CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trackball Stuck!!

Hey. Does anyone know how to fix a trackball that will not scroll left? Up, down, and right are all fine, but I can't seem to get it to go left!!! I guess there's something stuck in there, but I don't know how to take the phone apart to clean it out. HELP!!!
    CrackBerry User

Use alcohol. Dip your finger in it and roll the trackball around the alcohol will help clean it just happened to me last night. I used an alcohol wipe from a first aid kit worked great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,995 Global Posts

Using alcohol is a fairly good idea.

Also, try to apply some pressure to it (pushing down) while rolling the ball. That should free up the debris.

It also may be time for a new trackball!
    No longer a CrackBerry addict. Moved to Android - could not be happier!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by aponath View Post
    Use alcohol. Dip your finger in it and roll the trackball around the alcohol will help clean it just happened to me last night. I used an alcohol wipe from a first aid kit worked great!

Thanks. I'll try that ASAP. I'm at school now, so I'm sad I have to wait till I get home!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24969b1f

I just had them replace mine. I took it apart from the ''how to'' I found on a post here, but it made no difference my left scroll still didn't work. Phone insurance is an awesome thing.

CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
    Using alcohol is a fairly good idea.

Also, try to apply some pressure to it (pushing down) while rolling the ball. That should free up the debris.

It also may be time for a new trackball!
    i've only had my phone for 3 months... is it fairly common to have to replace it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

When my pearl got stuck.. i licked it.. works perfect now.. maybe there's dirt in the rollers.. google how to take it out.. its fairly easy. and clean it out.
    CrackBerry Newbie

It's not too hard to take the trackball housing out and open it up so you can clean each of the four rollers. Getting it back together takes some patience and a good eye. It's important to remember how it came apart though. Also, you can get OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) trackballs with housings on ebay for under 10$ shipped so it's no big deal if you just wanna get one of those instead of cleaning it.
    CrackBerry User

Whenever my trackball sticks -- which has only been twice so far -- I put my phone face down on my jeans and rub/roll... The amount of friction between the trackball and my jeans always frees the ball.

CrackBerry User

Mine always sticks, did the alcohol thing works great now...
    CrackBerry User

Please help. I'm living in the Middle East, and I can't send my BlackBerry anywhere to be repaired. My trackball has been problematic from day one. I use the usually recommendations to fix it - hard press & roll in the stuck direction, or clean it with a brush. But neither solution is working anymore, and I'm afraid I will break it if I force it any more. I must get it unstuck, as it currently won't scroll down, and I can't access most of my apps. I'm desperate. Is there some "in case of emergency, break glass!" option? Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,101 Global Posts

try hydrogen peroxide. apply it in the direction your phone is stuck. about 10-15 swabs should fix it. this remedy is coming from the bold 9000 users. they have tried it on theirs and it now works.
    {"for better for worse,for richer for poorer,in sickness and in health,cherish,and to obey,trust u and respect u,love you faithfully good times and bad times,care and protect u,comfort and encourage,stay with for all eternity"}
    _american in the usa_
    CrackBerry Newbie

If you are on T-Mobile, they just started a Blackberry trackball replacement program. I just got back from a local T-Mobile store after getting mine replaced. I went in and asked about the program and if they had any of the trackballs in. He went and got it and replaced it for me. Didn't look to see if it was under warranty or not, it isn't, but just fixed it no questions asked.

Victor
    CrackBerry User

You might want to just buy a new trackball if yours is damaged
    this website offfers some
    or if you stil have warranty, you might be able to ask for a new trackball from your respective company
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try a blast of air, preferably a vacuum.
    Back.
    Bricked Blackberry? Hourglass Of death? Blackberry Not turning on? Red LED flashes? Try going Here
    If you want to show your commitment to CrackBerry Forums please use this theme, click here(It's up to you if you want to use it)
    CrackBerry User

I just frantically wipe my pearl on my shirt when this happens until you can physically hear the trackball click rolling again. this seems to solve the problem every time!
    CrackBerry Addict

Buy a new trackball... very cheap to buy and easy to replace on the pearls. Check out a youtube video to see how to properly change it.
    CrackBerry User

1. Spray a decent amount any alcohol based deodorant on a flint free cotton cloth like a handkerchief or Napkin
    2. Hold the phone face down (To avoid the liquid from entering the phone)
    3. Wrap the sprayed part of the cloth around your index finger and gently press the trackball with the cotton cloth and roll it in all directions
    4. Spray more deodorant on the cloth if it gets dry and also press harder if it doesn't start rolling properly.

Works like a charm! Hope this helps!
    Blackberry 8900 on Airtel India
    CrackBerry Newbie

The alcohol definitely works. My trackball moved in every direction but down, after a few swipes with rubbing alcohol it works like it is brand new
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    ask

Just had a major freakout because my trackball couldnt go down. Read this thread, got some hand sanitizer (for the obvious alcohol content) and rubbed it all over the trackball. And it works perfectly! Thanks guys!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Wow, simply licking it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by 5ONE2 View Post
    When my pearl got stuck.. i licked it.. works perfect now.. maybe there's dirt in the rollers.. google how to take it out.. its fairly easy. and clean it out.
    Im so glad i didnt have to take my blackberry apart to get the debris(sand from a trip to the beach) out from under it to make it work again.

Thanks a lot for that simple piece of information!