Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By himrob
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry Keyboard Problem--- Blackberry Pearl 9100

Whenever I type (Any letter/ space bar), my phone seems to want to keep adding multiple letters making my word longer/incorrect, or have multiple spaces in between words. I only press the button once, so I was just wondering what was up with it!! I am getting kind of annoyed now because my friends are all trying to figure out what I was trying to send them and I have a bad habit of not reading over what I send. Hope someone can help
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Also, I am having troubles setting up my email. The icon would not show up after I configure my email address, so if anyone has suggestions on how to get it to show, it would be greatly appreciated!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    PIN
    ASK

yes i know what u mean.. alot of ppl who have the pearl 3g have that same problem including myself.. dont know how to fix it but at time it will start to work fine and start to have that problem again
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by theKHMERboy View Post
    yes i know what u mean.. alot of ppl who have the pearl 3g have that same problem including myself.. dont know how to fix it but at time it will start to work fine and start to have that problem again
    Alright, thank you.

This phone is nuts!! I can't believe they can make them like this :/
    CrackBerry User

Greetings!

I've found a solution for the multi-pressing-keys... It involves some sweat, though...
    The internals of the keyboard must be changed (basically) with of another device (if you have an old device hanging around, you're good to go)...

This weekend I'll make a video (because I'll be working on my 9100) and post it for you guys to watch...
    --
    UPDATE:I think replacing the PCB is the way to go (not for me because the part needed doesn't come to my country)
    Last edited by dbarrera; 05-03-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Better ideas for helping
    David E. Barrera
    Head of Systems Dept. @ Multicom
    Guayaquil, Guayas, EC
    CrackBerry Abuser

If anyone with keyboard issues is giving up on their device and would like to sell it for parts, please pm me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28625D87

A fresh install with an updated software solved this problem for me
    Thanked by:
    publiciist (05-13-2011) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by _Brake_ View Post
    I had a theme on, got the problem, then realized it is the theme that is causing my phone to do this!
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had that problem when used it first time, after 10 mins i have found the solution for this kind of prob.

if you wanna type your own word .. switch to MultiTap option for regular use .. you can enable sureType again.

i loved the feature, my regional words are getting saved automatically ... so i can use those with sureType also.

again, with suretype you may type your own words .. only you have to press 0 rather that 'enter' to get the letters typing.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by _Brake_ View Post
    Hi,

When you say updated software, which version do you mean. Did you upgrade to OS 6?

Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

My 9100 has developed the same problem too. Every few keystrokes, I get 2-4 entries for the same key.

It had occurred around the same time when I upgraded from OS5 to OS6. So I tried wiping the phone and reverted back to the old OS but it still has the same problem.

Therefore, I think the problem is hardware related. There must be something within the keyboard that is causing the keys to stick and make multiple key strokes when pressed.

I still have warranty left on the phone, so I will probably bring in to the carrier to get it fixed.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default fix it like this

hi i got the same exact problem
    heres how you fix it

only need to open up 4 screws at lower parts of your pearl
    take out the keypad
    and open it
    peel the white plastic, (in picture 1)
    change the metallic dome (in picture 2)to any old ones (from your unused old phone) or buy new ones
    re assemble
    and done!

15 minutes and your pearl is awesome again
    you can watch the video on how to disassemble your pearl at youtube...
    cheerss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Keyboard Problem--- Blackberry Pearl 9100-1.jpg   Keyboard Problem--- Blackberry Pearl 9100-2.jpg  
    CrackBerry Newbie

I opened mine today to see how it is, and I noticed the way the keyboard is connected to the phone. It is just resting on it and joined with the screws. If the screws are too loose then the connection isn't complete (what I realised when I re-assembled my phone without the screws in case I did something wrong). So I think when you press certain key the connection isn't constant therefore the phone is think you are pressing the key more than once. I'll try to screw them more and see if it works better over the days.
    CrackBerry Newbie

All,

Thought I would share my experiences... My Pearl 9100 started having problems with some keys being duplicated (for example, the space key would insert two spaces instead of one). Eventually, the top row (QW ER TY UI OP keys) stopped working entirely.

I upgraded the software to 6.0, but that did not fix anything. In any case, I was suspicious of a hardware fault given that an entire row stopped working at the same time.

So, I watched a video (on YouTube) on how to take apart the phone. When I took the keyboard off, I noticed that there were a bunch of spring-loaded contacts on the motherboard that make contact with the keyboard PCB. I figured one of these was not working, as that would explain why a complete row stopped working. I took a little safety pin and gently bent all of them up a little bit, to make sure there would make a solid contact with the PCB. Then, I put everything back together and viola, the keys now work!

Hope this helps others who are also having issues with the keyboard. If it does work for you, please post something so that we know this is indeed the problem.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have no more problem with my keyboard since the screws are well tight. Then it was just a contact problem as @nsuri2
    WES51 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

As suggested here, I too changed my keyboard circuit board aka membrane (I ordered one from eBay-China), bent up the little pins underneath and tightened the screws as much as possible, but I still have a problem on certain keys.

Seems like SPACE, U, O, B are affected the worst.
    Last edited by WES51; 02-19-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Default mine too.. was.

Same here, my 9100 gone crazy few days ago. This is my second 9100, my first also got this problem. Each time I press 9 ( M ), it gone mmmmm. And if I press backspace, same symptom happen also. It make me hardly to type almost anything.

But here the simple solution that helped me, YMMV though. Use hair dryer, warm up the keypad a little. Don't warm it too hot, just a little warm. The point is to drive the humidity away from the keypad. No need to disassemble the phone nor change any part.

It works for me, now my 9100 keypad work normally. Hope it help.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I ordered another keyboard membrane (2nd order & 2nd fix attempt) and installed it two days ago.

This one finally solved the problem, everything is working as supposed to!!!

So I belive the problem is NOT with the little pins below the keyboard, instead the problem is the membrane itself.

Indeed the moisture issue as previously someone suggested sounds very plausible to me.

We shall see how long this latest membrane will hold up to use.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

had the same problem, space keys inserts always two spaces (ie makes a period . )....

so I bought a 9790 and now I am happy!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

2 month later another follow up...

-> Keyboard still works like a charm.

I conclude: a faulty Keyboard Membrane as I previously described was 100% my problem.
    CrackBerry Addict

Call the carrier.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Sent using my PlayBook or my 9930.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am having a problem with my blackberry curve keyboard. The letter A on the keyboard is pressing (ou) at the same time , Can anyone help me?