So, I'm at one of my photog's place in DC working on some PC technical issues,...upgrades, etc. So, he was having issues using his iPhone as a "Hotspot" and which causes him to use a Verizon Jetpack, etc. I told him that my Blackberry PP is all I needed. So, we compared signal reception strength,...and mind you, we both have AT&T devices, his iPhone 7+ is showing just 2 bars,...and then it's wavering back and forth between 1 bar and 2 bars! I let him see my Passport's signal reception strength,...and it's holding steady a rock solid 4-bars! So, he asked, why is that?,..We're both AT&T! I told him that it's the Paratek antenna. He then blurps,...does iPhone has that! I said Nope! Only Blackberry as far as I know.

Anyways,...I set his iPhone to "Hotspot",....and did a Speedtest with it using his PC,...and the D/L speed was around 9.x mpbs and if I recall the U/L was around 6 mbps or so. I then activated the Hotspot on my Passport,...connected his PC to it (5G band),...did the Speedtest (Speedtest.net for both devices),...and my Passport D/L and U/L speeds were more than twice the speeds of his iPhone,...at some 22+ mbps /13 mbps respectively. He couldn't believe it. I told him not to worry,...at least you have wayyyy more apps available for your iPhone than I do for my BB!

FWIW,...I also set my PP's Hotspot to 2.4G,..still considerably faster than his iPhone 7+ under the same condition!

...and there you have it! Don't sell your Blackberry short on it's performance!
    Bee Gee and stlabrat like this.
    05-22-17 09:56 PM
    05-22-17 10:06 PM
    Yes,..we both have AT&T devices!
    05-22-17 10:18 PM
    Good to hear! If att Passport people dump the grandfathered unlimited they can get the unlimited plus. You will get the hot spot with a 10g limit and 6-12mbps down all around. The grandfathered plan is capped at 3mbps down. For about $10 more a month it's about the same cost. New total $103. You will lose corporate discount. But gain 10 bucks off for paperless and auto billing. att still sucks but at least PP owners can have a Hotspot now. Faster LTE 6-12 all around.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 05-25-17 at 08:45 AM.
    05-24-17 09:42 AM
    Nicely done! But watch out, they might catch up big time soon. Apple prepares to test 5G cellular for future iPhones & other devices
    By: Roger Fingas
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:30 PM
    Apple has filed an application with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to start testing 5G connectivity, laying the groundwork for its first capable hardware.

Sad BB shut down the hardware, otherwise, let the battlefield of superiority start in 5G Ariana.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 10:54 AM
    I'm not 'grandfathered'! My downs with AT&T is mostly high teens to mid-30s,...and ups are 10s to mid-20s. Every now and then I get a crazy mad connection and hit the 40s on downs!
    05-27-17 07:15 PM
    Nicely done! But watch out, they might catch up big time soon. Apple prepares to test 5G cellular for future iPhones & other devices
    By: Roger Fingas
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:30 PM
    Apple has filed an application with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to start testing 5G connectivity, laying the groundwork for its first capable hardware.

Sad BB shut down the hardware, otherwise, let the battlefield of superiority start in 5G Ariana.

Posted via CB10
    We're talking about two different "5Gs". The 5G I'm referring to is in regards to the Hotspot connectivity! As in,..."5Ghz" spectrum,...vs "2.4Ghz" spectrum! The "5G" you appear to be referring to seems to be relative to ,...3G,...4G (LTE,..Long Term Evolution,..5G,..Enhanced LTE, etc.

I suspect that even a 4G device riding on a 5G (Enhanced LTE) network will have faster data flow. However,...a "5G" device on a 5G network will haul some potatoes,...or in this case "data packets"!
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 05-27-17 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Enhanced
    05-27-17 07:19 PM
    5G Bytes: Millimeter Waves Explained - IEEE Spectrum
    I am referring to different spectrum, no body need to worry about carrier claw back... app would. Be gone possibly, except few that not need dynamic data, such as calculator, map, dictionary, possibly, overlay ar or Vr.
    In addition, Apple is develop new brain chip for AI,instead of race for the spec with Sammy, neural chip in collaboration with IBM. May be a game change, ( low power, low clock speed, however, May be different programming all together).
    Last edited by stlabrat; 05-27-17 at 07:48 PM.
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    05-27-17 07:34 PM