Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default SIM Card Error

Once a day, I notice that my Pearl says "SIM Card Error." I turn it off, then back on and everything clears up. I just find this irritating. Does anybody think there is a problem?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2432b228

could be a few different things ... try cutting out a piece of paper the same size/shape of the SIM card and placing it on top of the SIM card before you lock it down (i think i have 2 layers of paper in my curve) ... it may just be a loose connection

how long have you had this issue? ... is it a new SIM card? ... it may be a bad card ...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I've had the Pearl for about a month, but the SIM card came out of my previous cellphone. It is probably about 2-3 years old. The problem has been recurring since I got the Pearl.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2432b228

ah ... go into your carriers store and request a new SIM card ... they do get newer updates and such over the years
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I have thought about trying that. Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

I've had my phone a month and it's happened twice to me, right after I end a call? Its a simple fix, but I agree.....so irritating!!
  7. xdb
    CrackBerry Newbie

that message appears only when your carrier is from other country or no SIM detected, you could try (only if you know what you do, and do at your own risk) the contacts on the cell (6 pins) try to get upper with a stick or something, but do it carefully, you will have better contact now with your SIM card. Now if you could find some polish cream (silver cleanser could you use) apply it over the contacts on the SIM card for a few seconds, your SIM card just looks like new and gets a better contact now. I guess it could solve your problem.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I would just use a pencil eraser. You will see the contacts brighten as you erase the oxides
    CrackBerry Genius

Default That Problem

My BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8220 is a brand new phone with a brand new T-Mobile SIM card that's only a month old, and I had that problem yesterday after school. I treat my phone like gold, so what the ****.

It's only a month old, I pull it out, and I have SOS service only and it says SIM CARD ERROR. I nearly have a heart attack knowing I will have to call and deal with T-Mobile Customer Care pretending they know your problem.

I turned the phone off and back on, and it worked fine. So far, so good. But if this problem happens more than once every few months, making a pattern, I'm going to stick a pencil eraser up T-Mobile's behind and switch back to the network I wanted my family to get, Verizon Wireless. They know what they are doing.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Problem solved thanks to this thread

SUCCESS! I have a BB curve. I did get a 'SIMS CARD ERROR' the last few days every time the phone had a shock. I probably dropped it. It took me a while to diagnose that a shock would trigger the error.

1. I cleaned the contacts of the SIMS card with an eraser. Then during power on my PIN code would get rejected repeatedly.

2. Then I added the piece of paper on the back of the SIMS card between the card and the metallic holder.

Now it seems to be working OK even when I shake it quite hard and my PIN is accepted. I find it hard to believe that a piece of paper does the trick.

I hope that helps. Thanks for all the other posts that lead me in the right direction.
    CrackBerry User

Happens to me all the time. I just take the sim card out and replace it and it works fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    pm me

Quote Originally Posted by austinkli View Post
    GSM blackberries are the suck. I have one.

That being said, take the sim card out of your mates phone and clean off the the metal prongs that make contact with the sim card. they need to be gold.

2nd, I'd have vodafone replace the sim card, unless they want to charge you.

3rd, put the sim card back in, after you cover it with the latch take a very small piece of paper just big enough to cover the sim card and lay it over it, I folded the paper about 3 or 4 times, just enough so that when you put the battery in it pushed down on the sim card and maintains good contact.

Whenever this problem occurs, simply pull the battery, slide the sim out, i like to blow it off to feel like I accomplished something, and put it all back together.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/sim-card-error-208216/
    CrackBerry Newbie

Angry

I've had my BB Pearl for less than 1 month and for the past 2 weeks it keeps saying "sim card error" and "invalid sim card". I keep taking it out, blowing on it and re-inserting it and it seems to work for a few days.
    I called Rogers Customer Care & Tech Support and both of them said to download something off the internet. (But, of course, there is nothing to download off their website to fix the problem... and nothing adressing the problem.)

Global Posts
    35,357 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKitty View Post
    I've had my BB Pearl for less than 1 month and for the past 2 weeks it keeps saying "sim card error" and "invalid sim card". I keep taking it out, blowing on it and re-inserting it and it seems to work for a few days.
    I called Rogers Customer Care & Tech Support and both of them said to download something off the internet. (But, of course, there is nothing to download off their website to fix the problem... and nothing adressing the problem.)
    1. Try cleaning the contacts and SIM card with an eraser, GENTLY. Make sure and blow out the remains.

2. Make sure the latch is working well holding it in place, and that the contact pins are not flat.

3. Find out specifically what Rogers wants you to download, I presume there is something, though I'd only be guessing without a link.

4. If it continues to persist, take it to a Rogers store when it has the error on it, and have them fix it.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Smile Paper works...

Have been using my 8220 (Pearl Flip) for about 3 weeks and about a week ago it started giving me problems with the SIM Card. "Sim Card Error" and "Insert Sim Card" messages would appear where my carrier information would normally. After reading this thread, and inserting a cut-down to size business card thick piece of paper behind my sim card, I haven't had the problem happen again! To be sure I also used a pencil eraser on the Sim's connector. Not exactly the highest quality fix in the world but once you have it in you wont ever notice it again. Thanks for the fix!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Thank god

I just had to get an account to thank you guys for this simple fix.

I don't know why I hadn't tried such an obvious jury-rig solution, but for a year now I've had this problem intermittently (lately several times a day).

I cleaned the contacts with an eraser, and put in a nice thick piece of paper on top of the SIM card. Hopefully it will solve my problems.

Thanks so much.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi i have a torch 9800,now it started to say sim card error,so what could be the problem?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: SIM Card Error

i have a 9320 3 months old, sim about 8 months old, but started with sim error once a week but kept getting more and more often now my phone is constantly saying sim error i take the card and battery out at least 15 times then it works for approx 10 minuted then goes back to sim error very irritating what if i need to make an urgent call? please help!! i am with alteck wow are they unhelpful!!!