Blackberry has finally confirmed that they will be introducing Android OS to the new PRIV being released later this year. They further leak a roadmap of BB10 updates, which seem to only indicate that BB10 will just be stuck in maintenance mode. This signals to me an end to the BB10 OS, leaving one question for Passport owners, what happens to our phones now?

Does Blackberry eventually offer an Android OS update for the passport to existing phone users? Does Blackberry release a new Passport version with Android pre-installed, forcing existing owners to purchase a new phone?

I wanna know what existing Passport owners think about the possibilities and the direction Blackberry might go with this model.
    10-05-15 12:34 PM
    I am selling my Classic and thinking hard about the same with the PP-SE. I don't want to be stuck with another Playbook.

I will get the Priv, but I like the idea of converting the Passport as an option. I don't really want to get rid of it bit that type of device with a "care and maintenance " OS would be a shame.

M

Posted via CB10
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    10-05-15 12:50 PM
    I have used my Passport for one year now and it has been great. This device will work for me for another year (barring an accident!) at which time I can then choose another device. Even if there is NO support whatsoever, I will still be able to call, text, email and generally do everything that I am doing now--there is no need to panic. I have always maintained that if I can get 2 years out of a device, it owes me nothing.
    10-05-15 12:58 PM
    you existing passports run bb10 just fine and will do so for several years. You aren't going to get an option to load android on them. They have shown no indication they will release a android passport either. I would certainly not count on it. Its not a dead end device but its not going to see much if any advancement either
    10-05-15 01:07 PM
    If BlackBerry decide to go all Android then it's going to be Bye Bye BlackBerry from me, as long as I have my Passport running BB10 then I'll be a happy man.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    10-05-15 02:37 PM
    Blackberry has finally confirmed that they will be introducing Android OS to the new PRIV being released later this year. They further leak a roadmap of BB10 updates, which seem to only indicate that BB10 will just be stuck in maintenance mode. This signals to me an end to the BB10 OS, leaving one question for Passport owners, what happens to our phones now?
    Nothing.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    David Tyler and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-05-15 10:07 PM
    Use it till you can't use it no more. You spent hard earned coin to get it, get your money's worth out of it. Don't let new and upcoming product spoil your opinion of what you already have.

New tech will always be coming up. Max out what you have first, then look for new product when you need it.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    10-05-15 10:09 PM

Does Blackberry eventually offer an Android OS update for the passport to existing phone users? Does Blackberry release a new Passport version with Android pre-installed, forcing existing owners to purchase a new phone?

I wanna know what existing Passport owners think about the possibilities and the direction Blackberry might go with this model.
    I think it will lead to the sales of more BB10 existing phones to pissed off customers who waited for a BB10 slider and got offered a stinking Android phone.
    10-05-15 10:31 PM
    Chen isn't planning on dropping bb10.. watch the interview.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-05-15 10:48 PM
    BlackBerry said they were updating the playbook and then killed it off! I expect the same eventual outcome ( and I say this with a very heavy heart).

I am due 3 upgrades with my provider and I will base my decision on which phones to request in December.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2789
    andy957 and krazyatom like this.
    10-05-15 10:57 PM
    Think like the CEO of BlackBerry. Your main objective is to make profit but your current status quo, factually telling you that you are losing market share and bleeding money with BB10 devices. You introduce Android based handset and it becomes successful! In fact, successful than any BB10 devices you ever launched!

What would you do next?

Posted via CB10
    paco12 likes this.
    10-06-15 12:27 AM
    What happens? Nothing really other than my Passport will keep on rocking. For many years to come.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 06:51 AM
    Without knowing much about how a phone really works at its core, would it be even possible (if not probable) to provide some download or update that could give BlackBerry users the option of switching their Passports or Classics or whatever to an Android OS?? Not wishing for that or anything I'm just curious

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 08:40 AM
    Mines is gonna keep getting used.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:18 AM
    You sell android enabled devices obviously. Then, figure out a way to get android apps functioning properly on BB10

Posted via CB10
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    10-06-15 09:55 AM
    Think like the CEO of BlackBerry. Your main objective is to make profit but your current status quo, factually telling you that you are losing market share and bleeding money with BB10 devices. You introduce Android based handset and it becomes successful! In fact, successful than any BB10 devices you ever launched!

What would you do next?

Posted via CB10
    Where is the indication that the up coming android device will do that for them it's only over hype people reading into.

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    10-06-15 10:27 AM

To be honest if I had some spare cash laying around I would definitely purchased another passport again the white passport is definitely on my mind.

10-06-15 10:30 AM
    Where is the indication that the up coming android device will do that for them it's only over hype people reading into.

One of them...

Whether its on Crackberry's Forums/Comments, Youtube and the Comments, Or in person. I have not heard/read so many positive comments/hype about a Blackberry phone ever. This Blackberry Priv phone is the real deal. With all the leaks including the recently leaked specs with 4k video, and 64-bits, almost comfirming a qualcomm 808. As bad as Chens horrible demo video on BNN was doesn't seem to matter. From what Iv seen this phone is selling itself to a lot of people. Both Blackberry Fans, and Android users are taking a very serious look at this phone and saying "Wow!"

Blackberry do us all proud. Your a great marketing blitz away from becoming the Samsung Galaxy series of phone for the next 7 years.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 12:49 PM
    I'm hoping to get a good deal on the White PP for XMAS holiday shopping from ShopBlackBerry.

Drafted on my Q10
    10-06-15 01:46 PM
    Use it till you can't use it no more. You spent hard earned coin to get it, get your money's worth out of it. Don't let new and upcoming product spoil your opinion of what you already have.

New tech will always be coming up. Max out what you have first, then look for new product when you need it.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    Could not agree more
    robert_in_la likes this.
    10-06-15 02:01 PM
    I'm hoping to get a good deal on the White PP for XMAS holiday shopping from ShopBlackBerry.

Drafted on my Q10
    That's almost a guarantee. I purchased the Z30 last year for less than $300 including tax and shipping. I assume the same sale will be around this Christmas. I am looking at purchasing a passport at a deeply discounted price.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 02:11 PM
    BlackBerry said they were updating the playbook and then killed it off! I expect the same eventual ( and I say this with a very heavy heart).

I am due 3 upgrades with my provider and I will base my decision on which phones to request in December.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2789
    To be fair, the main reason for killing off the playbook was that it simply didn't have enough RAM to run bb10. If it could have run bb10, it would have. They probably would have still stopped selling them but at least existing models would have gotten bb10

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    10-06-15 02:35 PM
    Personally I find the doom-and-gloom speculation of some posters here to be premature. We'll all know much more about the success of BB's Android strategy after the Priv has been on the market for a bit.

Meanwhile, it makes perfect sense for the Passport to remain on the Android sidelines - all 10 OS phones for that matter. The move to Android right now is purely speculative. If the Priv's success, or failure, kills off the BlackBerry OS, the Passport has the best chance of the existing models to go over to Android. It would cost BlackBerry little to reward brand loyalty with a software upgrade path as it exits the BlackBerry OS business. In other words, I think this Android development increases the potential usability of our Passports down the road.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 03:26 PM
    In other words, I think this Android development increases the potential usability of our Passports down the road.
    Seriously unlikely... If the Priv is not a smashing success you will have security updates for BB10 until EOL, the end. If the Priv is a huge success, you may have the chance to buy another BB android phone. Either way, the Passport is not really a factor.
    10-06-15 03:31 PM
    If the Priv is marketed, and if it sells, it will generate a renewed interest in the brand, with that will likely drive bb10 sales. With more bb10 sales will come, at the least, more effort to make existing Android apps available through official channels and operate correctly on BlackBerry 10 phones.

I was just in a Tmobile store today and they don't have a single keyboard phone there.

I do think the Priv will be at least moderately successful.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 03:34 PM
160 123 ...