Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to COMPLETELY delete all traces of application (crunchSMS)?

Hello,

I decided to try crunchSMS again (months after having deleted it). The application told me my trial period had expired. I was very suprised to find that the application had left traces of itself and had not been completely deleted.

I have a personal objection to applications that do things without my knowledge, as this one clearly does, and so I would like to COMPLETELY delete it an ALL traces of it.

Does anyone know how to to this? I assume the method would apply to other applications as well.

I am suspicious of applications like this. By way of another example, in the Options of crunchSMS under Settings -> Your Details it says;

"If you'd like us to better target ads for you, please fill in some of all of the following details. You don't have to, but ads more suited to you is better that random ads!"

The description above implies that the application sends information to some one/someplace in addition to the intended SMS recipient! Does anyone know what exactly this is intended to do?

I don't want an application to collect any information about me or my use of my phone without 1) expressly asking me to and 2) expressely receiving my approval.

So, I'd appreciate if some knowledgeable person could tell me how to totally erase all traces of crunchSMS.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

Register the app and you won't have the ads. Or remove the app and don't use it.

The only way I know to absolutely guarantee that no trace of an app is left on your device is to remove and reinstall the OS on your device, then reinstall the apps you want from the vendor. Otherwise there is always the chance that orphaned scraps of code may be left in the Content Store and other databases.

If you don't want apps collecting information about you and you use of the app, you need to immediately disconnect from the internet and never surf the web again.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the reply.

I know how to install the O/S but not how to remove it completely. Pointers appreciated...

On the second count, are you really saying that by using an app I automatically have to accept that the app will collect my personal information?

I can see anonymous info being collected (eg: web server grabs info on which browser and browser's ip address) but personal info such as my device PIN and the content of sms conversations? No, there's got to be a law prohibiting the latter without expressed permission of the user.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,149 Global Posts

Simply upgrading to a new OS version (if one is available for your device) will accomplish the same purpose as wiping and reinstalling the OS. If an updated OS is not available, then wiping as described in this procedure will remove the OS. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/.

I have no affiliation with CrunchSMS and no knowledge of their practices. I have seen no indication that they collect the content of SMS conversations. I use a BlackBerry in a BES environment where it is explicitly stated that users have no expectation of privacy, which perhaps affects my point of view, but I think your concerns are probably unfounded.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

if you go to applications and then 3rd party apps i think you can delete it completely from there
    Motorola T721 -> Nokia 6030 -> Blackberry 7100g -> Samsung Blackjack II SGH-i617 -> Samsung Eternity -> Nokia E71x ->Blackberry Bold 9000 -> Blackberry Bold 9700 -> Blackberry Torch 9800 <-> Samsung Focus SGH-i917 -> Dell Venue Pro -> Blackberry Torch 9810 -> Blackberry Bold 9900 -> Samsung Focus S SGH-i937 -> HTC Titan -> Nokia Lumia 920 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 4S (Verizon) -> iPhone 5 -> Q10 awwwwww yea.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Why not do a security wipe?