I JUST had this problem after installing the ap news app and restarting. I couldn't get rid of the error and it didn't look like my 8900 was connecting to the desktop software. I chose the "application loader" option and did "start". When it asks for password just press OK to bypass. I then deleted the ap news app and it was miraciously working! No need for reinstalling OS and didn't lose anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanx alot! its working now and i saved my data.
    01-04-10 11:21 PM
    had to same things happen to me last night for the 1st time when i was trying to update the poynt app. reload software: 552

im glad i did a search on crackberry because i was about to reload the os until i learned about the application loader trick. everything worked out and my phone is up and running, with the exception that my pics, ringtones, and vids are now gone from my 8900.

thanks for the tip!
    01-11-10 03:28 PM
    I've gone through the nuke on my 8520, but when I get to the next button to start reloading it I get this message:

The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have the BlackBerry Desktop Software for the device you have connected to the computer. Contact your Wireless Provider or your System Administrator.

I'm a business owner, losing my BlackBerry is like losing my arm! HELP!
    01-12-10 10:22 PM
    I've gone through the nuke on my 8520, but when I get to the next button to start reloading it I get this message:

The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have the BlackBerry Desktop Software for the device you have connected to the computer. Contact your Wireless Provider or your System Administrator.

I'm a business owner, losing my BlackBerry is like losing my arm! HELP!
    Did you download the latest OS for your device, and delete the vendor.xml file?

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

01-12-10 10:28 PM
    Did you download the latest OS for your device, and delete the vendor.xml file?
    I'm not even going to lie and tell you I know how to do that. BUT Desktop Manager seems to be installing something on my computer currently. I'm hoping this corrects the problem?

This is my first nuking, it was a bit of a moment of panic.
    01-12-10 10:32 PM
    It's a lot less panic, when you've done a few upgrades already. I hope you're getting squared away.

I hear tell you�re doin� well,
    Good things have come to you.
    I wish I had your good-luck charm,
    And you had a do-wacka-do, wacka do, wacka-do, wacka-do.

01-12-10 11:01 PM
    BTW, I just found below from RIM's support page. It wouldn't work as I already had the latest updated OS. And I tried below anyway and application loader crashed. I'm pasting it just to humor you all...

Error "Reload Software: 552" is displayed on the BlackBerry smartphone
    Products
    BlackBerry� Devices
    Overview
    The following error message may be displayed on the BlackBerry smartphone:

Reload software: 552 or App Error 552
    Cause
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team.

Resolution
    Upgrade to the latest available BlackBerry Device Software version provided by your wireless service provider to resolve this issue.

Workaround
    Complete the following steps:

Verify that the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager and the current BlackBerry Device Software (for your BlackBerry smartphone) is installed on the computer.
    Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone. Do not re-insert the battery.
    Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the computer.
    Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
    On the BlackBerry Desktop Manager main screen, click Application Loader.
    In the Update Software area of the Application Loader, click Start.
    Click Options. This allows you to add or remove applications from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Select the applications that you want to install.
    Click Next.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    When the application load process starts, insert the battery into the BlackBerry smartphone.
    I am trying to do these steps and I can't seem to get my device to connect to the Desktop Manager.
    01-22-10 10:47 AM
    Te kiss of death for my 1 month old Tour... I was loading twixtreme.. It appeared to DL and than I tried running it and got an error message about memory error?? I was thinking it was low memory I decided to delete stitcher... After deleting it the BB asked to be reset.. I clicked yes... Boom.. the kiss of death!! 552 Error... So Thank goodness for this and other forums... I decided to load the desktop software which I did not load before.. I upgraded the software as instructed...After clicking the Application Loader I was shocked but pleased that it listed what appeared to be all the programs I previously DL etc... It did not have Stitcher and I unchecked twixtreme thinking I may still have low memory... After about 7 minutes it worked... All back to normal and even getting emails from the company server and personal email... This time I think I will backup the BB Tour... Thanks!!!
    01-26-10 05:02 PM
    I am able to get only so far in the steps and then I cannot go any future. Once I go into the folder C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry and try to double click the file named "application_loader", I realize that it is a .dll file that of course, is not executable. So, this is far as I got and am stuck.
    go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    01-29-10 06:05 AM
    Hey, I'm new to blackberry, and I've had a tour 9630 for a couple weeks and I too got the 552 error today. Thanks for all the information on this forum . . . it helped me reinstall the OS . . . unfortunately, it wouldn't recognize the app loader option . . . it said there was no os currently installed . . . but thanks again for all the help!
    01-29-10 05:52 PM
    I hate errors like this but I sure love an OS that can deal with it easily.

Got the 552 error today after battery drained and I recharged it. Searched here, found this thread. Opened BB Desktop Manager and connected my phone. Got the "cannot connect" message and canceled it. Went to App Loader, picked Add/Remove Applications and removed the last thing I installed. 30 minutes and everything is back to normal.

I LOVE this phone.
    02-06-10 06:13 PM
    Ill put this link here for future searchers to find.

552 error!

02-06-10 06:32 PM
    Ill put this link here for future searchers to find.

552 error!

Nice touch hooty! You're getting this WAP stuff down.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

02-06-10 06:37 PM
    moments ago i just got myself the 552 error code, I installed something like the bible app, GT connect four online and the last was.... poynt, I hope those were the ones what crashed my tour, I just used the BBSAK to remove it all, the desktop manager is just a bit too slow.

I just hope that fixed the issue, I cannot live without my tour

To add, it looks like that didnt help it either, I guess its going to fly out my window tonight.
    Last edited by C138NC; 02-08-10 at 01:01 AM.
    02-08-10 12:55 AM
    Looks like you'll need to reload the OS. No biggie.

Here is my process for OS installs. Try it next time!

02-08-10 04:31 AM
    I guess im screwed out of a phone for a while now.

I tried reloading the OS but it looks like it didnt even do a thing for me.....

guess i did one of the steps wrong, left my phone completely wiped.... ouch
    Last edited by C138NC; 02-08-10 at 06:41 AM.
    02-08-10 06:01 AM
    There are several different guides. Some work better for other people. Different strokes and what not. They all wind up with the same result (hopefully a working BB).

BigBadwulf's upgrade guide

How to update the OS

How do I Recover a Dead BlackBerry

Force Load an OS

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-1...ked-blackberry

Upgrade/downgrade procedure

02-08-10 06:56 AM
    I JUST had this problem after installing the ap news app and restarting. I couldn't get rid of the error and it didn't look like my 8900 was connecting to the desktop software. I chose the "application loader" option and did "start". When it asks for password just press OK to bypass. I then deleted the ap news app and it was miraciously working! No need for reinstalling OS and didn't lose anything.

Thank you so much for this post. I was stupid and never backed up my phone before this problem. When I read that I would have to wipe and lose everything I was terrified.
    02-08-10 03:57 PM

You certainly had the right method! It worked on my Tour (9630) today! The Kindle for Blackberry app was the problem.
    02-18-10 05:27 PM

Thanks for your helpful post. I downloaded the Kindle app from Amazon.com today and it totally fried my Tour 9630. Or so I thought. I uninstalled the app via the Desktop Manager and my BB miraculously came back to life with all of my data intact.
    02-19-10 12:04 AM
    I also had the 552 error when I installed Kindle software on my tour. That software seems very buggy, I reinstalled it 3 times with fresh downloads and never got it to work. One time created the 552 error.

I called Verizon tech support and they walked me through the app loader routine. Once in that application, I removed Kindle, and told it to reload. When it was done, the Tour was fine, and all my other applications and data were just fine. I'm not sure if it reloaded the OS, or just deleted the Kindle software. It seemed to be doing a lot more than that, since the process took about 20 minutes.
    02-19-10 05:13 AM

This method just saved me tonight. FTW!
    02-22-10 05:11 PM
    It worked, and I believe I removed all files that were causing the problem, but it looks like I have dropped a few MBs in available memory. In the process of doing a battery pull.

Anyone have experience with this? I tried exploring from the Media menu and couldn't find anything of note. I did remove the demo video but I don't know if that was all of it......

Thanks.
    02-22-10 05:48 PM
    I am back to where I think I was memory wise. I think it was the demo video that got tossed in there when I did the app loader routine. Battery pull and letting it finish scanning seemed to get me all straight....

02-22-10 06:43 PM
    You certainly had the right method! It worked on my Tour (9630) today! The Kindle for Blackberry app was the problem.
    Yup.....Kindle killed my 9630 as well. This was the most helpful forum EVER! I thought my 2nd Tour was fried, but I recovered it....with all my data, files, settings, etc. Thanks soooo much! Wish I had found this when my first Tour died. Don't give up folks....you can recover from a 552 error!!!!!
    03-12-10 12:43 PM
119 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD