I just bought a BlackBerry Passport and I love it. When I play music through my car stereo a loud static is in the background. This is when the phone is not charging in the car as well. I know that noise is unavoidable. I am almost certain that it is software because it works fine when connected to headphones and the stereos in my house. I noticed when I turn the volume up or down while it's plugged into my car stereo it says "headphone". I believe this is the issue because when it is working correctly on the stereos in my house it says "line-out". Please help! I don't want to have to return this baby.

Also, it is updated to the most current OS
    03-01-15 10:38 PM
    Shady cable?

In Squircle I Trust
    03-01-15 10:53 PM
    Bluetooth or hard line?
    03-01-15 10:54 PM
    Hardline. I tried three different cables that work perfectly with my old phone.
    03-01-15 10:55 PM
    Please don't take this the wrong way but is the cable fully inserted in the phone?
    03-01-15 10:58 PM
    Lol no offense taken. Yes, it is inserted all the way.
    03-01-15 11:04 PM
    Not sure why its not working. How many color strips are on the connector? One, Two, Three?
    03-01-15 11:12 PM
    Why it says head phones is because the cable your using is set up like normal head phones. Not the ear buds that have a mic built in it.

And the static your hearing is electrical interference from the car. Only work around for that would be a more insulated cable. Unless your talking about no music playing and your getting static feed back which can be normal as there is no music but the phone is sending blank amplified power thru the cable and that's how you radio is picking it up.
    03-01-15 11:22 PM
    And what makes it say "line out"? Because when it does say that and I have no clue how or why, it sounds perfect. Also, I've used many phones this way and not had a problem. So why is this phone different? Is it because it tries to distinguish what it's being plugged into?
    03-01-15 11:35 PM
    I have a strange issue with my Passport. I have a cassette adapter and everything is fine until I answer a call. I will go and put it on speaker and when I hang up, the music is very distorted. Plug in my friends iPhone6 and it sounds fine. The only way I can remedy the issue is by restarting my phone. Any one have any ideas? My Q10 never had this problem!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 12:31 AM
    I'm not sure why it says line out, as I use mine the same way in m car and it always says head phones. Even my android prior would always say head phones. I would try testing a different cord to start, and see if anything changes.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 05:27 AM
    I looked at this aspect recently and my naive conclusion was that the detection was based off the impedance offered by what was connected or the electrical characteristics. Didn't see anything special in the connectors that would make a difference. Now, this works perfectly for me and line out would be preferred since it has a cleaner output.
    Since this works for you with your home stereos, I wonder if the car stereo itself is to blame. Have you tried other phones or audio players that work properly with your car?
    Regardless, one option is to try decreasing the volume on your passport and increasing the volume of the car stereo to see if that helps reduce the distortion.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:05 AM
    Oddly, it's just the opposite. I have to crank up the Passport to drown out the static. It's still there,just less noticeable. Also, I've been using my moto x to play music on this stereo for a long time with no issues.
    03-02-15 07:01 AM
    Hmm. Sounds like something to report to BlackBerry - it would be good if we have a way to override the headphone vs. Line-out setting.

I suppose you can consider getting yourself a simple amp such as the Fiio E6 for this purpose. It is relatively inexpensive and should solve your issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:32 AM