Walked into Sprint and he said this is a common problem. He says when updating certain apps and software, you should do it with a great connection (all bars showing) or from your computer destop manager. He said if you don't have a great connection when upgrading (i had the problem from an upgrade) you can crash your system.

He also told me my phone was toasted and ruined. I couldn't believe it, so I tried going into the desktop manager, going to app loader, going to software update and since I had the most recent software, I "downgraded" to the 2nd most recent and reset my device that way. I have the tour 9630 and to me, this is total crap that this can even happen and render these phones useless. Sprint had NO IDEA what to do and were of no help. Thank you crackberry forums for saving my phone and getting info to peeps.

Drumroll please as my phone initializes......

(waiting forever for initialization...)

.....AH HAAAAAAAA!!!!!! SUCCESS!!!!!

So thanks again Forum!!!! Now can we teach Sprint how to use the phones they sell?????
    12-02-09 07:04 PM
    2 hours later after I first fixed my phone, downloaded Google Sync and the phone got the same 522 error now. This has never happened before and now 2 time in one day. So you can now not get any apps or you have to reboot the phone each time? And it lost my sim card contacts....so not happy right now!
    12-02-09 10:53 PM
    I am able to get only so far in the steps and then I cannot go any future. Once I go into the folder C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry and try to double click the file named "application_loader", I realize that it is a .dll file that of course, is not executable. So, this is far as I got and am stuck.
    12-05-09 07:52 AM
    Yes my problem was when i added the loopt app, just removed it in the app loader and im back
    12-09-09 02:39 PM
    had my 8900 crap out and got the 552 error message this morning. I went back through the desktop manager and unloaded all the apps that i didn't need and its fine. something with the 8900 + apps = 552 error message. Wierd
    this also worked for me.
    12-15-09 12:54 AM
    It told me to upgrade my documents to go,i did,then said i gota reboot,after rebooting it wasnt opening,the website sed must delete it and reinstalled,after deleting it sed gotta reboot and now its not starting up,saying reload software:552

i dont know wether to take it to my provider or try out the crackberry way..
    oh and can someone tell me where do i find out out about my free email addy with this site?
    12-17-09 01:26 AM
    There is hope!

I had a 552 error after trying to load the SocialScope alpha on my 8900. With the device showing the error, I plugged the BB into my computer running Desktop Manager, and went into the App Loader. I had it remove the app, and Desktop Manager rebooted the device--successfully!

Try removing recently updated or installed 3rd party apps before wiping and starting over--this saves hours of work!
    12-19-09 02:14 PM
    thanks sanchok! i decided to send it back to vodacom just to get a new bb! tell me,when you get your new bb do you have to charge it for the required 12 hours?
    i lost my texas holde mand all other apps that came with the bb,anyway i can retrieve all that or be able to get it somewhere?
    12-21-09 06:43 AM
    i had the 552 error after trying to find a bluetooth device, i wasnt installing any app, and i've tried to unpgrade the framework using the application loader like you said but its just not working, the computer cant connect with the blackberry and it says " you should prob enter the password", but i have no place to put any password or just accept to pass through , dont know why, and dont know what to do i just dont want to loose my info and want my bb back !! pleeease if somebody can help mee !! thanks a lot
    12-23-09 12:10 PM
    you will end up losing whatever you had on your bb.. but the bb itself will work 100%
    all you gotta do is follow the instructions above and youll be sorted..
    12-25-09 08:12 AM
    for my situation, it was when i tried to install the latest version (.57) of BBM from BB app world. i, basically, used desktop manager to remove it, and.. voila!
    12-25-09 01:10 PM
    I JUST had this problem after installing the ap news app and restarting. I couldn't get rid of the error and it didn't look like my 8900 was connecting to the desktop software. I chose the "application loader" option and did "start". When it asks for password just press OK to bypass. I then deleted the ap news app and it was miraciously working! No need for reinstalling OS and didn't lose anything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thank you x300000 this worked for me and everything is all set with my tour. mad props for the find
    12-25-09 07:55 PM
    Ugh My BB Curve 8900 did this twice within 24 hours! Why? The first time I download BBM from App World and then It said Installing and then said Reboot. Well stupid me I clicked Reboot and then I got the 552 error. Today I downloaded Openbeak (Twitter App) and it said reboot again and then I clicked Reboot. I got the 552 error. This sucks. It really doesn't matter because I am getting the BB Bold in a few days and I don't need the Curve 8900 (T-Mo) but for right now I want to use it instead of my dreadful iPhone. Help me out please!
    12-26-09 06:08 PM
    Ugh My BB Curve 8900 did this twice within 24 hours! Why? The first time I download BBM from App World and then It said Installing and then said Reboot. Well stupid me I clicked Reboot and then I got the 552 error. Today I downloaded Openbeak (Twitter App) and it said reboot again and then I clicked Reboot. I got the 552 error. This sucks. It really doesn't matter because I am getting the BB Bold in a few days and I don't need the Curve 8900 (T-Mo) but for right now I want to use it instead of my dreadful iPhone. Help me out please!
    Knowing what OS you're on would help, but I can tell you from my experience OpenBeak is a problem, as are a lot of the social apps. Check your event log and hopefully the nasty one will show.

From all the TBLers, to our CrackBerrian brethren.
    May God bless you and yours during this holiday season.

12-27-09 07:50 AM
    Thanks to all in this forum...this morning I ran some updates and installed some new apps, and during the reboot...I received that ugly reload software 552!! Did some searching, and ended up starting DM, went into application loader, and unchecked those apps that were recently installed, it then processed...and wa-la!...BB is back to normal state!...whew!

To all, before going back to your carrier, or trying to do a clean format, run through your app manager, and see what you can do!...it could save alot of headache!
    12-27-09 10:23 AM
    just happened to me! i wont have a usb cable until tomorrow, FML
    12-28-09 04:28 AM
    After installing Documents to Go, got the error.

Connected it to Desktop Device Management Software and uninstalled Docs to go.

Rebooted clean.

12/28/09 @ 2:30PM. Took about 1/2 hour to figure out after readin gthis entire thread.

Why is the Tour boot time SOOOO long? (actual question, not rhetorical)
    12-28-09 01:56 PM
    After installing Documents to Go, got the error.

Connected it to Desktop Device Management Software and uninstalled Docs to go.

Rebooted clean.

12/28/09 @ 2:30PM. Took about 1/2 hour to figure out after readin gthis entire thread.

Why is the Tour boot time SOOOO long? (actual question, not rhetorical)
    I have the same error as it occured when I tried to download Viigo (BB 8900). I went to my Desktop Manager and all my applications come up, except that one. So I can't even unintstall it. Any advice? I'm trying to avoid re-installing the device softward and losing my apps.
    12-28-09 06:26 PM
    I have the same error as it occured when I tried to download Viigo (BB 8900). I went to my Desktop Manager and all my applications come up, except that one. So I can't even unintstall it. Any advice? I'm trying to avoid re-installing the device softward and losing my apps.
    Use bbsak to back up your third part apps, only thing I would recommend using it for. Then after a back up of your personal data, you can do a full wipe. The apps you can reinstall after installing the OS again, just go to the bbsak folder labled back up, and point to the alx file inside.

From all the TBLers, to our CrackBerrian brethren.
    May God bless you and yours during this holiday season.

12-28-09 06:38 PM
    Use bbsak to back up your third part apps, only thing I would recommend using it for. Then after a back up of your personal data, you can do a full wipe. The apps you can reinstall after installing the OS again, just go to the bbsak folder labled back up, and point to the alx file inside.

Ok, I will give this a shot. Will BBSAK allow me to back up my apps even though I'm in this "reload software: 552" state? Thanks!
    12-28-09 07:07 PM
    Ok, I will give this a shot. Will BBSAK allow me to back up my apps even though I'm in this "reload software: 552" state? Thanks!
    It should still recognize the device. At least it's worth a try. I use it to protect my 3rd party apps from any catastrophy, though if you have a good back up that's recent, you should have them all on it anyway, and you can always go to whomever you purchased them from as another alternative. They should allow you to install them again.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

12-28-09 07:17 PM
    He also told me my phone was toasted and ruined. I couldn't believe it, so I tried going into the desktop manager, going to app loader, going to software update and since I had the most recent software, I "downgraded" to the 2nd most recent and reset my device that way. I have the tour 9630 and to me, this is total crap that this can even happen and render these phones useless. Sprint had NO IDEA what to do and were of no help. Thank you crackberry forums for saving my phone and getting info to peeps.

So thanks again Forum!!!! Now can we teach Sprint how to use the phones they sell?????
    I just had this issue today, and simply unloading apps didn't work, so I did the downgrade as well. It was the only thing that has worked. I ended up with the 552 after installing UberTwitter. When I tried to run it, I got a memory error and then a verify error. It wouldn't run at all, so I uninstalled it, but like I said, nothing but the downgrade did me any good.

I love when they tell you it's a common problem, but then neither have a solution nor a safeguard. I guess I'll have to start backing up now, huh?
    12-30-09 05:58 PM
    Walked into Sprint and he said this is a common problem. He says when updating certain apps and software, you should do it with a great connection (all bars showing) or from your computer destop manager. He said if you don't have a great connection when upgrading (i had the problem from an upgrade) you can crash your system.

I had the dreaded 552 error last night after upgrading several 3rd party apps & d/l the weather channel on my tour 9630. Tried to do everything stated here in this thread & nothing worked, so I tried the downgrade OS option, even though the downgrade was the same version as what I currently had on there anyway. Long story short, it worked, but it wiped out all my contacted & passwords in the password keeper, so I'm going to try to re-install from a backup I did at the beginning of December. This is such a headache with these phones.........I'm glad this forum exists so that we can self analyze & fix these consistant problems.
    01-01-10 09:29 AM
    I have had 552 error happen to me for the first time tonight. I've tried every trick that's been on this forum with no luck. (btw, I have 9630 tour with Verizon)
    I couldn't even reinstall or downgrade the OS as it won't connect to the desktop manager. So I'm out of option and will be returning the device to the vendor.

Now, following this forum I see some pattern. Most of the softwares that you guys've stated that you had problem with, I've used all of them without problem. So I don't think any of those programs are problem. But only pattern I can find is that it happened while you tried to install a program. To add a twist, mine happened when I tried to uninstall Google Sync. Go figure lol...

I think Blackberry has innate problem, a bug, associated with software installation component. This needs to be addressed by manufacturer. No specific program has yet to stand out to be a problem as most of the programs supposedly causing problem doesn't repeat at least on this forum...and I can attest as I've stated above already that I've used just about most of the softwares that's been mentioned here without any problem for past couple of months.

Has anyone contacted RIM for this problem and get the answer straight from them?

BTW, I just found below from RIM's support page. It wouldn't work as I already had the latest updated OS. And I tried below anyway and application loader crashed. I'm pasting it just to humor you all...

Error "Reload Software: 552" is displayed on the BlackBerry smartphone
    Products
    BlackBerry� Devices
    Overview
    The following error message may be displayed on the BlackBerry smartphone:

Reload software: 552 or App Error 552
    Cause
    This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team.

Resolution
    Upgrade to the latest available BlackBerry Device Software version provided by your wireless service provider to resolve this issue.

Workaround
    Complete the following steps:

Verify that the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager and the current BlackBerry Device Software (for your BlackBerry smartphone) is installed on the computer.
    Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone. Do not re-insert the battery.
    Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the computer.
    Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using a USB cable.
    On the BlackBerry Desktop Manager main screen, click Application Loader.
    In the Update Software area of the Application Loader, click Start.
    Click Options. This allows you to add or remove applications from the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Select the applications that you want to install.
    Click Next.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.
    When the application load process starts, insert the battery into the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Last edited by sportsdc; 01-03-10 at 05:02 AM. Reason: found new info
    01-03-10 04:50 AM
    This is the second time I've had this problem inside of two months. The first time, the verizon tech couldn't fix it and they sent me a new phone. The same thing happened again to me today after installing an app update for Call Filter. My phone told me to reboot, so I did, and now this.

The problem for me is, I can't get BDM to recognize the phone period. Battery in, or out. Apparently some of you have had success at it, but not me. I followed the instructions just as it says, but with no luck.

Any advise?

EDIT: also.. how do you downgrade when you're already at the original software version for your phone? I'm using the Tour, and have yet to upgrade to the newest software for it. Last time I did that, my phone crashed!

If it's a device memory issue... then how can the device be running out of memory when literally everything installed on my phone is stored on a mem card? Is the device memory threshold THAT low?? It wasn't like I had 10 zillion apps installed on my phone. so, I don't get it.
    Last edited by jpoprock; 01-04-10 at 03:01 PM.
    01-04-10 02:54 PM
119 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD