I really find it useful when browsing websites in desktop mode. I found it difficult to read articles and websites on my old phone - galaxy note 3 - because of the thinner screen.

What else have you all found the square screen to be an advantage compared to the traditional rectangular ones?

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    01-02-15 01:36 PM
    Pdf, excel files and of course emails!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    01-02-15 01:39 PM
    98% of my smartphone needs actually.

This large 1:1 ratio is ideal for smartphone usage.

Compared to this phone, the majority of 16:9 screens out there feel like I'm squinting and that I'm missing out...
    01-02-15 01:47 PM
    Reading and editing documents, browsing on internet, reading e-books

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 01:48 PM
    I would put it this way, the only moment in my daily use when I DON'T find the 1:1 format better than a 16:9 phone is when I watch a video... it's not terrible, actually I don't mind and I like it, but I guess would be better the candy bar format then... in any other situation the PP screen is better for my use (I don't play many games on my phone, I cannot comment there)

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:10 PM
    I would put it this way, the only moment in my daily use when I DON'T find the 1:1 format better than a 16:9 phone is when I watch a video... it's not terrible, actually I don't mind and I like it, but I guess would be better the candy bar format then... in any other situation the PP screen is better for my use (I don't play many games on my phone, I cannot comment there)

Posted via CB10
    Ditto. I found the 1:1 ratio much better for reading. A 16:9 might be better for videos but I rarely use my phone for that. My iPad mini has become the movie/game toy for me and Passport for everything mobile. I think the 1:1 screen was a great idea - feels much more natural to me.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly right. And even for video, there is a series I have been watching on netflix that is 4x3. It's as good as it would be on a regular phone.

The people that said that 1x1 is bad for most things are totally wrong.
    Even most games work well.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:28 PM
    Everything....

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:30 PM
    Agreed...everything...

PIN:2BF728ED
    01-02-15 02:36 PM
    I can actually SEE... no need for my binoculars now! LOL
    Seriously, I love the screen size, much easier to read emails without scrolling so much, and for all other browsing. I don't watch too many movies on my Passport, as that is what my TV is for, but when the need arises, I do have some loaded and ready.
    Never thought I would take to this phone as much as I have, since I absolutely love my Q10 too. But once I got my first Passport, I can't put it down!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-02-15 02:44 PM
    While a square is mathematically somehow perfect in terms of symmetry and display area, it's a very hard format for designers, illustrators and developers. Content on a square screen often will look bad, because the creatives are used to their non-square world.

Every peace of paper, every book, every newspaper, every display (beside BlackBerry), almost every graphical content is something between 4:3 and 16:9.

Other things that are square: CDs and Vinyl. Instagram. Icons. Traffic Signs.

The square screen is something very iconic. But for me the perfekt passport would be a little smaller and a 4:3 portrait screen.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 02:50 PM
    All the time!

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154 pin:2BDA5232
    01-02-15 03:00 PM
    Always.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:10 PM
    Picking up Hotties,haha
    01-02-15 03:15 PM
    (I don't play many games on my phone, I cannot comment there)
    I enjoy occasional gaming on my phones, always have, and I find the Passport excellent for emulated old-school/legacy/classic games in particular. That's of course partly because I can use the keyboard to control the games, but also because almost all of those games were made for 4:3 aspect ratio displays (TVs); meaning that the Passport's 1:1 screen works better for me than 16:9 screens. I've had many qwerty landscape sliders and 'Communicators' (Nokia) in the past, and I can honestly say that I've come to prefer the Passport's square screen and keyboard layout. Maybe a 4:3 screen ratio would've suited me even better, though - as in a landscape qwerty slider with the Passport's specs But, then again, I wouldn't be as productive since I would have to slide out the keyboard all the time... Nothing is ever perfect for everyone, there are always compromises to be made, but I think the Passport has gotten most things right, at least for my preferences The only beef I have with it is software related.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 03:20 PM
    I find it's great for viewing Web pages, whether mobile or in desktop mode. My Z30 is already a very good web page viewing device. But the Passport definitely dwarfs the Z in this department, as there's no need to turn the phone or scroll up-down as much. It is practically as if I was using a small computer.

Reading documents such as laws and codes is far more comfortable and easy on the Passport than on the Z30.

Granted, the video experience is different, the Z30 excels at it, but in my opinion the Passport does a great job despite the black bars on the top and bottom. My Z30 is now a backup and multimedia-games device. My Passport is for everything else and it does a formidable job at it.

My only complain with the Passport is that I'd wish BlackBerry had kept the micro HDMI separate from the USB port.

Posted from the mighty Z30!
    01-02-15 03:30 PM
    I'm one of those guys that never thought he would end up with a passport. Have always been a pkb user and loved my Q10 until the doubletyping started. I had warranty through future shop but they didn't have any BlackBerry in stock so I decided to put up with the Q10, wait and see if they would get the classic and do the warranty switch then. I put up with the doubletyping then got a Z30 through shopblackberry when they went on sale, my first full touch phone ever, was an easy switch and I loved the big screen!! Been using the Z30 for a while and the other day I thought I would see if Future Shop had the classic yet, may as well trade in the Q10 I haven't been using. They didn't have the classic but I walked out of there with a brand new passport in about an hour!! Figured that was a good deal under warranty and I can hold out for the classic for a bit longer. Been using it just on wifi for a couple days, not sure how I feel about the keyboard, don't really know how to hold it & I keep hitting the z key to shift lol!? I am absolutly in love with the screen though!!! It's amazing for reading and pretty much everything, I just picked up the Z30 and it felt so weird to read on already!! keep in mind that I have been tiny Q10 screen forever then Z30 for a bit now this monster passport. For now I'm using this thing as a small tablet around home I guess. For an every day out and about phone I'm still looking forward to the classic though for its better balance in hand.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 05:24 PM
    Viewing webpages, docs, emails, etc.

Blackberry Passport SQW 100-1, 10.3.0.908
    01-02-15 06:00 PM
    Its really comfy and unique, for browse the internet and gaming more then suitable, the only downside is to watch tv, i got plenty of channels for free from my carrier, but cant really enjoy it, half of the display is dead space...
    When do you find the square screen to be useful?-img_20150103_010458.png

Aquila non captat muscas
    01-02-15 06:05 PM
    Literally everything but video playback.

Most games actually adapt quite well to the square screen, while some games such as LYNE actually do better!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:24 PM
    Watching old 4:3 ratio youtube.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:58 PM
    Reading anything - papers, magazines, kindle books -, Excel, dual screen, & browsing.

Future Shop salesman insisted on me showing him the features. This is third time I have been acosted to show and tell!

Posted via CB10
    stevepar likes this.
    01-02-15 07:30 PM
    Reading in general, especially emails. Also I love using the wide screen to view the hub accounts and hub messages simultaneously. Being able to use the touch screen to move the left side and the keyboard to scroll through the right side, awesome

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 09:00 PM
    Almost everything except video playback.
    Best part is while reading webpages in READER mode; the rendering is superb
    stevepar likes this.
    01-02-15 10:29 PM
    Believe it or not, I find the passports screen INCREDIBLY useful when playing piano tiles!! The wide screen makes hitting the tiles way easier

Sent from my Passport
    01-02-15 10:45 PM
39 12