I've done my fair share of complaining about Verizon not carrying the Passport, but I was wondering if anyone had a logical guess (inside information would be better) as to why. Do you think it was BlackBerry's call, or Verizon's? I know it's probably cheaper to produce GSM models only, which work on a wider variety of networks, but would it be that much more expensive to produce some models to work with Verizon?

Chen seems like he knows what he's doing, so I'm sure there was a valid reason - I just can't figure it out.
    11-07-14 05:48 PM
    Floor space devoted to Passport is a loss of larger sales devoted to other more popular models/platforms. Verizon well knows how the Z30 did in comparison to other non-Apple/Samsung/Droid models. High-end BB on Verizon is like Sony which only has one model current on Verizon, the Z3v, if that doesn't sell its going to get kicked and won't be seen again. Same with HTC if they continue their market share losing ways. Verizon will carry the Classic for upgrades for Q10 and to serve the PK niche but thats it.
    11-07-14 06:13 PM
    Just my 2 cents... but think about how many carriers GLOBALLY utilize CDMA. Then think about what % of BBRY devices are currently running in those carriers vs. the rest of the GSM world. I'm sure that it's a no-brainer when you look at the figures. Also, consider the fact that BBRY didn't even do their Passport Launch event in the US where CDMA arguably has market lead over GSM.

There's a huge effort to get a device designed then certified for another protocol such as CDMA... if the business volume isn't there with Sprint/Verizon (for example), then is it really justifiable to invest the $'s and resources to provision such an option? If BBRY can get another production line going, I am sure there is more $ to made with variations of the Passport and Classic targeting the 90%+ GSM based world.
    11-07-14 06:38 PM
    Floor space devoted to Passport is a loss of larger sales devoted to other more popular models/platforms. Verizon well knows how the Z30 did in comparison to other non-Apple/Samsung/Droid models. High-end BB on Verizon is like Sony which only has one model current on Verizon, the Z3v, if that doesn't sell its going to get kicked and won't be seen again. Same with HTC if they continue their market share losing ways. Verizon will carry the Classic for upgrades for Q10 and to serve the PK niche but thats it.
    Couldn't they go the direct selling route like they're currently doing? Let AT&T sell through the stores, but have a CDMA model that is only sold through BlackBerry, that will work on the other carriers. Although, I recall reading that Verizon will only allow phones purchased through them, to be used on their network - not sure if this true or not.
    11-07-14 07:09 PM
    Couldn't they go the direct selling route like they're currently doing? Let AT&T sell through the stores, but have a CDMA model that is only sold through BlackBerry, that will work on the other carriers. Although, I recall reading that Verizon will only allow phones purchased through them, to be used on their network - not sure if this true or not.
    Even if Verizon allowed that arrangement I don't think BB would want to take on the support end. Its certainly possible to sell a single phone that works on all US carriers and all US GSM/CDMA bands. The Iphone does it and so does the US version of the Nexus 6.
    11-07-14 07:44 PM
    Honestly, I thought Verizon and BlackBerry were starting to make up after all the hard feelings surrounding the Storm. You would think Verizon would want to steal the exclusivity from At&T. Perhaps there is a great all-touch waiting in the wings. I would hate to leave my grandfathered unlimited data plan, but if Verizon isn't offering anything I might have to jump. I will enjoy 3.1 on my Z10 (which meets my needs nicely except for battery, and I get by) for awhile then decide. Meanwhile, I suffer extreme jealousy at those discussing their Passports ....
    gokulesh likes this.
    11-07-14 07:53 PM
    If they decide to sell the Passport in China maybe then they will have a CDMA model because of China Mobile being the largest China carrier.
    11-07-14 08:14 PM
    BUT power is to the people! UPON a huge rant on social media devoted BlackBerry fans on Rogers wireless complained so much that Rogers HAD too carry the Z30. Upon initial launch it was never gonna hit Rogers retail shelves.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-07-14 08:33 PM
    I just said F Verizon and went and bought a Passport on at&t. Forwarding my work line. Couldn't wait any longer.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:44 PM
    I'd love to ditch verizon, but they have the best coverage in my area by far.

I suppose once the carriers go VoLTE, we won't have this problem anymore?

I agree that maybe Verizon is just holding out to carry and support a phone that they think will sell better than the passport. Although, seeing at how well initial sales have been, if this is the case, they are probably second guessing that decision.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 10:41 PM
    VoLTE is the answer to your question. Someone posted that vzw said they would carry the passport but that it work on VoLTE only. I just saw where at&t and vzw had come to agree to share VoLTE coverages. So VoLTE is the answer and may well move the entirety of the US cell market to a buy your phone then find your carrier arrangement.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 11:01 PM
    It's simple economics. They learned from their excess inventory problems and decided to make ONE model for launch. This way they can move inventory around the world as supply/demand dictates.

Since they are feuding with TMO in the USA, it became an AT&T exclusive kind of by default, which explains why AT&T has been kind of smug about said exclusive!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 11:06 PM
    BUT power is to the people! UPON a huge rant on social media devoted BlackBerry fans on Rogers wireless complained so much that Rogers HAD too carry the Z30. Upon initial launch it was never gonna hit Rogers retail shelves.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    The demand for Blackberry is several orders lower in the States than in Canada. Plus Canada doesn't have CDMA so there is no need to develop a separate model just for Rogers to stock BB.
    11-08-14 01:51 AM
    Ditto on simple economics.

BlackBerry is in no situation to deal with excess inventory. Especially, for gutsy phone like the passport. I bet at the BlackBerry HQ, they were scared s**tless whether or not the public will buy into the product.

They made a limited quantity of the device and let the demand do the talking for the rest. They also made a calculated move to make one variant with bands that the majority of the global carriers use.

I am sure they would have made Verizon compatible device if they could. They just don't have the economic power, the bargaining power, or the gambling power to deal with multiple variants of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 07:49 AM
    the one thing I'm confused about here.. so are you saying that if i am in a volte area i will be able to have a passport on verizon? i currently have an iPhone and live in NJ, awesome service everywhere i go from VZW, hate the company, but have to love their coverage, i get volte on my iPhone 6

so if i buy a passport.. i will be able to use it since i am in a volte designated area? sorry for the question i know this topic has been so redundant and its actually getting me annoyed. Because when i did my own research, the missing link that i felt everyone was missing was the fact around band 13 that verizon and the passport uses. Im not expert though so i feel the need to ask again.
    11-09-14 10:02 PM
    the one thing I'm confused about here.. so are you saying that if i am in a volte area i will be able to have a passport on verizon? i currently have an iPhone and live in NJ, awesome service everywhere i go from VZW, hate the company, but have to love their coverage, i get volte on my iPhone 6

so if i buy a passport.. i will be able to use it since i am in a volte designated area? sorry for the question i know this topic has been so redundant and its actually getting me annoyed. Because when i did my own research, the missing link that i felt everyone was missing was the fact around band 13 that verizon and the passport uses. Im not expert though so i feel the need to ask again.
    VoLTE needs to be activated by Verizon on any specific device that has this compatibility. The device has to be sold through Verizon as far as I'm aware as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 10:10 PM
    thank you for the reply. unfortunately lol
    11-09-14 10:14 PM
    The other issue with VoLTE currently is that it only works when connecting to other users on the same VoLTE network (ie, Verizon customers can call other Verizon customers).

Soon Verizon and is it AT&T who made the deal? You will be able to call people on either network once they link it in 2016 i think (check these facts out, they've been debated all over the forums).

In the future maybe VoLTE will be as useful as GSM, but until then, you're going to have a very limited experience! Just letting you know before you go and take the plunge and realize you can't use most of the features!

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-09-14 11:13 PM
    There's been many threads on this, but IMO, it is a simple financial decision!

They made ONE model that works worldwide!

This way they can move inventory around as demand dictates. No more piled up Verizon z30 units they can't sell to eagerly waiting AT&T customers.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 11:15 PM
    It's true, such a wide phone takes up way more space than usual.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 12:04 AM
    Ditto on simple economics.

BlackBerry is in no situation to deal with excess inventory. Especially, for gutsy phone like the passport. I bet at the BlackBerry HQ, they were scared s**tless whether or not the public will buy into the product.

They made a limited quantity of the device and let the demand do the talking for the rest. They also made a calculated move to make one variant with bands that the majority of the global carriers use.

I am sure they would have made Verizon compatible device if they could. They just don't have the economic power, the bargaining power, or the gambling power to deal with multiple variants of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. I guess we got the better deal out of it, because a single variant is way better than 5 different sub-models that confuse their customers.

And I switched from Verizon to ATT for the Passport. Makes the success even sweeter knowing that they might have been nervous about the launch.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-14 12:08 AM
    yes I know this has been discussed many many times, just trying to clarify I'm sorry. However, if all we are waiting for is ATT and VZ to agree on Volte... "Verizon and AT&T said today the companies are taking the next step in the evolution of VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology by enabling VoLTE- to-VoLTE connections between Verizon Wireless and AT&T customers. VoLTE interoperability between Verizon and AT&T customers is expected in 2015. " soo.. passport ordering ? haha

heres the link, it was out on Nov 3rd, I don't know if anyone has posted it yet, so apologies in advance for redundancy.

Verizon Wireless and AT&T Move Toward Voice over LTE... -- BASKING RIDGE, N.J. and DALLAS, Nov. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
    11-10-14 04:53 AM
    yes I know this has been discussed many many times, just trying to clarify I'm sorry. However, if all we are waiting for is ATT and VZ to agree on Volte... "Verizon and AT&T said today the companies are taking the next step in the evolution of VoLTE (Voice over LTE) technology by enabling VoLTE- to-VoLTE connections between Verizon Wireless and AT&T customers. VoLTE interoperability between Verizon and AT&T customers is expected in 2015. " soo.. passport ordering ? haha

heres the link, it was out on Nov 3rd, I don't know if anyone has posted it yet, so apologies in advance for redundancy.

Verizon Wireless and AT&T Move Toward Voice over LTE... -- BASKING RIDGE, N.J. and DALLAS, Nov. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
    I'm not dead sure, but I think this is just about VZ to AT&T "experience", still think you would need to use a Verizon approved phone on Verizon. Of course, that hurdle could be removed in the future.
    11-10-14 09:19 AM
    I think, perhaps, because Verizon's last BlackBerry exclusive - the Z30 - had such weak overall sales, they were reluctant to jump in on the next product release.

It's also possible AT&T simply snapped up the exclusivity rights before Verizon could.

Regardless, I'm glad Verizon brought back the Z30 and I do think they are the carrier with the best overall support for BlackBerry handsets. I'm hopeful they'll carry the Classic and the future all-touch flagship (Z50?).

Posted from the original Zed (Z10)
    11-10-14 09:34 AM