CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question repairing broken key

My husband has a blackberry pearl 8100 with a broken I/U key. You have to push hard and at an odd angle to get the key to work. I've done some searching for parts to fix this, and I'm thinking I need to replace the mylar keypad sheet (not sure if this is the right term, but it looks like this:

Am I right in thinking that it isn't just the actual keypad but the mylar keydome? I have taken it apart and there is nothing different about the I/U key on the keypad itself. I haven't been able to find any instructions for replacing the mylar keypad. Can anyone here give me some advice, please?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Well, you have said that you have taken the phone apart, so did you see any way how the keypad disconnects from the circuit board? All I could find was some real good disassembly instructions with good pics, but it sounds like you have done that already. But I am thinking that if you can take it apart then you can figure out how the mylar disconnects from the circuit board once it is apart.

blackberryfaq.com/index.php/8100_Disassembly
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It looks almost like a sticker. I haven't wanted to peel it off since my husband still needs to use the phone. Not sure what to do...