guys sorry for a noob question...but wondering what is going to happen to whatsapp in BB10 after 31st december this year?

will we just stop receiving messages sent to us? or is it just that we will not be able to update software or once we uninstall we cannot install again?

another question is does anyone know how to 'load' chats that has been backed up previously on google drive (via android device) into whatsapp on BB10? can this be done?

Many thanks in advance.
    09-29-16 01:22 AM
    If you use the 'search' button on the forums, you will discover endless threads speculating on the future of WhatsApp on BB10. It could work fine, it could stop working, or WhatsApp might send all BB10 users an iPhone 7 to ensure our patronage...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 04:14 AM
    Last time I read the android version will work...but for sure we will have to wait and see
    Sav Sav, Jrox74 and vptsff like this.
    09-29-16 04:22 AM
    Last time I read the android version will work...but for sure we will have to wait and see
    Thanks . When you say the android version do you mean the one downloaded via play store after settling play services issue via cobalts methods?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 04:24 AM
    If you use the 'search' button on the forums, you will discover endless threads speculating on the future of WhatsApp on BB10. It could work fine, it could stop working, or WhatsApp might send all BB10 users an iPhone 7 to ensure our patronage...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Was hoping for something more than speculations...but yup will try to find out more from the forums.

09-29-16 04:25 AM
    Its not in Whatsapps interests to nuke Android 4.2 and wont be for a couple of years. So much misinformation on these boards.
    09-29-16 06:53 PM
    Thanks. Was hoping for something more than speculations...but yup will try to find out more from the forums.

...you might be struggling there. No-one seems to know for absolutely certain what's going to happen... Here's another 2p worth of conjecture though - why would WhatsApp deliberately stop the BlackBerry app from functioning i.e. by blocking certain ports or certain device IDs? Unless they have throughput problems (unlikely) or one of the networks, OS producers or manufacturers consider BB10 a big threat to their market share (LOLZ), is it not more likely that the support will cease, but the app will keep working for a while, then be patched/hacked/replaced by the resourceful heroes of the CrackBerry community, for a while longer? Discuss [ahem]

09-29-16 08:35 PM
    I just tried installing the android version on my passport after using cobalts method of installing play services and play store but unfortunately I still go the message that Google play services is required and further from there it hangs while searching for backups...

Anyone successfully installed the android version of WhatsApp, restored a backed up history of chats backed up to google drive previously on another android device?

09-29-16 08:52 PM
    ...you might be struggling there. No-one seems to know for absolutely certain what's going to happen... Here's another 2p worth of conjecture though - why would WhatsApp deliberately stop the BlackBerry app from functioning i.e. by blocking certain ports or certain device IDs? Unless they have throughput problems (unlikely) or one of the networks, OS producers or manufacturers consider BB10 a big threat to their market share (LOLZ), is it not more likely that the support will cease, but the app will keep working for a while, then be patched/hacked/replaced by the resourceful heroes of the CrackBerry community, for a while longer? Discuss [ahem]

I would like to believe WhatsApp has no apparent benefits of suddenly blocking all users on BB 10 from 1st January....

09-29-16 08:53 PM
    We should be promoting the use of BBM not what a app

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 12:49 AM
    You can load the Android version by googling Whatsapp APK. Download it and it works without having to go to the playstore. I did it this morning. Works very well.

8830<9650<9810<Playbook64<Q10<Passport
    10-02-16 08:11 AM
    It will work as always. You will need to stay with the current app and not be able to update to new released versions. Its like the Facebook issue. If you are with the stock b10 app it still works as always with Hub integration and contact sync.

I bought a brand new q10 a week ago because I also believed that facebook would kill full function on bb10. I was wrong and sold my previous q10 a year ago.

Also if bb10 whatsapp stop working you can still install the android version.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 09:45 AM
    What's app won't run on bb10 in 2017 fr sure. Even Nemory can't make a third party app

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 04:16 AM
    Android whatsapp will work! The only issue with android whatsapp is the sending of images, which can be solved by installing WAA fixer.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 04:46 AM
    I can confirm that android whatsapp will work(and be able to send images and video) with WAA fixer. Have been using it for a few days.

Question is whether it will continue to work after December 31.

10-04-16 04:54 AM
    dont you find the android version buggy

on the passport the screen keeps moving up and down
    10-04-16 05:57 AM
    That's what I said.. it won't run in 2017. UM NOT TALKING ABOUT PRESENT. BECUASE WHATSAPP IS KILLING SUPPORT FOR ALL BlackBerry DEVICES EXCEPT THE ANDROID ONES. AMD TO MAKE A THIRD PARTY APP TOO U NEED PERMISSIONS FROM WHATSAPP WHICH HAS BEEN DENIED BY THE COMPANY

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 06:12 AM
    Nobody knows for sure whether it will work or not because non of the people we have sent into the future have returned yet, our research leads us to believe that they keep being eaten by giant mutant fig weevils before they can make the return journey with the information we need.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 06:44 AM
    So it seems that more people are of the opinion the android version of whatsapp (with or without WAA fixer) should still work after year end.

I am now using native whatsapp on my passport and considering if I should switch over to the android version.

Wondering if there is a way to port over all the chat history from the native app to the android version if I do make the switch? Or if not, does that mean I have to switch over as soon as possible so as not to lose more history by continuing with the native app?

10-07-16 09:37 PM
    Where can you obtain WAAfixer? Do not see it in BetaZone?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 05:34 AM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    It was pulled out. Developer abandoned it.

*ME173X
    10-08-16 08:57 AM

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I have it saved here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrvlz1k2pk...0_0_2.bar?dl=0

Not sure how well it works though because I don't use WA.
    10-08-16 09:23 AM
    I have it saved here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrvlz1k2pk...0_0_2.bar?dl=0

Not sure how well it works though because I don't use WA.
    Hey thanks for posting this.

To install a BAR file just open? Sorry have never installed before BAR filr?
    Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    10-08-16 12:23 PM
    Hey thanks for posting this.

To install a BAR file just open? Sorry have never installed before BAR filr?
    Posted via PRIV and or Passport SE
    No, you have to install it with a PC using a chrome browser extension for Blackberry or by using a program called Sachesi. It cannot be converted to .apk file.
    10-08-16 12:27 PM
    You can load the Android version by googling Whatsapp APK. Download it and it works without having to go to the playstore. I did it this morning. Works very well.

8830<9650<9810<Playbook64<Q10<Passport
    Is it really that simple? Does it matter what version OS the passport is running?
    Can we download the playstore on the passport?
    10-08-16 02:47 PM