so, my wifi ssid spontaneously disables itself on my BBPPT & I have to delete the network saved & redo it or restart the fone over&over sometimes so frustrating I have considered returning the phone... I didn't buy it to return it... is there no insight as to the cause of this mess... I am on 2.4ghz with linksys wrt150n router & my other wifi stuff (plenty) all connects fine... signal area is strong... yesterday evening I was on the fone with BB support for almsost 3.5h & almost ate the head off a nice oriental girl who read log after log & didn't help... eh??
    12-12-14 01:07 PM
    BlackBerry has historically been touchy about it's WiFi connections. Past phones have been annoyingly quick to Blacklist connections.

What's your encryption method? I've had trouble with WEP security before, though my Passport has held up fine so far. It has dropped out a home connection just once, most likely due to local interference.
    anon(679606) likes this.
    12-12-14 01:25 PM
    I've never had a problem with any of my BlackBerry phones on either my home wifi, office wifi or even public wifi.

Where did you read that BlackBerry "historically" has this problem? I'm no expert by any stretch but I'd never heard this before.

At home, we tend to upgrade our routers fairly regularly as we add more and more wireless gadgets to our arsenal. Perhaps the firmware of the OP's router is, in part to blame?

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-12-14 01:38 PM
    Where did you read that BlackBerry "historically" has this problem? I'm no expert by any stretch but I'd never heard this before.
    I didn't read it. This is from personal experience. My old Torch, my Playbook, and then my Z10. The WEP encrypted WiFi network in my office would repeatedly be blacklisted on all three. Oddly enough, it was only ever Blackberry products that had a problem with it. All Android, Apple, and Microsoft products would stay connected without any problems.

My Passport has not once had an issue with the work WiFi, fortunately. I hope it never does.

Does it really matter what firmware or router settings the OP has, though, if his Passport is the only device on the WLAN with connection issues? It's a powerhouse communications hub. It should be as capable as any other system.
    12-12-14 01:51 PM
    wpa2personal
    BlackBerry has historically been touchy about it's WiFi connections. Past phones have been annoyingly quick to Blacklist connections.

What's your encryption method? I've had trouble with WEP security before, though my Passport has held up fine so far. It has dropped out a home connection just once, most likely due to local interference.
    12-12-14 01:52 PM
    everything else connects to wifi just fine... ONLY the passport is miserable ...I don't understand why I go to look at the ssid settings & it has moved the slider to "disabled" without my intervention... how is that??
    I didn't read it. This is from personal experience. My old Torch, my Playbook, and then my Z10. The WEP encrypted WiFi network in my office would repeatedly be blacklisted on all three. Oddly enough, it was only ever Blackberry products that had a problem with it. All Android, Apple, and Microsoft products would stay connected without any problems.

My Passport has not once had an issue with the work WiFi, fortunately. I hope it never does.

Does it really matter what firmware or router settings the OP has, though, if his Passport is the only device on the WLAN with connection issues? It's a powerhouse communications hub. It should be as capable as any other system.
    12-12-14 01:56 PM
    everything else connects to wifi just fine... ONLY the passport is miserable ...I don't understand why I go to look at the ssid settings & it has moved the slider to "disabled" without my intervention... how is that??
    That's what my devices would always do with the only WEP network I use. And WEP encryption was always the most common answer I was given. Supposedly, BB didn't like such lax security. The second most common answer I'd be given is being stuck between two nodes.

You don't have repeaters, do you? The fact that my Passport banned my home network, just one time, under heavy interference lends support to this. It threw a couple of "Internet connection has limited functionality" messages first.

Regardless -- The older devices would find something that they didn't like about the network and then decide that it couldn't be used. I found this under the logs for that network. Although you said that support checked those? It's odd that nothing was described there...

Check your encryption method. Make sure that it's WPA and not WEP. I really, really, hope that's not the problem. It made me cry the first several times around. Also try changing the channel just in case there's interference. Maybe try downloading WiFi Analyzer to see what else is in range. That's an Android product, so you might have to load it to some other device if your Passport won't stay connected long enough to analyze the problem.
    12-12-14 02:28 PM