first, i can't seem to download the facebook app. when i click it to download it to my desktop, this page comes up to download from my computer. i accept the terms and conditions and the next page that comes up says:

Home
    Facebook

Note

Microsoft� Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) users: if you encounter an error, look at the top of this page for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'AxLoader.cab' from 'Research In Motion'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.

nothing pops up at the top, nothing happens. nothing shows up on my desktop. when i try to go to this on my phone it shows the same page. i cant click next cuz it says no java.

2. When i am on my desktop manager and i go to the applications thing, it says the blackberry desktop software does not have Blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.

any ideas? I got my phone last friday and this is the disc that came with it.
    05-05-08 06:34 PM
    Hi Kaytee,
    this sounds like it could possibly be the Browser emulation setting on your BB and the Facebook site recognizes your browser as Internet Explorer instead of your BB Browser.

Here is an explanation if you are not familiar with this term and what it means.

When a web site address is typed into a browser whether it is on your berry browser or on your home pc and then you press the send button/key the information about what browser you are using for the “request” is sent to the address you are trying to log onto. So when you try to access the Facebook download it sounds like your berry is being recognized as another non mobile browser, hence the reference to IE updates.

Fortunately the powers that be at the RIM factory where aware of this browser recognition issue and in the device options you have the option to set the browser “emulation” to a different type such as Internet Explorer, Nestscape, Blackberry, Openwave (WAP), MS Pocket IE for example, as a work around for interaction issues with different web sites for BB users.

To access the settings for your default blackberry browser:

1. Click on the link on your BB to open the browser then press your menu key and choose options. In options you will see three main categories.

2. Select “Browser Configuration” and you will see “Emulation Mode in the list of configuration options.

3. Change or confirm it is set to BlackBerry , then press the menu key again and choose “Save Options” and then exit to the main browser menu.

4. Now select “Cache Operations” and clear the Content and Cookie Cache (The “Pushed Content” will not apply to this issue.)

When you exit the Browser Options you should see a short notice that the memory is being cleaned before the window closes.

This will clear the stored page information in your browsers cache folder and will force a fresh load of the site when you try to go back to the Facebook site.

This will set the browser emulation to the built in mobile one and should tell the Facebook site you are in fact using a mobile browser and should work to get the download.

BlackBerry Device Software and Desktop Download Sites For T-Mobile:
    www.t-mobile.com/bbupgrade/

Best, Craig C.
    Last edited by MagicCastleCreations; 05-05-08 at 09:37 PM.
    05-05-08 09:17 PM
    i just did all that and it still takes me to the windows page as before
    05-05-08 09:52 PM
    Try this one Kaytee, here is the actual link I have as a default link in the BB browser. I think I can get this to show here lets see:

mobile.blackberry.com/MBC/homepage?book=facebook_overview&helpdocdetail=/resources/static/facebook_overview.html

Yepp that'l doit. You can also access this page via your home pc but it is designed for mobile.

Best, Craig C
    05-05-08 10:04 PM
    well i got it but now it says you are currently on a service plan that does not support this application. please contact your service provider for additional information or to upgrade your current service plan.

i have the tmobile blackberry plan... wtf is wrong now
    05-05-08 10:13 PM
    well nevermind. pulled the battery out and such and now it's fine. crazy phone
    05-05-08 10:33 PM
    Hi Kaytee, I am sorry I just found this on the web:

Why doesn�t T-Mobile support Facebook?!
    October 23, 2007
    There are so many neat things you can do using Facebook Mobile. You can update your Status & Upload your mobile pictures. Facebook currently supports every carrier except for T-Mobile. So where do I send my complaints!?

My feed today shows pictures uploaded by a mobile device and I can�t do it. How is this going to fly when I plan on getting a Blackberry Curve in a few months. I am pretty much stuck with T-Mobile until I die anyway.

I plan to write T-Mobile and Facebook an e-mail demanding to know why they have yet to collaborate. You�d think T-Mobile, the trendy phone provider would be up with things like Facebook. I just don�t understand.

Should I switch plans? Is T-Mobile even worthy of my membership knowing that they are not involved with my most favorite Social Media Website ever?
    This is dated late 2007 so it is possible that T-Mobile is has or will do the os upgrade for facebook so I would call them and check it out.
    And if T-Mobile still does not work for facebook after all this time to make it so:

I am on the Sprint PCS CDMA Unlimited Plan for a total of $99.99 per month and add in the $7 per month for full replacement insurance on my berry and it is the best deal going IMO. I realize you are a brand new customer to T-Mobile and may or may not be liable for early termination fees.

You can be sure that if it where me and I wanted facebook I would be on the berry to T-Mobile looking for an out to any contract obligation and move over to the best provider and plan option available at this time which is Sprint PCS Simply Everything Plan on the CDMA / EVDO Network with 700kbps to 1.4mbps average download speeds speeds. No I do not work for the company nor could I stand to with the varying degrees of customer service available, this is just my opinion after doing much research on providers and plans and I was allready on nextel GSM when I moved over to Sprint CDMA so I did not have to do the early termination thing as you would say.

Damn we almost got there too. I wish you the best on this and hope you can work it out.. mabye there is word from T-Mobile on this issue and any plans for a future OS that will work with it, might be worth asking when you call to cancel.

Craig C
    05-05-08 10:34 PM
    Oh Damn! ... LOL Yepp When In Doubt Pull The Battery Out.
    Geez I forgot the basics lol.

Cool glad you got it going!

Craig C.
    05-05-08 10:40 PM
    yeah and i've been with tmobile almost 3 years lol no early termination fees for me. tmobile is the carrier all the online progams seem to have forgotten, like facebook and my bank.
    05-06-08 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD