Title says it all. I've owned the Passport for a week now and my typing is still very, very slow. I've gone from Z30 and could really tap / flick up a storm but now I feel hugely slow and ungainly. Love so much about Passport (screen / width / innovation) but typing anything takes AGES now!

How long does / did it take you to acclimatise? Week, couple of weeks, never...? Tonight was very tempted to use the Z30 to write this post, as it was I used the Passport and it took quite a while...
    03-23-15 04:21 PM
    You'll definitely get faster. I don't recall how long it took me to feel good about my typing speed, but it was at least a couple of weeks!

One thing that I've noticed (and I'm sure you will too) is that with physical keyboards, your typing is not only fast, but it's nearly 100% accurate...the first time! Whenever I type on my tablet, I make typos on nearly every word! I have to literally type each word 2-3 times, which really isn't very fast...

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 04:29 PM
    I actually noticed that I will never type as fast again after having my passport for 3 weeks now, but using the swipe up on words that I didn't have on my previous BlackBerry (9900) actually made up for the slower WPM.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 04:30 PM
    That's my fear, honestly. I love the 'idea' of the touch sensitive keyboard but flicking up from the onscreen keyboard on Z30 is a lot faster. I'll obviously keep up with using the keyboard as much as possible, with practice I know I should get better but I do find myself less inclined to type since I got the Passport. Hopefully that fear will pass...
    03-23-15 04:38 PM
    That is part of my debate about going back to a physical keyboard. I've been using a Z10 and love the virtual keyboard. The key to its speed is that I don't have to be accurate. As long as I'm close the auto correct almost always nails what I was planning on typing. But... just like the virtual keyboard took time. I'm sure eventually the speed would get there with the physical.

Posted via my Oreo Z10 w Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1016 and BLEND! 
    03-23-15 04:39 PM
    Yeah, practicing here helps as well I suppose Just gotta grin and bear it, must try harder and give it a chance...

#firstworldproblems
    03-23-15 04:48 PM
    I thought the same thing after a couple weeks. But it took a good month to really get the hang of fast typing. It wasn't the finding the keys and getting the accuracy as much as finding and using all the keyboard touch sensitive short cuts. I seem to always be learning new things. Coming from a Z10 I really miss the swipe up for words, on Passport I don't quite find it as quick and effective.
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-23-15 05:56 PM
    Took me about a month. My thumbs required training and I am not being funny. The z10, my previous device was more intuitive with the flicking and guessing my next word. The passport seems slow in predictive typing unless I have some setting that is not correct.

I still love the keyboard though....now if I can only get my right thumb to hit the spacebar instead of the "b".

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 06:39 PM
    I had a galaxy S3 prior to my passport and noticed that I was immediately faster on the passport, no acclimation necessary. I've also noticed that I make far fewer spelling mistakes with the physical keyboard and rarely find myself using the flick to select.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 06:48 PM
    My typing is back to normal speed after coming from the Z10, and the Torch before that, but it probably took a month to get used to the different layout. I don't use swipe except when typing one handed because I find it inefficient. I prefer to keep my eyes high up; even on the Z10 I typed by muscle memory despite it being a virtual keyboard.

My main problem with the Z10 was that I could type so fast that at times I had to stop and go back because I was just typing gibberish because my fingers were moving too fast, if that makes any sense. The Passport keeps me typing at a nice rhythm where my brain and fingers work in sync.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    03-23-15 06:48 PM
    I find it quite comfortable and I can type very fast with the Passport. You can also still 'flick words' when the suggestions appear above the keyboard. I find the flicking is good once you learn how to do it without touching the virtual row of symbols above the keyboard whilst flicking.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 07:15 PM
    I find my typing speed is slightly reduced from the Z10 but my accuracy is improved, pretty impressive given how exceptional the virtual key is on that!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 07:19 PM
    In a speed run, I believe everyone will type more quickly on glass (as long as it's a BlackBerry device). Keyboards are there for tactile feel and more efficient usage (once BlackBerry implements some more hub shortcuts, that is).
    03-23-15 07:31 PM
    If that's all you have to worry about in life then you have it pretty good. Lol

Posted via CB10
    maxriptin and mrimperfect like this.
    03-23-15 10:20 PM
    It takes a few weeks. You gradually just get better. It was really weird for me a first, and I thought I'd never be able to really fly when typing, but then I did.

For me, the trick was just using it nonstop. I'd text more friends, tweet more things. I started flicking up on the keyboard to swipe up the word, I'd delete by swiping back. I hate to sound dramatic, but you just have to immerse yourself in the Passport for a few weeks.
    03-23-15 10:48 PM
    The more you type, the faster you will be typing. Two things will happen - you will get used to the keyboard, and the phone will learn your expressions and will start suggesting the right words sooner, so you will be flicking up more and more.

I just had to type in a text field of a web form that didn't support suggested words, and it was infuriating. I kept looking up at the bottom of the screen where I was expecting to find "difficult" as soon as I typed "dif". Typing out full words really slowed me down.

I also keep adding to the autocorrect list. Some of the entries are common typos and words that use apostrophes, but most are shorthand expressions.

I didn't get used to the keyboard until I typed out a couple of long articles. Just practice, it gets better.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    03-24-15 12:35 AM
    The Passport is my first BlackBerry, and I've been using iphones since 2008. It has been a revelation and revolution for me. Of course, the iphone is especially bad for typing. The prediction is not as nearly as good as on this device, and the "keys" is very hard to hit for a grown man.

I can not believe that I waited so long to switch. I feel kind of stupid, actually.

The only thing that bugs me is that I have my native swedish and english activeted, and when I type a small "i" it autocorrects to a capital "I" (in bott swedish and eng, this is of course correct in eng - but in swedish it looks wierd. Anyone know how to fix this?)
    03-24-15 12:35 AM
    I am still slower on Passport than on Z30, but both faster than other devices.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-24-15 12:53 AM
    Took me 2 - 3 weeks to really get comfortable (came from Z30 as well), but now I can type much faster than I was on my Z30 AND I can type without looking.

Straight outta CB10
    03-24-15 12:59 AM
    The Passport is my first BlackBerry, and I've been using iphones since 2008. It has been a revelation and revolution for me. Of course, the iphone is especially bad for typing. The prediction is not as nearly as good as on this device, and the "keys" is very hard to hit for a grown man.

I can not believe that I waited so long to switch. I feel kind of stupid, actually.

The only thing that bugs me is that I have my native swedish and english activeted, and when I type a small "i" it autocorrects to a capital "I" (in bott swedish and eng, this is of course correct in eng - but in swedish it looks wierd. Anyone know how to fix this?)
    Open Settings >>> Language and Input >>> Word Substitution. This is where you edit BlackBerry supplied entries and add your own. I have a few 3-4 letter shortcuts that expand into several words.

Also in Language and Input, do you have both English and Swedish set up? Perhaps there is a setting to have a separate Word Substitution list for each language.

03-24-15 07:30 AM
    Yes, as he mentioned, go to that section in your settings and just removed the substitution from i -> I... however, that would eliminate the option in English which could be very handy... another possible solution for this substitution is once the auto correct changes the letter press delete twice and the previous letter (or word in that regard) corrected will come back...

Open Settings >>> Language and Input >>> Word Substitution. This is where you edit BlackBerry supplied entries and add your own. I have a few 3-4 letter shortcuts that expand into several words.

Also in Language and Input, do you have both English and Swedish set up? Perhaps there is a setting to have a separate Word Substitution list for each language.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:46 AM
    My suggestion is to just type on the keypad without swiping up. Once you start getting use to typing on the keypad, you'll start implementing the swipe up feature on your PassPort. It does take time to get use to the physical and interactive keypad.
    03-24-15 07:59 AM
    Not sure if this is mentioned much - maybe it's just me, but I have found it harder to balance the phone while typing since the keyboard is at the very bottom of the phone. I'm guessing it will just take time to get used to that - I don't type a whole lot, so need to use it more - besides the bit of a balancing act, I love typing on this.
    03-24-15 08:16 AM
    I have a Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, and Passport and my Passport is my daily driver that I prefer to type on out of all of them.

It took me a few weeks to really pick up speed on my Passport.

There was just so much for my muscle memory to get used to:

- swiping up on keyboard to complete word
    - swiping left to delete word
    - double tapping on keyboard to bring up edit bubble
    - using touch feature of keyboard to maneuver edit bubble
    - swiping down on keyboard to bring up special characters
    - large keys on keyboard that are more spread out

But now that I'm used to using the Passport's unique keyboard features it's a joy! Love banging out long messages on the wide screen and I truly enjoy the satisfying 'click' feedback with every keypress of the physical buttons with my thumbs.

Mixed with satisfying swipes, and the old school double-hitting the spacebar for a period it truly is a unique typing experience.

It's become a bit of a game to see how creative I can be using all the features at my disposal.

The Passport rocks!

Posted via CB10
    weirdstuff likes this.
    03-24-15 09:12 AM
    Not sure if this is mentioned much - maybe it's just me, but I have found it harder to balance the phone while typing since the keyboard is at the very bottom of the phone. I'm guessing it will just take time to get used to that - I don't type a whole lot, so need to use it more - besides the bit of a balancing act, I love typing on this.
    It does get a little awkward when typing one handed, but so is having to reach across to the far side. I suggest placing your index fingers around the lower end of the bottom volume button, that seems to make it very balanced for me.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    peterburns likes this.
    03-24-15 10:25 AM
66 123