I recently bought a Blackberry Passport and am still getting used to the new OS 10 system after years of earlier Blackberries, the last being a Bold 9900. I'm on T-Mobile's Talk & Text Simple Plan with a couple of additions and have been for 4 years and several Blackberries (OS 7) without a problem.
    While in the US, the transition from Bold to Passport was fairly painless, got 2 email accounts running ok and text working just fine both send and receive.
    Now I'm in St. Maarten on the Dutch side and while I can receive texts, I can't send them. Email and calls are fine in both directions, just outbound texts.
    I've searched through every setting and sub setting I can find and tried many configurations of wireless/data roaming I can think of to no avail.
    This has happened before as I travel a lot but I've always managed to figure it out.
    This time I'm stumped.
    Anyone any ideas please? Many thanks..
    01-27-15 09:00 PM
    I'm unsure why you are not able to send text messages. TMo provides free data and texting in St. Maarten.
    Have you checked your Mobile Network to make sure Data Services While Roaming is activated?
    ExMatelot likes this.
    01-27-15 09:14 PM
    Thanks for responding but yes, went through all that. Switched it on, off, wireless in/out, tried using the local network only (Telcel) and all points in between. Went onto TMobile's helpline and while the young lady tried her best, was limited in what she could do. I'm wondering if it's because I bought my Passport from Amazon and not TMobile that there's an issue? However, I bought some of my previous phones by other means too and no problem when travelling. Confused???
    01-27-15 09:20 PM
    How did you figure it out before? I'm curious in case I run into the same problem.

Many thanks.

Posted via CB10
    ExMatelot likes this.
    01-27-15 09:57 PM
    Sorry, I'm not much help on this. All my previous phones have been BB's but on OS7 and earlier. They seem so much simpler to operate and negotiate through menus than my current Passport with OS10.
    There was no one particular method getting them to work. It was just a case of working through the settings, often with TMobile's assistance.
    01-28-15 05:31 PM
    I just spent another hour on TMobile's chat and have literally exhausted all options. I've worked through the entire menu range and changed configurations of about everything I can come across, all with no result. I still can't send texts. Receive yes but send, no.
    So after today's session it now seems likely it's the fact that I bought a non TMo phone plus the OS10 operating system won't jive with the local network here (TelCel).
    TMobile have agreements with the French networks but not TelCel and guess which networks my new shiny Passport won't engage with? So the cover here in St. Maarten is not quite as blanket as we're led to believe.
    Odd though that my previous BB's on TMo have had no problem here so I am inclined to agree that OS10 seems not as compatible worldwide as it should be.
    Sorry Blackberry. I've been loyal over the years but I've spent hours on this and I'm pretty disappointed with the result. When I'm done here I'm going back to my tried and tested Bold 9900. The one I've taken worldwide and had no problems.
    Thanks to those who gave assistance anyway, much appreciated by this frustrated user.
    01-28-15 05:44 PM
    Which plan do you have exactly? It doesn't sound like the Simple Choice plans, which includes free txt and data while traveling abroad (not that you're expecting free. I understand you can't txt at all). Maybe there's some restriction with the plan you have?
    01-28-15 05:47 PM
    I had a Q10 before getting a Passport and had no problem texting when we were in port on our cruise. Now I'm in Canada and on Rogers network - but it worked just fine on the local networks so I doubt it's a BB10 problem.

Now I'll let you know after this year's cruise when I'll be taking my Passport. I'll be counting on my Passport to text back home whenever I'm in port.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    01-28-15 05:53 PM
    I just spent another hour on TMobile's chat and have literally exhausted all options. I've worked through the entire menu range and changed configurations of about everything I can come across, all with no result. I still can't send texts. Receive yes but send, no.
    So after today's session it now seems likely it's the fact that I bought a non TMo phone plus the OS10 operating system won't jive with the local network here (TelCel).
    TMobile have agreements with the French networks but not TelCel and guess which networks my new shiny Passport won't engage with? So the cover here in St. Maarten is not quite as blanket as we're led to believe.
    Odd though that my previous BB's on TMo have had no problem here so I am inclined to agree that OS10 seems not as compatible worldwide as it should be.
    Sorry Blackberry. I've been loyal over the years but I've spent hours on this and I'm pretty disappointed with the result. When I'm done here I'm going back to my tried and tested Bold 9900. The one I've taken worldwide and had no problems.
    Thanks to those who gave assistance anyway, much appreciated by this frustrated user.
    This page will show were T-Mobile USA roaming works:

International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

At the bottom, type "French West Indies" to get the map close, then "St Maarten" in the map's search box.

It looks like T-Mobile USA doesn't have any coverage there. Whether you switch devices or not, it doesn't look like you'll get coverage through T-Mobile USA.

Have you tried getting a local SIM?
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-28-15 06:00 PM
    The Passport has the largest set of bands for any phone I've ever come upon. The only bands the phone is missing are the cdma bands of Verizon. It is a true world phone.
    So far, I've used my Passport in Mexico, Israel, Italy and Germany. From the problem you've described it seems like it is the signal strength or lack thereof of the partner carriers TMo has in St. Maartens.

Summarizing, the problem isn't the phone. It is where you are physically located on the Island. Assuming you will eventually travel to another part of the Island, I assume you will eventually enter an area which has coverage by at least one the TMo partner carriers.

Lastly, if you are on St. Maartens wasting time messing with your phone rather than enjoying the beach, sun & sand and presumably the company of a traveling companion, perhaps you should re-evaluate your priorities.
    01-28-15 08:53 PM
    If data works, humor us and try sending an MMS instead of SMS. As MMS uses the data network instead of the voice network it may work. Not ideal, not really a solution, just a possible work around?
    01-28-15 09:05 PM