Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Typing on a Pearl 9100

Hey guys,

I just got a Blackberry Pearl 9100 off eBay for a good price ($70 with battery, charger, and USB cable), and I'm looking forward to using it. I wasn't expecting to have any trouble with typing because I'd used a friends for a while before just fine, but...

...but I am having trouble typing on it. I don't know what's going on but for the life of me I can't figure out how to type in a URL properly (since most words in a URL won't be recognized). I just spent about 20 minutes trying to get to TVTropes with no success. Is there a way to turn off the predictive text or something so that you can just type by pushing the letters you want? I can see how the SureType predictive stuff might be great for messaging and whatnot but it is almost impossible to get a URL entered.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong and need practice, but I spent a good bit of time on Google before coming here too and no luck with figuring out how the typing is supposed to work in detail. Holding ALT gets me numbers instead of alternate letters, shift capitalizes, and so forth.

Help please? Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Anyone? I want to make sure that it's just me missing something and not the phone being broken somehow (it's used).
    BlackBerry Diva

~DENISE~
    YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!

PLEASE STOP WITH THE LONG POSTS! YOU'RE BORING US.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    234544FF

You're dead right on this - changing to multi tap to enter URL info will be the easiest way to do this. Can be changed over in the menu whilst your cursor is in any text entry space. I generally change back to suretype for longer text (messages, email etc) as it really is the fastest way to type. Other than practice, I found a little bit of time spent typing lets your device "learn" the words you use frequently - especially if they haven't been entered into the custom dictionary as yet.
    Hope this reaches you in time - haven't been on the forums for a little bit (shame on me...)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

on the menu select enable "multi-tap" (or sure-type as is on the screenshot)
    multi-tap typing brings back memories of ye ole' brick sized cellphones
    Typing on a Pearl 9100-enablesuretype.jpg