CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to transfer contacts from old phone

Hello experts,

I am brand new to BB Pearl 8100. I just got it couple of days and this is my first smart phone. I am struggling to transfer my contacts from old phone via bluetooth connection and have been unsuccessful.

My old phones are Motorola V551 and Sony Ericsson T-637. Here is what I did:

On V551:
    - Go to Settings -> Connection -> Bluetooth Link -> Setup
    - Set power to ON
    - Click on "Find Me", it comes back saying "Discoverable: 60 seconds"

On BB:
    - I go to "Set Up Bluetooth"
    - Go through the device search/pairing options
    - Enter PIN on both phones and get confirmation that it is now paired with V551

On V551:
    - Go to Settings -> Connection -> Bluetooth Link -> Device History
    - BlackBerry 8100 is listed here as one of the device.
    - Go to Address Book
    - Select Send from phone book menu
    - BB 8100 isn't listed here, so click on "Look for Devices"
    - It goes through the device search and comes back saying 0 devices found.

That's it. I am stuck here. I tried sending contacts from Ericsson T-637 but it get stuck at the same point there as well. I know one easy way is to copy contacts from old phone to SIM card and then transfer but that way I loose phone number type (home, office, mobile) information. So hoping it will work via bluetooth.

Any help/comment/pointer will be much appreciated. Or if you have an alternative method of transferring contacts, pl. let me know.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    PIN
    221F0B14

Not sure if you have tried this or not...Don't have the phone paired with the bb. It sounds like maybe the phone is paired already and can't find any devices b/c it is already paired.

Also I am not sure if you can send contacts between different brands of phones
    Justin
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. --Unknown
    Twitter me
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for your quick response. Yep, I have tried that too. Start with not have both phones paired but same result. V551 comes back saying 0 devices found when searching for devices.

I am too wondering if BB 8100 is compatible with V551 and T-637 or not. That may be the reason. I looked all over the net for any kind of compatibility list but haven't found any.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Do you have the ability to transfer the contacts from your old phones into Outlook on your computer? I know the T-637 is able to do that through a data cable, so I'd assume it could do it via Bluetooth. Then, once you've got everything in Outlook, you could sync your BB with Outlook with the DM.
    CrackBerry User

Well I noticed you have T-Mobile, can't you just save all your contacts to the sim card? That's what I did..a lot easier since I have yet to figure out the whole bluetooth thing =P
    PIN:2437E5E6
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks for your response sarbear. As I said in my original post, yes I know I can copy these via SIM card but the problem with that is I loose other related info - mainly the type of phone number (home, office, cell). In my old phones, I have multiple phone numbers for a given contact and have designated those as home, office or cell.

Copying via SIM card only copy name and phone number and not the type of phone number.
  7. ibh
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think the reason the v551 can't see your blackberry is because the blackberry isn't set to be discoverable. Go to Options -> Bluetooth and press menu -> Options. Change Discoverable to yes.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks ibh. I tried that and yes, now V551 can discover as a device but when I select to transfer contacts, it says "Service not supported". This tells me transferring contacts from V551 to BB Pearl isn't supported via Bluetooth.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Today 9-8-08, the local T Mobile store started using a new device to transfer Contacts from any phone to any phone. It is offered as a free service to T-Mobile customers, so I went in to have them transfer my contacts from my Rizr to my Pearl 8100. They could not get it done so they asked that I come back on Tuesday so their manager can give it a shot.
    Having done a little research (googled it) it would appear that this can not be done with Bluetooth as I have tried every possible combination of processess. I am considering creating my Outlook Contacts to match my Phone Contacts and then I will transfer to the Pearl.
    CrackBerry Newbie

EUREKA!!
    T-Mobile was able to transfer all the contacts from my Motorola Rizr to my Blackberry Pearl.
    They have a new $8000 machine that enables T-Mobile to transfer contacts from any phone to just about any phone. I did not see the machine but I did get to meet the "Wizard of Oz" guy that actually performed the operation. Be sure to ask for the guy they keep in the back to do the procedure, he speaks techie and can get the job done.