So I don't know how in the world this happened to my Passport.
    Sorry the pictures aren't hi-def (taken with my Z30 in horrible light), but there is what looks to me like the bottom-right corner of my Passport has been melted? I don't ever take it out of it's case, no matter what, but I HAVE been concerned about the phone radiating heat whenever I use it for more than 15-20 minutes. I've noticed it heats up when I just leave it set while charging, too.
    I have the Blackberry two-year protection warranty on it, but I'd have to pay a $129 deductible (still a god-send) to get it replaced by DR. Ideas? Suggestions?
    It's an effin' eye-sore and my OCD is driving me up the wall over it.

Miss Mari
    Attached Thumbnails Wtf? Can I buff this out?-img_20150601_003654.jpg   Wtf? Can I buff this out?-img_20150601_003719.jpg   Wtf? Can I buff this out?-img_20150601_003751.jpg  
    05-31-15 11:51 PM
    I understand the OCD factor. I would pay to get a new one or talk to BB to see if you can get one for free. Anyone else had this issue?
    06-01-15 12:01 AM
    Melted at the corner because of the heat by the device is really weird. Was expecting somewhere near the battery area.
    06-01-15 12:04 AM
    I mainly just brought up the heat issue, which I've seen is a very common issue with other Passport owners, because it's the only thing I could think of that was going wrong with it. I don't see how it could have come in contact with anything to melt it like this?
    06-01-15 12:08 AM
    Yeah, I will most likely file a claim tomorrow and pay the deductible.
    I just can. not. with this mark on my phone....haha.
    06-01-15 12:09 AM
    I never charge mine with the case on.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-01-15 12:18 AM
    I just don't see how the battery could do this on the corner, in front of the device.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    06-01-15 12:33 AM
    Just admit it that you dropped it lol

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    06-01-15 12:37 AM
    I just never felt the necessity to take the case off while charging it, because this getting-hot to the touch thing didn't start happening until a month ago.
    06-01-15 12:39 AM
    No, I wish I knew how in the hell this happened.
    I'm pissed over it, even though I knew better than to not get some sort of warranty on it.
    I just wanted to keep this one, not have to go to the trouble of sending this one back in, waiting for a new one to arrive. :/
    Maybe the replacement won't have the heat-up issue.
    06-01-15 12:41 AM
    The digs on the metal bezel looks like drop damage. If the phone was exposed to heat, you would see evidence of melting plastic "balling" and the metal would have flowed. There is none of that though. That brown spot looks like an impact point rather than a burn.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-01-15 12:44 AM
    The Passports are all under a year old, and if it's truly a device heating issue, it should be covered under the standard warranty. You should try that route before paying for the insurance claim.
    Last edited by SpamHammer; 06-02-15 at 04:51 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-15 12:45 AM
    The digs on the metal bezel looks like drop damage. If the phone was exposed to heat, you would see evidence of melting plastic "balling" and the metal would have flowed. There is none of that though. That brown spot looks like an impact point rather than a burn.

I was thinking similar. That damage looks indented and not from heat or anything in the phone.

OP, not a knock on you or your story, just saying what it looks like to me as a tech. I am not there to know what happened.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 12:49 AM

It may look like that because I tried to buff it out with a wet wash cloth. The mark on the metal is a smear from the case paint left behind. That did indeed come off. I need to take some better pictures in natural light tomorrow. When I tried photographing the mark with the flash on, it drowned it out completely.
    06-01-15 01:46 AM
    Looks like a drop to me. Has someone else had their hands on your phone?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    lift likes this.
    06-01-15 01:49 AM
    Looks like a drop to me. Has someone else had their hands on your phone?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    Not that I know of, but stranger things have happened.
    06-01-15 01:50 AM
    why don't you just buy the bottom bezel? change that and the phone will be good as new!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-01-15 02:09 AM
    Just buy a new bottom chin, and don't drop it next time =p.

If temps were reaching dangerous levels, your Passport would severely throttle the SoC and go to many measures to protect itself; for all intents and purposes, you wouldn't have a working device. Plus, pretty sure BlackBerry tested thermal effects on all components within some pretty wide ranges.

If the heat was that bad (which is localized to the top right of the device where the SoC is located), and somehow (doubtful) radiated down the lenngth of the entire phone to the bottom right, I would expect to see the same burning and melting along the sides and on the keyboard.

It's just highly unlikely, but I guess not impossible.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-01-15 03:07 AM
    It looks like a burn and a drop combination to me.
    06-01-15 04:33 AM
    Yeah, I will most likely file a claim tomorrow and pay the deductible.
    I just can. not. with this mark on my phone....haha.
    I feel your pain. I can't even look at it for too long on the photo...
    06-01-15 04:38 AM
    I don't mean to call you out but to me that look just plain physical damage. Even if you had it in your case, the phone can be dented without you knowing when you dropped it.

The other thing is it's such an odd area to be overheating. You're the first person who claim there is heat in that area. Also if that area is hot, you shouldn't be using the phone because that's the area you put your palm against to type and hold. You should have shut it off and return the phone with over heating complaint immediately.
    wincyUt likes this.
    06-01-15 04:38 AM
    If you smoke put you cigarette on the ashtray, not on the corner of your passport. I must admit that there are ashtrays smaller than a passport so it might happen to get wrong laying the cigarette on the passport instead of the astray ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 04:51 AM
    That is 100% drop damage.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:29 AM
    Yeah, just admit it Claire...

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:33 AM
    The way it looks to me is a cigarette burn. the heat source was on the outside because if it was internal it would have bubbled out not in. Drop damage by the speaker. There is no way that this was the battery heating up as the battery is nowhere near there. You did this or a friend did this and didnt say anything and BlackBerry will not fix that for free.

I've dropped my Passport a total of 23 times, no dents, scratches and definitely no marks like that.
    thymaster likes this.
    06-01-15 06:24 AM
91 123 ...