Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By webbo18
  1. hard2say's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PIN
    NUPS
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default General Settings / Number of Password Attempts =10

    Quick question about this. I believe, after reading a couple other posts, that if you exceed the number of password attempts you "lose data." What exactly does this mean? Does the phone blow away all settings, passwords, SD storage data, etc.? Self destruct, so to speak?

    I ask only because I've recently been forwarding my "corporate" email to my phone via T-Mobile and I like the idea that, "if you don't know the password, you're burnt." I certainly don't need Joe Someone accessing all of my goods.

    Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by hard2say; 05-21-2008 at 02:05 AM.
  2. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,134 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    If you exceed your password attempts limit (defaults to 10, but you can set it as low as 3), you will be prompted one last time to type the word blackberry. The device will then wipe. It will be reset to the factory out-of-the-box condition, and the password reset. You will lose everything in the device memory, with no possibility of recovery. However, I don't believe it will format the SD card, since that's not part of the factory configuration. And I'm not willing to wipe mine to test it!
  3. hard2say's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PIN
    NUPS
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    If you exceed your password attempts limit (defaults to 10, but you can set it as low as 3), you will be prompted one last time to type the word blackberry. The device will then wipe. It will be reset to the factory out-of-the-box condition, and the password reset. You will lose everything in the device memory, with no possibility of recovery. However, I don't believe it will format the SD card, since that's not part of the factory configuration. And I'm not willing to wipe mine to test it!

    I can certainly understand not wanting to wipe your device out . Thanks for the information. You're a big help on these boards!
  4. Hazysky's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,945 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Do regular back ups via Desktop Manager which will restore your settings should this situation ever arise.
  5. hard2say's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PIN
    NUPS
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazysky View Post
    Do regular back ups via Desktop Manager which will restore your settings should this situation ever arise.
    You aren't kidding. I've been making regular backups (twice a week - which I'm sure is overkill ) since I password protected my device. Thanks!
  6. Hazysky's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,945 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Better safe than sorry
  7. TEGFIRESSEI's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I know this post was a while back but on my 8330 Curve, I apparently exceeded my password attempts (10) and it said to type in blackberry. I figured I was going to have to reload everything and so on, but I was able to resolve without having to do so.... I plugged my bb in to the usb and loaded up bb manager. It asked for the password and I entered it and it ran its update check (contacts, calendar, etc.) and then it asked for the password again for something (not sure what it was), but once my bb stopped indicating on the screen that it was making a data connection, I hit the trackball and it asked for my password, not to type in 'blackberry'. I was so relieved bc I had actually started to type in blackberry and then decided to try the manager. Sorry for the long post, but I thought it might be helpful.
  8. webbo18's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    can i just try and get this
    if i was to enter the code 10 times when it says device lock
    would if just wipe the phone back to factory settings and not lock it completely and the phone could still be used?
    Jack Senior likes this.
  9. Jack Senior's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webbo18 View Post
    can i just try and get this
    if i was to enter the code 10 times when it says device lock
    would if just wipe the phone back to factory settings and not lock it completely and the phone could still be used?
    I was wondering this can sombody please help because i am on my 10th attempt and i am wondering if the phone will still work after the wipe
  10. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,134 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Senior View Post
    I was wondering this can sombody please help because i am on my 10th attempt and i am wondering if the phone will still work after the wipe
    Yes, the phone will still work after the wipe. If you have a backup, you can reload your personal data and be on your way. See the "Why won't Desktop Manager accept my BlackBerry password" link in my sig for a possible explanation of your password problem.
  11. earth703's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Is there a way to change the number of attempts to 3 for Q10?

Posting Permissions