Sometime coincidences have a strange way of unfolding. Yesterday in office my colleague was toying with my Passport and commented in addition to being 'heavy' it is 'too 'thick' to fit in with latest trend and generally dismissed the existence of Passport as some oddity few q*ueer people live with. (not mentioning how he JUST HAS to update to latest fruit phone for no apparent reason other than being 'trendy' and usually mouthing bad press about lack of Apps on BB10 as OS).
    When he returned the phone to me we both took the ladder and went up about 7 feet to look for some papers stacked in archive files. It required that we take some photographs and not have to bring down whole files for extensive studies. I took out my PP and photographed some pages, kept it aside and started looking for another sequence file and Blaaam, I heard something hit the hard floor. It was my PP lying there face-down. Nervously I went down to pick it up and did not find any dings or scuff on the metal bezel. I assume it got hit by some file when I kept it on archive shelf and landed 'plomp' face-down without too many somersaults in air. Relieved I went up the ladder again and joined my colleague and within 5 mins there are was this sound of something hitting the hard floor again and cursed myself for allowing it to happen yet again.
    But this wasn't Passport, it was my colleagues Trendy fruit Phone that dived from 7 feet, took some angle and landed on the rounded edge first, shattered the glass to smithereens and got laid to rest as hurt and retired. In all fairness I give it that his Phone was still working but screen and digitizer were fried. My PP took the fall differently and landed safe on it its face and glass did not shatter but I am also inclined to have a little chuckle about the fact that with 'heaviness' comes a build quality and with 'thickness' there comes robustness where prime concern is not to make it as thin as possible but place the internal components for maximum effective protection. I admire how Passport is built.
    So how much thickness is too much really? How much thin is much too much? How trendy it is to go thin? Humans are hard to please and trendy humans will be harder to please but is there is any common sense in just being trendy just to have a thinnest phone. Micromax India just launched its canvas 5 retailing for US $ 290 and Hugh Jackman is the brand ambassador for latest launch. I just don't know how practical are such phones.
    Attached Thumbnails Yet another 'My Passport take the fall'-can1.jpg   Yet another 'My Passport take the fall'-can2.jpg  
    Last edited by HereticHermit; 07-12-15 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correction
    LyoobaBerry and Sean Fanelli like this.
    07-12-15 06:10 AM
    Haha. So funny. I am so glad his little fruit shattered.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 06:20 AM
    Good story. Thank you.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.798 on Telkomsel Network
    07-12-15 06:43 AM
    For me, I prefer a phone with a little weight so it actually feels like it's going to stay in your hands versus float away.

Set that aside..... how's your friend feeling now about his ifone that's designed for his pants. Personally, loose fit is better. Than you can carry any phone you'd like. And it doesn't look like your trying to be one of the girls.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 07:34 AM
    For me, I prefer a phone with a little weight so it actually feels like it's going to stay in your hands versus float away.
    Set that aside..... how's your friend feeling now about his ifone that's designed for his pants. Personally, loose fit is better. Than you can carry any phone you'd like. And it doesn't look like your trying to be one of the girls. Posted via CB10
    He is mighty miffed about that and hoping by long shot that he is covered for exchange (which I doubt). But we both were dressed for office and jeans were not the cause for his grief but bad quality will certainly be when he is going to cough up the cost of screen and digitizer. But am looking at my naked Passport with renewed respect esp when once I left it in car dashboard in June with temp running into mid 50C for nearly 3 hours . Found it locked out when I tried to use the camera, left it to cool and powered on again after 30 mins to resume working as if nothing happened.
    BirdBruce likes this.
    07-12-15 01:24 PM
    . Found it locked out when I tried to use the camera, left it to cool and powered on again after 30 mins to resume working as if nothing happened.
    Safety feature so it doesn't run over heated.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 04:11 PM
    What's the point of this story? The Passport build quality is terrible with many, many devices suffering from screen lifting among a host of other issues. You Passport survived the fall because of the way it fell, not because it's tougher than the iPhone (cue somebody posting those videos of the person throwing their Passport out of a moving Lamborghini). I own both a Red Passport (on which I typed this message), and an iPhone 6 Plus. I had to replace ~10 Passports since the launch for various defects. My iPhone wasn't replaced even once. I'm comfortable in saying that the build quality is better on the iPhone. If the Passport shipped in just a fraction of the volume of the iPhone, you'd have a recall in place by now.

Now, to end on a positive note, the Passport is a great device, just not the build quality.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 06:38 PM
    What's the point of this story? The Passport build quality is terrible with many, many devices suffering from screen lifting among a host of other issues. You Passport survived the fall because of the way it fell, not because it's tougher than the iPhone (cue somebody posting those videos of the person throwing their Passport out of a moving Lamborghini). I own both a Red Passport (on which I typed this message), and an iPhone 6 Plus. I had to replace ~10 Passports since the launch for various defects. My iPhone wasn't replaced even once. I'm comfortable in saying that the build quality is better on the iPhone. If the Passport shipped in just a fraction of the volume of the iPhone, you'd have a recall in place by now.

Now, to end on a positive note, the Passport is a great device, just not the build quality.

Posted via CB10
    I just want to clarify... you've been through TEN Passports in less than a year?
    07-12-15 07:34 PM
    I just want to clarify... you've been through TEN Passports in less than a year?
    Yes sir.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 09:35 PM
    Yes sir.

Posted via CB10
    It's ma'am.

And wow...you must have some seriously terrible luck. I've been through three and getting my fourth with zero problems.

Are you a small business owner with a large batch of them and you're talking 10 out of a 100? 1000? That would be bad enough in terms of quality control.

What were the ten issues if you don't mind me asking?
    07-12-15 10:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    10 passports? I do not believe you.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-15 10:11 PM
    It's ma'am.

And wow...you must have some seriously terrible luck. I've been through three and getting my fourth with zero problems.

Are you a small business owner with a large batch of them and you're talking 10 out of a 100? 1000? That would be bad enough in terms of quality control.

What were the ten issues if you don't mind me asking?
    Apologies for assuming. 10 out of 12 or so. Not a small business owner, just an avid BlackBerry fan. My wife and I are both mobile professionals, and we both love BlackBerry phones. I've had nothing but BlackBerry devices since ~2004. I also resell some phones purely as a hobby.

Couple of screen lifts, defective keyboards, failed camera, premature cosmetic wear on my Red Passport (paint started peeling off of the sides), dead pixels (all but 2 devices had at least some dead or stuck pixels), etc. Too many defects to count really. It's sad, but it's the reality.

10 passports? I do not believe you.

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 01:40 AM
    Yes sir.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds to me like the user needs to be swapped out. The last time I checked AT&T's website, the passport had the highest user rating of any other smartphone they sell.
    lysskr likes this.
    07-13-15 02:09 AM
    You've had nothing but blackberries since 2004, apart presumably from the iPhone 6 that you compare the ten passports to. Just to clarify for my own OCD issues.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:48 AM
    I bought only once and still use it without any problem whatsoever. In my country, one can buy directly by coming to the shop so one can see and inspect the merchandise before taking it home. Perhaps that's the underlying problem: buying online.

07-13-15 03:15 AM
    You've had nothing but blackberries since 2004, apart presumably from the iPhone 6 that you compare the ten passports to. Just to clarify for my own OCD issues.

Posted via CB10
    You are right. I should have been clear. The only device I've consistently carried has been a BlackBerry. I have used and use many other devices in addition to my BlackBerry devices. Right now I use a Passport and an iPhone 6 Plus.

As for the quality of the Passport, content of this forum can attest to the lack thereof without my further input.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 03:51 AM
    Safety feature so it doesn't run over heated. Posted via CB10
    Yes I gathered as much, Almost all of the modern motherboard on high end phones do have this feature I am presuming but this happened with me for first time on any phone. So it was cool to make acquaintance of this feature unexpectedly.
    07-13-15 10:47 AM
    Now, to end on a positive note, the Passport is a great device, just not the build quality. Posted via CB10
    If you read the article heading + the opening sentence "Sometime coincidences have a strange way of unfolding" it implies nothing more than an incidence which I shared with readers. In the end I also questioned the wisdom of hankering after 'thin' factor many trendy users really seem to go after. I never tried to establish any superiority of Passport of over iphone and I did said that his phone took an angled fall whereas mine didn't. As for Passport being better built I can only speak from experience. Blackberry devices have usually lasted me their logical end whenever bought new. But then I never had any of my Nokia Communicators egging on my face either in spite of the fact that I do not mollycoddle my phones and use them fairly. I am not a Blackberry fanboy and I have stayed away from BB because of earlier tiny 2.5 inch screens. I got first taste of Blackberry OS on a lowly 8520 Curve and 9900. I came to BB10 only after I have tested the waters on a cheaper Z3 before I invested in a PP. NONE of the BB devices I had ever gave me any concern about built quality. I am also aware of screen lift, double typing, spot on back cover many people have. Still all in all these issues have not been as serious as bendgate iphone where the whole structural integrity of a device became a joke and phone got warped like a noodle.
    But that was not the point of this story either. Sorry to hear that you seem to have special luck with 10 Passports.
    07-13-15 11:07 AM
    ^ See this exactly is my point.
    Still all in all these issues have not been as serious as bendgate iphone where the whole structural integrity of a device became a joke and phone got warped like a noodle.
    There is no iPhone "bendgate". Out of the tens of millions of iPhone 6 Plus devices that sold only a handful experienced issues with bending. The Passport on the other hand sold a few tens of thousands and experiences regular issues. The point is this, people in glass houses should not throw stones. I know where all of these types of posts lead - blind BlackBerry praise and competitor bashing. It's ignorant and it makes BlackBerry uses look worse than the so-called iSheep.

Passport is a good device running a good OS, but BlackBerry needs to improve hardware quality and QC. iPhone has top notch hardware quality and QC, however iOS as an OS has many shortcomings. Ignoring apps, it's a case of picking your poison.
    07-13-15 12:33 PM
    I've heard many stories of iPhones from all kinds of types and series to actually EXPLODE! Now, I've never heard that coming from any BlackBerry device--heck, or even androids, for that matter. Ever.

How's that for built quality defect, eh?

07-13-15 02:37 PM
    I've heard many stories of iPhones from all kinds of types and series to actually EXPLODE! Now, I've never heard that coming from any BlackBerry device--heck, or even androids, for that matter. Ever.

How's that for built quality defect, eh?

iPhones don't explode, just like Samsung devices don't, nor do BlackBerry's, Nokia's, or any other device. What explodes is the battery, and that can and does happen to all makes and models.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl...ttery+explodes
    https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl...ttery+explodes

They all explode sometime.
    07-13-15 06:37 PM
    I've dropped my z30 on ceramic flooring multiple times. Still kicking strong!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 07:40 PM
    shawnreum - Nothing to do with cellphones...but your avatar doesn't have either so I'll consider that permission to comment. You should remove it. Making a joke about millions of people's struggles to be legitimized in society, (USA) or not to be murdered in the streets (Iran) is in poor taste. You think gay pride is as ridiculous as straight pride would be? Ok, show me the instances of straights being persecuted or murdered for their sexual preference. It's a stupid avatar, and would only be clever or funny to someone who's completely ignorant, inconsiderate, or just plain cruel. Think about it.
    07-14-15 11:40 AM
    Every fruit phone that shatters and breaks is a good day for me, because it shows how often people do not learn how garbage phone is, particularly the new one (the 5S was pretty solid tho) with Bendgate

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 05:17 AM