Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

I see your point and you are probably right. I thought UMA transmission had to do also with network frequencies, but I may be wrong and you have a very good theory. It really makes no sense that after all I have tried it goes back to the same issue. It has to do with router/connection/speed most probably.

Still the yel? I have tried everything even a different certificate, same result. Now, we have the same certificates from CBW, so if you don't have it cannot be a conflict with other certificates. I haven't researched this "stale chain" issue and I don't have that option you mentioned.

Yes, also mine after rebooting it takes a little longer to engage UMA, but it still works. Go figure...
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

ok, I am getting very tired of dealing with this, lol. take screen snaps of all your bb key options like you did before. you just need to authenticate the cert to get it trusted. did you use the cert I posted? it works for sure.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Thank You Kurtla!

Kurtla,

Received my brand new unlocked Wind Mobile Pearl 9100 3G yesterday. First things first, Thank you for the great instructions. I originally had some difficulty getting to the engineering screens using the Key on the site you referenced. Finally after a half dozen attempts I managed to get the screens unlocked. This was all on me as I have never used SureType and was having a fit figuring it out.

Now here is what I have to say about this phone. I have used Blackberrys since 2001 or so. I work in the IT field as a Unix administrator and I am on call and required to tote a BB with me always. I stumbled on this site while researching the BB Pearl 3G after seeing it on YouTube and deciding that I would carry a personal Blackberry in addition to the 8820 work issued me.

One thing that needs mentioning is I had just spent a few weeks with a Samsung Vibrant and I am now a huge fan of SwypeText on Samsungs Android phones. I can type very fast on a 8800 series BB keyboard but SwypeText makes the rest of the technologies out there look like they are standing still. And this is coming from an IT guy who works exclusively with operating systems that are founded on a CLI command line ineterface and thus am a very dedicated keyboarder. However, carrying a smartphone with a 4" screen in addition to a BB 8820 quickly became old. At 41 years old I have teenage kids that text upwards of 1800 messages a month and I never quite understood the fascination until SwypText and then I was hooked. Anyway I have wondered off topic.

So the build of the Pearl I thought was great. In the past I have used the Bold 9000 and 9700 as well as the 8700 [cheesy build quality if you ask me] and they are like the Cadillacs of smartphones [just one mans opinion]. The SureType is great once I figured out how it works. I kept wanting to correct it before I had completed typing the words rather than give it the opportunity to learn and select the .

There is no comparing the Pearl 3G to an Android as everyone here is well aware. Blackberry devices are targeted to a specific audience and Android is directly competing with Apples iPhone. I am somewhat a big guy with large hands so the keyboard is a challenge. However like I said this is for personal use only and I do not send many text messages or e-mails from this device. I use BIS for my personal Hotmail although to be able to tether T-mobile requires you get the Enterprise Blackberry e-mail package for an extra $5 a month and that is fine.

I had returned the 9700 I had earlier this month just after the Playbook was announced. The idea being a small personal BB device that I could use to tether the Playbook. This phone fills the role I intended it to when I bought it perfectly. Although I am seriously considering getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab rather than a Playbook.

As a final note Kurtla I did not upgrade to the OS from the link you had in your instructions because the only device choices were 9700, 9300 [I think], and 9105 and did not want to risk creating problems where there was no need. So I am running the stock Wind Mobile OS. The UMA works perfect and when connected to my Netgear N router shows UMA on the screen and call quality is as good or even better than when the Cellular radio is used all while my wife plays on Facebook on her iPod Touch 4G and my kids are on Xbox live.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default One last thing Kurtla

I was a teen when Ferris Bueller's Day Off came out and it is still a classic. Love the pic!
    aforbes likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #30  

hey - maybe you can help me - I too would like to get a tablet to RDP into servers, but ms based units not unix. have you used any of the rdp type clients for this or have you used the ipad for this? I like my dell 4300 but its still >5#s with the charger so if i can have a 7" that will boot up in an instant and last all day I am in. also why the tab vs the play? re the os update, I am of the mind that the update is for both devices but then again I am on a old os. sounds like v6 has issues. oh, yeah - great little flick. let me guess, you loved superbad, right?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Smile Windows OS Tablets and RDP

Quote Originally Posted by kurtla View Post
    hey - maybe you can help me - I too would like to get a tablet to RDP into servers, but ms based units not unix. have you used any of the rdp type clients for this or have you used the ipad for this? I like my dell 4300 but its still >5#s with the charger so if i can have a 7" that will boot up in an instant and last all day I am in. also why the tab vs the play? re the os update, I am of the mind that the update is for both devices but then again I am on a old os. sounds like v6 has issues. oh, yeah - great little flick. let me guess, you loved superbad, right?
    I work for a big organization that has over 250,000 BES outlook users. I saw in previous posts you are a BES admin. As for tablets and RDP... I had an early generation tablet with winXP that was made by HP and had a 10" screen. I think 10" is a great size but maybe now cause I am older. HP no longer makes that model. Tomorrow I will go by the Tech Assesment Lab we have and ask the Wintel engineers whether they have a recommendation and specifically what kind of battery life you could expect.

These guys are early adopters and should be able to provide good insight. I have no Ipad experience just yet although I will be getting my wife one for Christmas.

As for the Tab vs. Playbook, I go back and forth. My needs [demands? lol] for a tablet are:

1. Removable Battery [that and no flash eliminate iPad]
    2. SDHC card slot
    3. Bluetooth
    4. Flash support

I may not go with the tab I saw on T-mobiles site ater I wrote the previous article that the battery was pre-installed and I read that to mean not acessible to the owner so I will have to wait to next week according to the T-Mo rep I spoke with last night when it is available for sale. Further the rep mentioned that yo would need an additional phone # associated with the Tab and I already pay for 3 lines not interested in that. Although she did say that I could share my data plan with an existing line.

Yesterday I bought this months issue of Laptop Magazine and the feature article is a comparison of all the tabs that are about to be released. The playbook was on the cover. Have not read this yet but I am about to check it out.

I will have to see Superbad I don't recall that flick. I have an Acer Aspire One D150 which I bought a 2GB SODIMM and a 7200 rpm 500GB and I can get 8 hours on wifi surfing the web and e-mail. It's very light. I replace a Dell Latitude D420 with the Acer Netbook and surprisingly video performance is fine as long as you don't have too many tabs open.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN

Kurtla
    I downloaded the certs and one seemed to take one did not.. can't get any farther? Help
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #33  

Default hey, I had a d420

Quote Originally Posted by SaintThomasAquinas View Post
    I work for a big organization that has over 250,000 BES outlook users. I saw in previous posts you are a BES admin. As for tablets and RDP... I had an early generation tablet with winXP that was made by HP and had a 10" screen. I think 10" is a great size but maybe now cause I am older. HP no longer makes that model. Tomorrow I will go by the Tech Assesment Lab we have and ask the Wintel engineers whether they have a recommendation and specifically what kind of battery life you could expect.

These guys are early adopters and should be able to provide good insight. I have no Ipad experience just yet although I will be getting my wife one for Christmas.

As for the Tab vs. Playbook, I go back and forth. My needs [demands? lol] for a tablet are:

1. Removable Battery [that and no flash eliminate iPad]
    2. SDHC card slot
    3. Bluetooth
    4. Flash support

I may not go with the tab I saw on T-mobiles site ater I wrote the previous article that the battery was pre-installed and I read that to mean not acessible to the owner so I will have to wait to next week according to the T-Mo rep I spoke with last night when it is available for sale. Further the rep mentioned that yo would need an additional phone # associated with the Tab and I already pay for 3 lines not interested in that. Although she did say that I could share my data plan with an existing line.

Yesterday I bought this months issue of Laptop Magazine and the feature article is a comparison of all the tabs that are about to be released. The playbook was on the cover. Have not read this yet but I am about to check it out.

I will have to see Superbad I don't recall that flick. I have an Acer Aspire One D150 which I bought a 2GB SODIMM and a 7200 rpm 500GB and I can get 8 hours on wifi surfing the web and e-mail. It's very light. I replace a Dell Latitude D420 with the Acer Netbook and surprisingly video performance is fine as long as you don't have too many tabs open.
    that was a decent unit for the time I had it. in the dark about certain details and the price could kill it in the end but the play on the surface seems nice. time will tell but I think a device that size would be very useful. wonder if it will charge fast like a berry. would have to have a very good rdp client that was fast and moves would be precise with no lag for me to like it I think. as your tech guys what they think, I would be interested. oh, not a bes admin, just have a few installs, nothing more. good software, works pretty well overall. flicks are had to recommend esp when humor is involved..I laughed a lot @ superbad, stupid funny stuff and clever in its own right like FBDO
    Last edited by kurtla; 11-07-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #34  

Quote Originally Posted by jon24 View Post
    Kurtla
    I downloaded the certs and one seemed to take one did not.. can't get any farther? Help
    hey, what device are you using and what is the os? which cert and what is the issue, error or what exactly. you get UMA displayed @ all?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Can't get it to work

Followed all the instructions above. Got the OS upgraded to 972, go the certificates installed, got into the hidden menus and added the T-Mobile info for UMA. Wifi diagnostics sayd "Status: ISP error. DNS server cannot be reached" It is showing UmA Wi-Fi Available: successful" in the diagnostics.

Any ideas?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #36  

yeah, call tmo - they can reset something on their end that might make it work
    CrackBerry Abuser

Working!
    Despite checking everything at least three times, I now discovered that I had a typo in this setting: ‘psgw.t-mobilesgws.com’ (missed the first "s" in "sgws")
    Thanks for your help!
    CrackBerry Newbie

This post is an interesting read. I am a dedicated 9100 user and I am using the (HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100) version of the 9100. Not the (HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100) version.

My provider is Rogers Wireless in Canada. Can I do something to my (HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100) version of the 9100 to get UMA working for Rogers Wireless?

*** I am travelling overseas in 3 weeks and this would be VERY handy!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #39  

why don't you just try it and see if it works, then everyone will know.
    CrackBerry User

Is there any way to getting this to work with os6 by chance? I love uma on my phone but i dont want to sacrifice the downgrade lol
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #41  

you think going from a beta os to a mostly functioning and tested os is a downgrade? try it, I love reading stories of how bb are bricked or no longer do this or that, it a good warning to everyone to leave well enough alone and I also like reading what works so venture ahead
    CrackBerry User

Well imo having owned over 4 devices with with os5 for a year now and finally tasting os6 on my 9100, going back to os5 would be a downgrade to ME. I mean dont get me wrong, i have a 9780 with os6 and uma but i love the form factor of my 9100. If i could get it running, I would love to use my 9100 24/7 with os6 since you guys have figured it out how to get uma running on the 9100 with os5. It sucks to have to switch from a 9100 to a 9780 when i get home just to get service in my apartment
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #43  

what part of v6 makes life easier or better? serious question. try the adjustment to get uma on v6, it would be interesting to find out if it works or not. you would be like one of the pioneers that made this country great.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by kurtla View Post
    what part of v6 makes life easier or better? serious question. try the adjustment to get uma on v6, it would be interesting to find out if it works or not. you would be like one of the pioneers that made this country great.
    I'm lost. Try what adjustment? I'm running OS6 but cannot get UMA to work following original instructions.
    Phone history: Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Treo 650 -> HTC Excalibur -> 8300 -> 8330 -> 8120 -> 8900 -> 9700 -> 9100 -> 9780 -> 9900
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #45  

did it work before v6 using the setup I posted.?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #46  

then you just answered your question, it does not work using my post or it does not work with the beta you have
    CrackBerry User

Yeah, it worked in os5 but your instructions dont work on os6. Cant get into the engineering mode
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #48  

easy choice, downgrade. if one loses major features I would call it an upgrade personally
    CrackBerry User

True, but have you tried os6? I love it, especially the social feeds app. I think with os6 its finally almost up on bar with my android phones, minus the apps of course. I love my blackberry cuz its smooth and stable. I really hope when the official os6 releases for our pearls we can get it up and running with uma (Fingers Crossed)
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #50  

I don't care about anything except outlook sync, cell quality, battery life and performance. I have zero apps, the google mobile stuff, txtforward and berryweather. all I care about is that the phone is reliable and fully functioning so I can continue to make money. never been on facebook or twitter or anything like it, just good old email for me. as I said, I will never try or install v6, it will not do anything or change the way I do things @ least not in its current form
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast