Guys,

To lay this question to rest finally and to give everyone the real information.

There are far too many people posting mis-information that have not checked their handsets with this simple method.

These people are "hoping" that the 8120 / 8130 Pearl 2 models will have a later "Software" fix to cure this issue.

Absolute Nonsense.

There is no physical way that the "Colorpearl" application can possibly work on the new Pearl 2 (8120 / 8130) Handsets.

RIM have removed the 4 original LEDs from the newer handsets which used to be RED / GREEN / BLUE / WHITE and simply left only the WHITE one.

To check this is really simple.

The chrome ring around the trackball has retaining clips at the 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions. Place a fingernail at the 12 o'clock position and pull outwards gently.
    When you feel the ring come away, gently do the same at 3 / 9 / 6 positions until the ring is removed completely, 3/9/6 allows minimum stress on ring.

The trackball itself has 2 slotted guides at 3 & 9 o'clock positions and can fit back in only one way (no difference if it is upside down, as long as these 2 guides are aligned horizontally). Simply pull this out with fingernail again.

Once this is out there are 2 scenarios:

For 8100 Pearl users:

You will see 4 LEDs surrounding the microswitch (Red, Green, Blue & White) one at each corner. The good news for you guys is that these are the required LEDs Colorpearl uses to give you that great feature of being able to change your pearl trackball colour.

For 8120 / 8130 Pearl 2 Users

You will only see 1 LED in the lower right of the microswitch (White).
    The bad news is that this is a single LED and not a White LED made up of mixed primary colours. You cannot use the "Colorpearl" application, it simply will not work.

Please beleive me when i say this to try and avoid giving newer users the incorrect information.

A forum is a place for abject opinion, help, advice and guidance.
    A forum is a place people come to when in need (sometimes just need a wee chat).

Most of all a Forum is a place whichpeople can rely on to be told the truth about a topic, not mis-informed with 3rd / 4th / 5th hand rumours about an issue they have nothing useful to add.

Thats what makes Crackberry the absolute best around

Many Thanks

Chamisra
    Last edited by chamisra; 11-25-07 at 04:20 AM. Reason: changing topic header
    11-25-07 04:06 AM
    You will only see 1 LED in the lower right of the microswitch (White).
    The bad news is that this is a single LED and not a White LED made up of mixed primary colours. You cannot use the "Colorpearl" application, it simply will not work.

ok, that said. is there any possible way of someone creating a way to do it? other than the colorpearl app; or is it sharpie or nothing for the 8120/8130 users?
    11-26-07 07:25 PM
    ok, that said. is there any possible way of someone creating a way to do it? other than the colorpearl app; or is it sharpie or nothing for the 8120/8130 users?

Looks like the only way is some clear tape over the LED and then colour that with a sharpie, or, get some coloured film from camera / lighting shop and cut some into place
    11-27-07 12:16 AM
    someone should close all these threads about the Colorpearl..
    11-27-07 02:42 AM
    someone should close all these threads about the Colorpearl..
    and the world is still flat in your mind?
    i agree it's annoying to read the rumor mill over and over or to have people keep asking the same questions before taking 30 seconds to read the hundreds of prior comments people posted before them asking the same question.

wegmans, you must not be too sharp. my reply to chamisra's post had nothing to do with questioning the abilities of the colorpearl app. we all know it won't work. it was to inspire thought and conversation about things such as a colored film which could possibly be a great idea. either close it or leave it open, but i guarantee there will be a few people that come up with some great alternatives to making this colorball happen.
    11-27-07 07:39 AM
    No need for insults!!
    11-27-07 07:41 AM
    Maybe someone should start a new thread for folk to bounce debates around rather than cluttering up what i was trying to make into a useful informative thread.

For the record, i see no harm in any of the replies in here, none too sharp either.

What i am asking (politely) is that any bickering that MAY happen, be directed elsewhere and not ruin my thread

Cheers Boys

Chamisra
    11-27-07 07:59 AM
    and the world is still flat in your mind?
    i agree it's annoying to read the rumor mill over and over or to have people keep asking the same questions before taking 30 seconds to read the hundreds of prior comments people posted before them asking the same question.

wegmans, you must not be too sharp. my reply to chamisra's post had nothing to do with questioning the abilities of the colorpearl app. we all know it won't work. it was to inspire thought and conversation about things such as a colored film which could possibly be a great idea. either close it or leave it open, but i guarantee there will be a few people that come up with some great alternatives to making this colorball happen.
    You are pretty quick to insult me! My post wasn't even directed at you..

What exactly are you looking for? Pictures or a tutorial? I'd be happy to post some of at least the dissassembly.. not sure about acquiring the coloured film..
    Last edited by Wegmans; 11-29-07 at 08:55 AM.
    11-27-07 09:10 AM
    Definitly not coloring my bb with a sharpie. I can see the look on the techs face now when I bring it in to get fixed after I break something.
    11-27-07 09:16 AM
    *** Mods ***

can we clean this thread up a bit?

Trevor in his wisdom has been linking queries to this thread and i really would prefer to keep it nice and clean for visitors.

No problem with the guys and open comments, just thought as this post clears some things up that it should be uncluttered with silly squabbles

Cheers

Chamisra
    11-29-07 03:19 AM
    Just figured out a way, but i want to patent it first : )

Nothing to do with software! There is no way the led's RIM has put in the new pearl's will change color, the above post is 100% correct. There is another way though to get the same effect with min effort. Again, i have to contact some people first and its new years eve so it will take a few days to get a working demo.
    Last edited by Thalinor; 12-31-07 at 01:46 PM.
    12-31-07 01:35 PM

Nothing to do with software! There is no way the led's RIM has put in the new pearl's will change color, the above post is 100% correct. There is another way though to get the same effect with min effort. Again, i have to contact some people first and its new years eve so it will take a few days to get a working demo.
    Instead of keeping us all in high suspense, would you mind filling us in on what you did and what you are currently doing? Thanx!
    01-19-08 07:41 PM

I have a feeling this was untrue.
    01-20-08 08:23 PM
    Just seeing that there is only one led doesn't mean anything to me.

How do we know that it isn't something like a 5-color changing led by techtastic?

A single led that can change colors?
    These are on the open market now..

(hope, hope)
    03-10-08 04:13 AM

How do we know that it isn't something like a 5-color changing led by techtastic?

ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Haha, did this thread have no effect on you at all? Actually, you may have a point now that i think about it. If the people over at verizon say that it is filled with color led's then maybe it is color changing and there just holding out. I highly doubt it though that they just put all color led's in one. That is so sad. I just picked up my pearl today and this would've been beautiful to do. Oh well,

by the way, NEW member here! glad to come aboard.
    04-25-08 04:51 AM

(hope, hope)

Actually, being educated as an electronic engineer I took it upon myself to open up my pearl, heat up the component (thus loosening the solder), rip out the LED and read the data on the underside of the emitter...

It said "Color: White"

Seriously. I promise. Pull yours out and see for yourself

But all kidding aside, there really is only one color this LED is capable of. The multi-color capabilities of the 1st gen Pearls were pared back in order to save money and free up space (both literally and in a fiscal sense) to add in additional capabilities (such as Wi-Fi and GPS).

Wishing for hardware capabilities will not bring them into being. Neither will putting false hope into other peoples heads about the possibility of a multi-color emitter. Just ain't gonna happen. There is a reason the makers of the ColorPearl program didn't make it compatible with the 2nd gen pearls.......

The hardware doesn't exist. Plain and simple.
    04-25-08 04:45 PM
    That sucks, but thanks for explaining it.
    04-25-08 05:11 PM
    Maybe it will be available in the 8140 if they make one but that is just me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 05:32 AM
    doesn't matter...ATM ColorPearl doesn't work with 4.5 anyway
    07-28-08 05:54 AM
    If the 8120 or 8130 could change trackball color we would know.

07-28-08 07:11 AM
    Or we could just drop the whole colour LED thing and realize that the show must go on.
    11-02-08 10:51 AM
    So..... after all is said and done..... can I change the colour of my trackball?.....
    11-02-08 11:19 AM
    go to cnn.cn
    they have blue, purple, red and yellow trackballs for $7.99
    =)
    03-05-09 05:16 PM
    Thanks guyz....
    03-06-09 03:35 PM
    Since it wasn,t mentioned,it doesn't work on the 8110 either

03-07-09 12:04 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD