The more I see this, the more I think it's a terrible idea.

They've removed useful keys like ALT and SHIFT - and the only reason to remove them would be to increase screen size.

But instead they've cluttered the usable screen page with on-screen rows, for BASIC, everyday items like commas and full-stops (periods).

This is not good. The Q10 keyboard is hugely efficient. Switching between physical and touch screen keyboard will slow things down.
    This!!
    SenorPistachio likes this.
    06-26-14 04:18 AM
    Why are they posting screen shots? Wouldn't it be better to see if in video?

Z30 on leaked 10.2.1.2941
    06-26-14 04:53 AM
    Why are they posting screen shots? Wouldn't it be better to see if in video?

Z30 on leaked 10.2.1.2941
    I think we'll waiting for a video

Posted Via my Q10
    06-26-14 04:56 AM
    This is going to be a very unique experience! a low-height basic physical keyboard, which can be used as a trackpad and gesture-responding, and a virtual keyboard on touch screen as extension for the physical keyboard! that's crazy awesome!!!!!
    06-26-14 04:59 AM
    People who are saying this device is efficient doesn't realize you're taking the same amount of steps to enter in symbols. Whenever you are able to type, a virtual 4th row will appear. This is the fourth row everyone was upset they removed. There is a symbol button still. There is even a shift button still. They just simply moved it to virtual so that screen space is maximized.

Q10:
    �Press input area > Press symbol key > press designated symbol key. Three steps.

Passport:
    �Press input area > press symbols key > press designated symbol key on your physical keyboard. Three steps.

Equally efficient while increasing screen real estate. If you notice, when you hit the symbol key on the passport, a giant keypad of symbols appear. However, there are letters right above the symbols. You can just press the keyboard key and get the respective symbol.

That's it folks.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    ubizmo likes this.
    06-26-14 05:04 AM
    People who are saying this device is efficient doesn't realize you're taking the same amount of steps to enter in symbols. Whenever you are able to type, a virtual 4th row will appear. This is the fourth row everyone was upset they removed. There is a symbol button still. There is even a shift button still. They just simply moved it to virtual so that screen space is maximized.

Q10:
    �Press input area > Press symbol key > press designated symbol key. Three steps.

Passport:
    �Press input area > press symbols key > press designated symbol key on your physical keyboard. Three steps.

Equally efficient while increasing screen real estate. If you notice, when you hit the symbol key on the passport, a giant keypad of symbols appear. However, there are letters right above the symbols. You can just press the keyboard key and get the respective symbol.

That's it folks.

BUT: on Q10 the symbol key is on the keyboard! And the main reason why I don't use word prediction on the Q10 is the length your finger needs to take whole choosing a word!
    Nothing can beat the Q10 keyboard! Nevertheless I'm open to surprises!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    06-26-14 05:39 AM

Q10:

Passport:

That's it folks.

Just that you wouldn't have to "press the symbol" key on the passport. You can swipe down on the keyboard to make the symbols appear on screen. At least that's how Z series devices act.

So,
    Press input area> swipe down on keyboard > press corresponding key.

Still three steps but a bit faster than hitting the symbols button.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.700
    06-26-14 05:39 AM
    And that's the point: it's no better.

And it's worse because the keys are not real.
    06-26-14 05:42 AM
    And that's the point: it's no better.

And it's worse because the keys are not real.
    Do you have a bad day?
    06-26-14 05:58 AM
    BUT: on Q10 the symbol key is on the keyboard! And the main reason why I don't use word prediction on the Q10 is the length your finger needs to take whole choosing a word!
    Nothing can beat the Q10 keyboard! Nevertheless I'm open to surprises!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    You do not need to stretch your fingers to reach the virtual 4th row because the Passport has only 3 rows of physical buttons. Thus, taking into account the virtual row, that's just the same size as the traditional physical keyboard on Q10.

And in case the symbol you need is not there on word suggestion, I think you'll just need to swipe down on the physical keyboard, which brings the full set of symbol and punctuations, and hit the keyboard using those letter-guided shown on the screen.
    06-26-14 06:12 AM
    I�m a little bit disappointed. cut off 1 row of keys to cover half the screen with a virtual keyboard? Moving fingers from real to virtual keyboard for each sign or special character? Isn�t it destroying all the "flow" and fluidness?
    I guess you've never input a symbol on the Q10 that isn't one of the alt keys like an equal sign. It takes up half the screen, but once you learn the letters that correspond with the symbols you use, you don't even look at the screen or touch the virtual keyboard.

Yes, even MORE images of the keyboard-img_20140626_073053.png

Posted via CB10
    aminrajabi likes this.
    06-26-14 06:31 AM
    So let's make a bigger screen and smaller kb because people want bigger screens. Let's reduce the size of the kb only to make certain options take up the larger screen to make it smaller??????????? Makes sense.
    Q10Bold, Nibs and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-26-14 06:42 AM
    Makes sense because you are only ever typing on your device maybe 33% of the time, and then using extended symbols (if you are used to it you will not even look at them before the bar disappears again) maybe 10% of that time. That would make them "take up the screen" around 3% of the time you use your device. Compare that to a device that is 3% bulkier, or a scenario where the screen is 3% smaller permanently. I can see how this makes more sense over those two later options.
    So let's make a bigger screen and smaller kb because people want bigger screens. Let's reduce the size of the kb only to make certain options take up the larger screen to make it smaller??????????? Makes sense.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    ubizmo and wtrmlnjuc like this.
    06-26-14 07:01 AM
    I know it sounds odd
    06-26-14 07:03 AM
    Well, at first I was disappointed being a QWERTY user, lately I have changed my mind, relly you use the letters A LOT, so if a pop up happens to access the other keys, that's actually very good, but only if there is an option to have the screen keys stay up while you are composing a complicated message. Think about it, while having a huge viewing area you are able to also have a fullsize keyboard all at the same time without needing to hit shift or Alt.
    06-26-14 07:25 AM
    I'm pretty sure we will NOT need to touch the screen...just push the right letter on your keyboard and the number, symbol will appear...
    Thats why you can see every letter on the virtual keyboard... check it on the z10's virtual one , you won't find the letters on the symbol keys...
    There are too many symbols for the amount of keys

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-26-14 08:06 AM
    I guess I'm a little concerned by the lack of Shift and Alt keys, but I guess the logic is that with autocorrect, the Shift key will be used infrequently, and thus relegated to being "virtual". At least I find that I don't use Shift that often on my Z10, only for typing specialized terms.

Only time and a test on a real-life device will tell!

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    06-26-14 08:20 AM
    The more I see this, the more I think it's a terrible idea.

They've removed useful keys like ALT and SHIFT - and the only reason to remove them would be to increase screen size.

But instead they've cluttered the usable screen page with on-screen rows, for BASIC, everyday items like commas and full-stops (periods).

This is not good. The Q10 keyboard is hugely efficient. Switching between physical and touch screen keyboard will slow things down.
    Basically I'm with you on this one. I have a hard time to believe that a constant switch between real keys and a screen during typing is a great experience. Especially since I hate helpers like auto correction and immediately disable them. And in German (I live in Germany) every noun begins with a capital letter, so the shift key will be in use constantly.

But then on the other hand: it's really a huge screen and the fourth row only shows up while typing and on top of that 98% of the time you'll only need that fourth row and not the other 3 cluttered symbol rows. And the keyboard is positioned very low on the device. So maybe the fourth on screen row will feel natural when typing and not like an annoyingly awkward stretch to the screen. Here's hoping.
    06-26-14 08:23 AM
    This phone looks incredibly interesting. BlackBerry have never let me down with a keyboard. I was skeptical about moving to all touch keyboard after having and iPhone and then getting a Bold 9900, but they nailed it.

I've got no worries that they will once again impress with this one. But it just looks strange to have two rows of keys all next to each other and then the bottom row is split by a space bar. No keyboard I've ever used, even a PC one is like this. at least with the Q10 & 9900, the keyboard resembled something we are all used to (PC keyboard)

Posted via CB10 on my SwagBerry Z10
    06-26-14 08:26 AM
    Text prediction is awesome. It already realises Bla1ze is a "held" (that means hero here ).

I wanted to make some joke about how small the visible screen is when typing symbols, but now I am just going to sit back and enjoy this sight for a while.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    I wonder if we will have a "held provider" offering the Passport.
    06-26-14 08:26 AM
    Hey Bla1ze, what did you want to type in the last pic? Let me complete:

"Hello, I'm over 3 inches and 1440 pixels wide, yet only three frickin words fit into one line."

........omg how I hate docs to go on BB10.
    Nibs likes this.
    06-26-14 08:30 AM
    Hey Bla1ze, what did you want to type in the last pic? Let me complete:

"Hello, I'm over 3 inches and 1440 pixels wide, yet only three frickin words fit into one line."

........omg how I hate docs to go on BB10.
    Hahahaha, you took the words right out of my mouth. This is probably what stood out the most for me. Can we please get docs to go fixed? I'm serious here.

06-26-14 09:19 AM
    Damn now I'm havind second thoughts like what's the point of the bigger screen now maybe I'll give the classic another look

Posted via CB10
    Nibs likes this.
    06-26-14 11:41 AM
    Hmmm interesting. Is there an option to "hide" the virtual keyboard once you memorized the keys? This would allow you to get more screen space. There should be a menu option to "hide/show" the virtual keyboard.

I guess the reason why they didn't print the symbols on the keys is so it forces people to understand that a key can represent more than one symbol.
    06-26-14 12:00 PM
    Makes sense because you are only ever typing on your device maybe 33% of the time, and then using extended symbols (if you are used to it you will not even look at them before the bar disappears again) maybe 10% of that time. That would make them "take up the screen" around 3% of the time you use your device. Compare that to a device that is 3% bulkier, or a scenario where the screen is 3% smaller permanently. I can see how this makes more sense over those two later options.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Basically a slider... with out the slider.
    06-26-14 12:04 PM
138 1234 ...