I am very pleased with the passport. have no complaints whatsoever. However, after reading an article on the net titled after this thread, I am not quite in agreement with some of the arguments. First and foremost, I do own both devices. The article goes like this:

"Many preferred the wide 4.5-inch 1440 x 1440 screen to the narrower display on the iPhone, allowing users to view documents without having to scroll back and forth"
    I put both side by side and they show the same content. it may be helpful when viewing excel documents, but this whole work wide is simply a publicity stunt. The scrolling back and forth is just not true, both devices display more or less the same amount of characters, be it horizontally or vertically. I also own a z30 and it was the one that displayed the most content. At the end it all comes down to square inches, in other words, size of the screen. Picture shows from left to right, z30, nexus 5, iphone 6, lumia 1020, and passport.

Anyway, bottom line is that both phones are great and work wide is a bunch of rubish. Have a great day!!!

Ps. I edited the original post to focus only on the work wide concept.
    Attached Thumbnails "What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-image.jpg   "What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-image.jpg  
    Last edited by Tessoro Desoto; 05-02-15 at 11:19 PM.
    JosevuN3, kertong, gvs1341 and 3 others like this.
    05-02-15 09:50 PM
    What is the point of this post what are you trying to achieve? What is your opinion? This is a lot of words with no connection or meaning or direction. Are you trying to say that the passport is not beetter than the iphone on any of the points that users claim it is?

Posted via International Passport
    CDM76 and kekos like this.
    05-02-15 10:33 PM
    I believe one publicity stunt the OP wants to emphasise is the much BlackBerry publicised function for Passport a.k.a. 'work wide' in which I agreed he has a point.

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83, Auscan531, bp2k7 and 2 others like this.
    05-02-15 10:40 PM
    How about viewing websites in desktop mode vs mobile rendering? You'll be able to see more on the Passport at equal magnification.

Nonetheless, all I have to say is: you have an excessive amount of phones.
    alb101, kekos, sushistew and 2 others like this.
    05-02-15 10:44 PM
    Are you guys failing to see how many more words there are per line on the passport than all the other phones causing you so scroll from left to right less to change lines which makes reading faster and more pleasurable. Also these are mobile sites not full websites. Do a comparison on a full website and you will see the difference.

05-02-15 10:44 PM
    How about viewing websites in desktop mode vs mobile rendering? You'll be able to see more on the Passport at equal magnification.

Haha wrote it same time.

05-02-15 10:45 PM
    Haha wrote it same time.

Oh, hell no. Obviously my post was first so I thought of the idea before you and you're just stealing my intellectual property.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-02-15 10:47 PM

Desktop mode, equal magnification.
    PS. There isnt such a thing as an excessive amount of phones
    Attached Thumbnails "What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-image.jpg  
    Last edited by Tessoro Desoto; 05-02-15 at 11:59 PM.
    anon(9353145), Flatman and kertong like this.
    05-02-15 11:08 PM
    I'm a bit surprise, even in equal magnificaton. 16:9 screen shows more contents without scroll down.
    05-02-15 11:33 PM
    The Passport shows 60+ characters across which is close to the ideal 66 characters across for reading vs an average of 40 characters for most other phones. It is just easier to read content on a Passport than any other phone.
    Also, try getting the full Desktop experience by taking the phones browser out of mobile mode, then you'll appreciate the Passport screen.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    05-03-15 12:54 AM
    Except the example above isn't the same magnification. The PP is larger, and more legible (see the icon, and the add bar on the right for easy comparison). Bottom line is that if you can reflow the text, then screen area is all important. If you can't reflow (most desktop sites) then the PP fits more horizontally, so should require less scrolling.

You can easily reflow most mobile aware sites, however I find reading the same font easier on a wide display. I always used to browse in landscape for that very reason. Just my opinion, depends on what you view

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 12:57 AM
    The Passport shows 60+ characters across which is close to the ideal 66 characters across for reading vs an average of 40 characters for most other phones. It is just easier to read content on a Passport than any other phone.
    Also, try getting the full Desktop experience by taking the phones browser out of mobile mode, then you'll appreciate the Passport screen.

Posted via CB10
    It depends! You will still have to zoom in to be able to read in desktop mode. Depends the website of course. Because texts are really really small
    But for twitter for exemple. I can read more twitts on my Nexus Vs my passport. I can read only two twitts on the screen if there is a picture or four twitts if there is just text, which is not a lot. It doesn't suit for all the usage, I guess.

Look at the weather app, it is not really optimise for the passport. It is using lots of space for nothing and miss some informations.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 350773
    Attachment 350774
    Attachment 350775
    05-03-15 01:32 AM
    For reading purposes when in browser, I'm sure a lot of us uses 'Reader' mode - in which texts are maximises for easier reading... other are also having the same features...

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:08 AM
    It doesn't suit for all the usage, I guess.

Look at the weather app, it is not really optimise for the passport. It is using lots of space for nothing and miss some informations.
    True. Just try to open instagram.
    In passport, the picture fills a whole screen. While in 16:9 screen you can see the picture, number of like and comments.
    05-03-15 03:52 AM
    I'm a bit surprise, even in equal magnificaton. 16:9 screen shows more contents without scroll down.
    "Work-Wide" = marketing drivel! Mind you 4.5 square is great for viewing x-ray images. But Blackberry, would you talk to Medscape now!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 04:02 AM
    Op post made me LOL. I don't know if it's a rant, a question, a statement or an opinion. I'm a little confused.

Posted via CB10
    alb101 likes this.
    05-03-15 04:42 AM
    Op post made me LOL. I don't know if it's a rant, a question, a statement or an opinion. I'm a little confused.

Posted via CB10
    This made me LOL

Totally get the OPs point, he's even provided pics to helps you out lmao if those don't help, I don't think this threads for you lol

Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    05-03-15 04:51 AM
    "Work-Wide" = marketing drivel! Mind you 4.5 square is great for viewing x-ray images. But Blackberry, would you talk to Medscape now!

Posted via CB10
    This!

SQW-100-3 10.3.2.500 Allergy/Pulmonary
    Flatman likes this.
    05-03-15 05:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    The app that I miss the most on BlackBerry. The Medscape.
    05-03-15 06:02 AM
    for those that still dont get it,wider is not necessarily better, the wider screen wont provide the ability to scroll less often, what really makes a device display more characters is its display area. The passport usable screen is about 3.25"x3.25" which is about 10. The Z30 is 4"x2.5" which is also around 10. So in theory both phones will show the same amount of characters, see pictures on READER MODE. Work Wide is a publicity stunt period. That doesnt make the PP a better or worse phone, just different. I do think the PP is great, but Im not a fanboy.
    Attached Thumbnails "What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-image.jpg   "What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-image.jpg   "What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-image.jpg  
    NYTOC83, lift, Flatman and 2 others like this.
    05-03-15 07:13 AM
    Lol you're just hilarious as the Op.

This made me LOL

Totally get the OPs point, he's even provided pics to helps you out lmao if those don't help, I don't think this threads for you lol

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:20 AM
    for those that still dont get it,wider is not necessarily better, the wider screen wont provide the ability to scroll less often, what really makes a device display more characters is its display area. The passport usable screen is about 3.25"x3.25" which is about 10. The Z30 is 4"x2.5" which is also around 10. So in theory both phones will show the same amount of characters, see pictures on READER MODE. Work Wide is a publicity stunt period. That doesnt make the PP a better or worse phone, just different. I do think the PP is great, but Im not a fanboy.
    Yes. I agree, that it's a marketing ploy. They do have almost the same real estate, but you missed out one critical point. When you're working you're not only viewing, you're also typing. And when you do, that's when you can feel the real estate. I don't have the same batch of phones as you do but I do have an iPhone 5s (former phone), Lumia 1020 (secondary phone), Samsung S5 (former phone), etc. And except for the iPhone 5s all have big displays so I am not new to big phones. And you are right that screen display is just about the same. But when I start typing emails, that's when I feel the difference of the Passport. It's the combination of the physical keyboard and the wide screen that made the difference. In the other phones, you just couldn't figure it out if you're gonna go landscape while typing emails or portrait. Either way, it's not as comfortable anymore as the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    05-03-15 07:40 AM
    Are you guys failing to see how many more words there are per line on the passport than all the other phones causing you so scroll from left to right less to change lines which makes reading faster and more pleasurable. Also these are mobile sites not full websites. Do a comparison on a full website and you will see the difference.

But you don't need to scroll left and right...
    Unless you are a robot and you eye movement is controlled through some complicated mechanism, on a 4 to 5 inch screen, your eyeball is not really moving, you are really just focusing on different things in your field of vision.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-15 07:42 AM
    LOL, you're kidding me right?

How do you read? Up and down, or from left to right? (you don't show Kanji characters so I'm guessing left to right).

When a text is broken down into a narrow column, it forces your eyes to have to jump from the right-most end of a line to the left-most start of the line more frequently. This can actually get very exhausting, and cause people to lose track of sentence structure and word context.

The more words you can fit per horizontal line the better, up until the point at which the width exceeds whatever width your eyes can scan without having to move your head (this depends on the distance between the text and eyes, as well as the text size--- think of how wide billboards are, yet because you are far, you can read them without moving your head left to right).

So the supposed selling point of the Passport is that it allows for a good balance between a narrow column of text and a wide column of text, given the average distance a phone is held from the eyes, and the average font size.

Is that a gimmick? I don't really think so.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    I know that is what their press release says but I have numerous times through multiple channels what does 60 characters mean and no one can provide an answer.

Does 60 character mean Times New Roman at font size 10 printed on? that is certainly not going to fit on Passport.
    Does it mean the default zoom level? That is both not the case in practice and doesn't mean much as anything can be zoomed to 60 characters.
    Does it mean some generic measurement? No one has heard of it.

When I first saw the Passport I even suspected that Blackberry just secretly subcontracted the phone to LG.
    It is very clearly a marketing stunt to sell an eye catching phone that hopefully can attract customer with a different form factor. In reality, it just doesn't make any sense.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-15 07:55 AM
74 123