Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation My blackberry pearl won't charge! HELP!

When I plug in my charger the charge light will come on for a few seconds then it will go off... If I keep playing with it I can finally get it to charge like it is supposed to. But I know that that is not a normal behavior for a phone and it is really bothering me to figure out what is wrong with it before something else goes wrong with it because I have only had the phone for a short time. When I look at the charger port on the phone once I took it apart, it does not look like the ports are loose. When I look into the port from the side I am only seeing 4 prongs there, there is a groove in the middle but I don't see a prong inside of that groove... HELP?!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    PIN

You should contact your provider to see what options they have for you. (insurance, manufacture repair).

Otherwise you can probably contact RIM directly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    PIN
    21DA38F3

It could be that there is an internal problem with your charging port which may not be visible - I think this may be the case as you are able to get it to charge after 'playing with it'.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different USB cable?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2783A89A

Default charging problem

Look at the USB port. You should see five(5) shiny gold points. If you don't, contact your provider for a replacement. Those gold contacts will sometimes snag and pop out of the USB track. If you are missing one, you will not charge or be able to access the phone thru DM (unless you use Blurtooth).
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts

is a usb port problem, call provider to replace
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

See the phone is a T-Mobile phone that I had gotten from an old buddy of mine that he only had for about 6 months. I had gotten the phone unlocked so I could use it with my AT&T service. Is there anyway that I could possibly fix the phone myself? I mean I know quite a bit of stuff when it comes to electronics
    CrackBerry Newbie

my phone just did the same thing. it was a tmobile phone. i had insurance so fortunately i got it replaced. it was the port, not the battery. they told me that there wasnt a way to fix it other than replacing the phone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I had the same problem. You basically got two options. One you can replace the usb port yourself by buying the part online(google for usb port part). The only problem is soldering the usb port is a bit difficult. You got to know what your doing. If not you can mess it up. Taking it apart is fairly easy. Soldering it is a bit more challenging. The second thing to do is buy a stand up charger (Cradle Charger)which will charge the phone and just use the usb to update phone or communicate with it. You can always connect via a computer using the bluetooth.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Angry Blackberry won't Charge

Apparently this is a common problem with this piece of junk. I haven't been able to charge mine and I read your blog and then looked into the charge port and see that only 4 of the 5 prongs are there as well. I can see that the 5th somehow got pushed way down in and probably isn't making contact. This is my second blackberry pearl and they are absolute junk. The first one was faulty for different reasons. I have never had so many problems with a phone in my life. Unless it can be fixed I will probably take it back and get a 3rd one unless I can get out of my ridiculous 2-year contract because of terrible customer service and garbage phones they keep producing.

Quote Originally Posted by wmmechanic4life View Post
    When I plug in my charger the charge light will come on for a few seconds then it will go off... If I keep playing with it I can finally get it to charge like it is supposed to. But I know that that is not a normal behavior for a phone and it is really bothering me to figure out what is wrong with it before something else goes wrong with it because I have only had the phone for a short time. When I look at the charger port on the phone once I took it apart, it does not look like the ports are loose. When I look into the port from the side I am only seeing 4 prongs there, there is a groove in the middle but I don't see a prong inside of that groove... HELP?!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    22A2070A

Hi
    Is it possible to update the os over bluetooth...

thanks
    Same Sh*t Different Day.....
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Blackberry won't charge - temporary fix

I had the same issue:

The blackberry charge icon (outlet or plugin icon) would display or come on for a few seconds 1 or 2 seconds and then it would go off, and I was not able to charge my blackberry.

After reading through this posting I looked closer at my usb port (I had already tried multiple chargers and rebooted the device) and noticed that all of the pins were there, so that wasn't the problem. However, when I inserted the charger slowly I noticed the charge would begin prior to completely inserting the charger. Inserting the charger to approximately 25%-75% depth (instead of plugging in the charger fully) I was able to continue a charge.

At least I was able to get a charge this way...if this fails in the future I will replace the device.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Not all USB chargers will charge BBs. I have about 10 USB chargers lying around the place and only a few of them will charge the BB. The symptoms are exactly as you said. The charge icon lights up for a few seconds and then goes out.

Try a different USB charger or try plugging the phone into a USB port on your PC. If you plug it into an external USB hub it must be powered or the whole hub will try to share the 500mA power from the port across all the connected devices.
    Last edited by Pete6; 04-10-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have also found that I can only get a charge if I insert the charger only halfway...AND I only have four prongs left in the USB port as well. Somehow this works. Oh, the mysteries.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I don't know how I managed to damage the prongs in my 8300 curve but I do know that I'm pissed. If it's less than a year old can I still get it replaced the warranty? I foolishly don't have insurance on it though!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    PIN
    307E6A06

This is a know problem with the pearl, most carriers will replace for free if their is no other damage. But in your case you have a unlocked pearl so it looks like its best to get a dock charger and just use bluetooth to sync...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    PIN
    ch Ur Own %^z

I didn't know this was a known problem w/ the Pearl. My 1st one did this & the 2nd does as well, but not enough to cause me any issues.

Does anyone know if this is a Curve prroblem too?

CrackBerry Newbie

Actually any mini-usb only uses 4 pins tho it does have 5 available.
    CrackBerry User

i had the same problem as you, except mine would not charge at all. I called my provider and since i had a 1 year warranty on it they sent me a brand new one, witch was good cz the old one was not charging and it was badly scratched everywhere

Just call your service provider, make a fuss with them and they will send you a new one.

LiBa
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default 8130 charging only on a computer

I recently upgraded my OS to version 4.5.0.66. Before the upgrade I could charge my phone in my car and via a wall socket in my apartment. Now, after the upgrade, I can only charge my Perl on my computer. I've tried multiple sockets in my apartment with no luck, and I've charged other devices in my car since the upgrade. I have 4 pins in my usb port on my phone (not sure if it originally had 5 or not I never checked).

Has anyone else heard of this issue or know where I should look?

- Thanks
    JM
    CrackBerry Newbie

Well, I have this problem, but i can see all of my prongs. I can get it to work if i blow into the port where the charger plugs in. Go figure...like an old ninendo cartridge
    CrackBerry User

maybe buying a new charger or a new battery would fix this.
    id try a new battery first.
    if that fails take the battery back and buy a charger.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Excellent - u r right !

cbser001,
    Thanks - you saved me lot of money , time and energy. Yes ,its charging after inserting the charger half way through. Now if i can get that charged fully i would probably go out and search for a 'cradle charger' from the market as a backup. Who knows when the half way thing wont work as well !!

I went to the T-mobile store they said since i'm using it for 1 yr 16 days , the original manufacturer's warranty expired after 1 yr !!! This is a crappy device - Blackberry Pearl 8100...

I used 10 other cell phones earlier , not a single failed this early for charger not being able to charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by cbuser001 View Post
    I had the same issue:

The blackberry charge icon (outlet or plugin icon) would display or come on for a few seconds 1 or 2 seconds and then it would go off, and I was not able to charge my blackberry.

After reading through this posting I looked closer at my usb port (I had already tried multiple chargers and rebooted the device) and noticed that all of the pins were there, so that wasn't the problem. However, when I inserted the charger slowly I noticed the charge would begin prior to completely inserting the charger. Inserting the charger to approximately 25%-75% depth (instead of plugging in the charger fully) I was able to continue a charge.

At least I was able to get a charge this way...if this fails in the future I will replace the device.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Ask and you MAY receive...

Quote Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
    I didn't know this was a known problem w/ the Pearl. My 1st one did this & the 2nd does as well, but not enough to cause me any issues.

Does anyone know if this is a Curve prroblem too?

I didn't know this was a known issue with Pearls either. I will make sure I take extra care when plugging in my phone and taking it out.
    Life is full of surprises!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had to resurrect this thread today. I just started expereincing the same problem, (i.e) the flashing red/orange light, followed by the battery/flash screen then nothing, it goes blank. I can no longer charge using my USB cable. Of course, this is after being unable to charge with the wall charger either. I've never been able to do so, only via USB. Stress!!! So all I have now is an ornament, nothing works. I removed the battery several times and still nothing. I'll try another battery and see if it works. Any other advice?
    CrackBerry User

My 8110 did the same thing two weeks after I bought it. I took it to the AT&T store and they replaced it no questions. They acted like this was a pretty common problem. The only bad part was they had no way of retrieving my contacts. Now I make sure I always run backups & sync my data.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast