with your device".

You seem to miss the point... it should be down to the user to decide whether they wish to use any form of predictive text or not. I choose not to. All I'm asking is if someone knows how to change the settings.

The original answer above says to go to OPTIONS and then choose LANGUAGE INPUT. Unfortunately, on my 8120 there is no such option as LANGUAGE INPUT, and having trawled through every possible option on the device, having read and re-read the manual several times and having trawled every relevant thread in this and other BB user forums I still can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm bashing this particular Blackberry because it won't allow me to type messages, input contact names and addresses, etc. in the way I wish to.

If I type in the name Sathyaram Varadagupta into my 8820 or my old Nokia, it takes a few seconds. On the 8120 it takes close to a minute because of the bloody stupid software. Given I have clients from all over the world with exotic names and "unusual" addresses, I'd like to type in the info "manually" rather than by "predictive" or "Sure Type" text.

Is that too much to ask?
    09-24-08 07:23 PM
    Sigh. I'm not sure what your particular circumstances are or what you're missing, no offense, but there IS an option to disable suretype. It would be downright ridiculous for RIM to have not included the option to turn this feature off.

09-24-08 07:28 PM
    Furthermore, if you are so versed with the ways of blackberry devices and technology as a whole, what reason is there for you having not started your own thread as opposed to hijacking a thread that died months ago?

09-24-08 07:29 PM
    Sigh. I'm not sure what your particular circumstances are or what you're missing, no offense, but there IS an option to disable suretype. It would be downright ridiculous for RIM to have not included the option to turn this feature off.

I'm sure there IS a way but no-one seems able to find it! (BTW, shame you can't spell "offence" properly, even when using your Sure Type enabled Crapberry!)

Furthermore, if you are so versed with the ways of blackberry devices and technology as a whole, what reason is there for you having not started your own thread as opposed to hijacking a thread that died months ago?

I "hijacked" this thread because if anyone else is having the same problem as me, the original answer, which seemed to work for one person, won't necessarily work for someone else... as I have shown.

Posting here is actually serving a greater purpose that had I started a new thread (with all the resultant moronic cries of "use the search function" etc)
    09-24-08 07:37 PM
    All I can say is:

09-24-08 07:39 PM
    All I can say is:

Thanks for your dismissive attitude.
    09-24-08 07:45 PM
    I have the 8120. I have mine set to SureType. If I ever need to switch to Multitap in the middle of typing, like entering a password, I hit the menu button to the left of the trackball, scroll down to 'Enable Multitap' and select it......and vise versa. SureType works great, just keep typing out the word without stopping and it will figure it out for you 99 % of the time. As mentioned, in cases where you need to type in a password or a word not recognized by your device, switch to Multitap for that moment. Adding words to the dictionary helps as well.

Last edited by Nick917; 09-24-08 at 08:33 PM.
    09-24-08 08:24 PM
    I am not being dismissive, and I am a member of CB to help others the best I can. However, when another member appears unresponsive and unwilling to accept my help, there's really nothing left for me to say or do. I gave you possible solutions to the best of my ability, which YOU dismissed. Your combative attitude tells me you won't accept anything I have to say beyond this point.

09-24-08 08:29 PM
    I have the 8120. I have mine set to SureType. If I ever need to switch to Multitap in the middle of typing, like entering a password, I hit the menu button to the left of the trackball, scroll down to 'Enable Multitap' and select it......and vise versa. SureType works great, just keep typing out the word without stopping and it will figure it out for you 99 % of the time. As mentioned, in cases where you need to type in a password or a word not recognized by your device, switch to Multitap for that moment. Adding words to the dictionary helps as well.

You've not read a single word I've said, have you. How can I switch to Multi Tap if I can't find that option anywhere in any of the menus or sub-menus?

Now I realise why this forum is called CrackBerry... you're all smoking the stuff!!!
    09-25-08 03:29 AM
    I am not being dismissive, and I am a member of CB to help others the best I can. However, when another member appears unresponsive and unwilling to accept my help, there's really nothing left for me to say or do. I gave you possible solutions to the best of my ability, which YOU dismissed. Your combative attitude tells me you won't accept anything I have to say beyond this point.

You ARE being dismissive.

I've asked for help on how to change to double tap as all the methods previously mentioned in threads on this forum don't exist (the software has been updated since those answers were given) and your response is that I should stick with Sure Type!!! If that's not being dismissive, I don't know what is?

Sure Type doesn't work for me, so why should I stick with a system that doesn't suit my needs, when somewhere, hidden in the depths of the over-complicated software and menus on the 8120 is a system that is far less complicated.

Maybe Sure Type is useful for all the idiots who don't know how to spell (although as I showed earlier in the thread, it still doesn't help the morons who can't tell your from you're!), but for me it is an unnecessary intrusion that makes typing words and phrases a lengthier process than it need be!

Please accept the fact that I DO NOT want to use Sure Type and start your journey of trying to help me (as you claim to want to do) from that point, rather than dismissively telling me to stick with that system because you don't actually know the answer to my problem.
    09-25-08 03:38 AM
    All you have to do is go to, Messages>Menu>Ensure Multi-tap

09-25-08 05:53 AM
    All you have to do is go to, Messages>Menu>Ensure Multi-tap

If only it were that simple!!!

That particular "solution" was given to me in another forum, but Messages>Menu> brings up a host of options EXCEPT for multi-tap.

If I select to send someone an SMS and choose Menu before typing anything, my options are:

Help (which is useless!)
    Check Spelling
    Send
    Save Draft
    Add Recipient
    Edit Auto Text
    Show Symbols
    Switch Input Language (English, Afrikaans, Dansk, etc)
    Switch Application
    Close

It's as if RiM have now decided that Sure Type is the ONLY acceptable method of typing and all the latest phones have software that doesn't permit normal typing.
    09-25-08 06:05 AM
    Sorry then, I won't be of any use. I've always had the option to enable suretype/multitap on all my BBs. Good luck on getting that fixed

09-25-08 06:22 AM
    Sorry then, I won't be of any use. I've always had the option to enable suretype/multitap on all my BBs. Good luck on getting that fixed

Thanks for at least trying to help, instead of telling me to stick with Sure Type like others have done.
    09-25-08 06:25 AM
    You've not read a single word I've said, have you. How can I switch to Multi Tap if I can't find that option anywhere in any of the menus or sub-menus?

Now I realise why this forum is called CrackBerry... you're all smoking the stuff!!!
    First of all, you're not above me, so stop speaking in a condescending way. You mentioned that you've gone to 'Options' and don't have "Language Input" in the menu list, but nowhere in your posts did you mention that you hit the 'Menu' key. That's the reason why I told you about the Menu button. There's an option for 'Short Menu' and 'Full Menu'. Is yours set to 'Full Menu'?
    09-25-08 09:01 AM
    If only it were that simple!!!

That particular "solution" was given to me in another forum, but Messages>Menu> brings up a host of options EXCEPT for multi-tap.

If I select to send someone an SMS and choose Menu before typing anything, my options are:

Help (which is useless!)
    Check Spelling
    Send
    Save Draft
    Add Recipient
    Edit Auto Text
    Show Symbols
    Switch Input Language (English, Afrikaans, Dansk, etc)
    Switch Application
    Close

It's as if RiM have now decided that Sure Type is the ONLY acceptable method of typing and all the latest phones have software that doesn't permit normal typing.
    Well. I suppose you have the one and only Pearl without this option.

You ARE being dismissive.

I've asked for help on how to change to double tap as all the methods previously mentioned in threads on this forum don't exist (the software has been updated since those answers were given) and your response is that I should stick with Sure Type!!! If that's not being dismissive, I don't know what is?

Sure Type doesn't work for me, so why should I stick with a system that doesn't suit my needs, when somewhere, hidden in the depths of the over-complicated software and menus on the 8120 is a system that is far less complicated.

Maybe Sure Type is useful for all the idiots who don't know how to spell (although as I showed earlier in the thread, it still doesn't help the morons who can't tell your from you're!), but for me it is an unnecessary intrusion that makes typing words and phrases a lengthier process than it need be!

Please accept the fact that I DO NOT want to use Sure Type and start your journey of trying to help me (as you claim to want to do) from that point, rather than dismissively telling me to stick with that system because you don't actually know the answer to my problem.
    First of all, who do you think you are? Labeling SureType users as stupid is nothing short of absolute ignorance. I did not simply tell you to stick with SureType and let that be that, so perhaps your interpretation of the English language as a whole is a bit off. That being said, your attitude just plain stinks, and although I have other options and help I was going to share, I think I'll just keep that to myself. Good luck fixing your own issue.
    09-25-08 09:07 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD