I love my BBPP, and am not looking forward to the end of BB10, whatever that means. Can someone enlighten me about the ramifications of this withdrawal of support? Does it mean I will have to chuck out the PP because it won't work anymore? Or does it just mean that the apps won't be updated on a regular basis but I can still use the device anyway. Will Blend and Link still work OK? How will my useage quality be affected? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I feel as though my right leg is about to be amputated.

I can't think of another device that will equal this and I only bought mine about 18 months ago, and at considerable cost. So I am a bit worried if it means that the BBPP will be pretty unusable, plus I won't be able to sell it either.
    08-23-16 09:36 AM
    I think it means we'll be ok as long as nothing major happens, like a security breach that doesn't get patched.
    08-23-16 09:41 AM
    blend is EOL so dont hold your breathe. BB10 itself will function and get security updates but no new features or development really. if bb10 works for everything you need it to now then you are ok but if something changes to apps you use now they might break and wont be fixed.
    08-23-16 11:24 AM
    I will keep using my Passport for as long as I can. It will be a sad day for me to have to switch.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    08-23-16 03:06 PM
    and get security updates
    Or at the very least, promises about security security updates.
    andy957 and anon(9188202) like this.
    08-23-16 03:08 PM
    Withdraw means they will no longer be investing time and money into it.

In short, it will be as is with no future improvements.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 05:30 PM
    Withdraw means they will no longer be investing time and money into it.

In short, it will be as is with no future improvements.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly the way it is now....
    Rustiman likes this.
    08-24-16 03:10 PM
    Snif BB10 is so great that's a bad news. Love BB10

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 03:23 PM
    BB10 has been dead for a while now. Soon it will only be the memories left of a once great operating system.
    08-24-16 05:49 PM
    Same as the 7.1 (and earlier) devices out there that are still working and do what they were originally made for.
    08-24-16 05:53 PM
    You'll have basic functions like making call, email, and so on, working for a couple of years and then it will be a life changing experience. You'll go from managing your own phone to having a phone that either Google or Apple is managing.

Posted from my  Passport
    08-25-16 05:01 AM
    Same as the 7.1 (and earlier) devices out there that are still working and do what they were originally made for.
    Exactly! I used my 9700 until one month ago when I got my classic. It still works perfectly and i've just changed the original battery!

The last time I updated the OS7 was how many years ago??? I just don't care because the phone, texts, emails, browser/internet and all the core BlackBerry apps work perfectly. Yep, it's 6 years old and works perfectly

Never throw out you BlackBerry phones just cos there's no OS update.

I should also add that my BlackBerry flip still works flawlessly, as does my playbook.

Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app
    08-25-16 05:14 AM

The last time I updated the OS7 was how many years ago??? I just don't care because the phone, texts, emails, browser/internet and all the core BlackBerry apps work perfectly. Yep, it's 6 years old and works perfectly
    Well, no. BlackBerry Traffic was a core app and it was retired over a year ago. So that falls short of perfection. I expect the same will happen with BB Maps at some point, since BlackBerry will want to stop paying TomTom for map data, given their transition to Android. But that's probably a few years off.
    08-25-16 06:07 AM
    Well, no. BlackBerry Traffic was a core app and it was retired over a year ago. So that falls short of perfection. I expect the same will happen with BB Maps at some point, since BlackBerry will want to stop paying TomTom for map data, given their transition to Android. But that's probably a few years off.
    I hear what you're saying about traffic and the other app, but they were never available in Aus anyway (from memory). Everyone's mileage will vary, but for me it's perfect.

The big issue will be sometime next year when BlackBerry stop supporting BIS altogether.
    08-25-16 06:33 AM
    Yeah, when they pull the plug on BIS there won't be much left to work with.

I do wonder how long they'll keep Maps working. I'm sure they'd like to get out of it asap.
    08-25-16 06:57 AM
    Having been "PlayBooked" once already, I can tell you that we're in for a painful ride. So fasten your seat belt, adjust the chin strap on your helmet, make sure your mouthpiece is in place and step on the gas; you are entering the BB Highway and it's going to be a maze of detours, potholes, black ice, debris, and abandoned vehicles.

On the positive side, at least you won't have to worry about any road repairs or new construction.
    PasJ likes this.
    08-25-16 08:08 AM
    I do wonder how long they'll keep Maps working. I'm sure they'd like to get out of it asap.
    Good thing is, there still is other applications out there capable of replacing it.

We'll get a few more years out of OS10.
    08-25-16 09:55 AM
    BBOS phones obviously rely on BIS (or BES), so when that is decommissioned (already has been on T-Mobile and Sprint in the US, and will be shut down on Verizon and AT&T next year), BBOS phones will no longer be functional as phones.

BB10 phones don't rely on BIS, so that won't be an issue for them. BB10 phones will continue to work, but individual things may "break" as online standards continue to evolve, because BB10 won't be maintained to change with them. So, for example, as web standards change, the web browser will have problems with more and more websites. Another danger is that a big vulnerability could be discovered that causes a global update to websites that could break things for BB10.

Individual apps are already mostly not being maintained, and some are being withdrawn and/or being shut off on the server-side. That will continue, and apps will continue to slowly break or have problems.

Perhaps the biggest threat is the evolution of frequencies and protocols at the carriers. We're approaching another big transition, this time to move away from legacy 2G/3G to all LTE services (including VoLTE). That in itself isn't a problem for BB10, which supports LTE and VoLTE, but as frequencies are redeployed, some people may find that they lose coverage if primary coverage in their area moves to a band that their phone doesn't support (many people are experiencing these things now on T-Mobile as they roll out Band 12 LTE and decommission some older frequencies)
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-25-16 06:09 PM
    Exactly! I used my 9700 until one month ago when I got my classic. It still works perfectly and i've just changed the original battery!

Never throw out you BlackBerry phones just cos there's no OS update.

I should also add that my BlackBerry flip still works flawlessly, as does my playbook.

Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app
    I'd still be with my 9900 but carrier support for BIS is dwindling.
    08-26-16 12:35 AM
    Expanding on the "playbooked" concept, it's not unreasonable at this point to ask just how secure support for the new BlackBerry Android is going to be, going for forward with the likely outcome of BlackBerry abandoning devices altogether. We will all end up being "playbooked" no matter what.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    08-26-16 03:17 AM
    Having been "PlayBooked" once already, I can tell you that we're in for a painful ride. So fasten your seat belt, adjust the chin strap on your helmet, make sure your mouthpiece is in place and step on the gas; you are entering the BB Highway and it's going to be a maze of detours, potholes, black ice, debris, and abandoned vehicles.

On the positive side, at least you won't have to worry about any road repairs or new construction.
    Let's try not to overdramatize this. It will suck,yes, but as long as email, phone, browser work I'm not leaving. We can always use a second device if we need to.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 04:34 PM
    That's right. It will continue to work until it's deemed too slow by future standards!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-16 07:02 PM
    Given the widespread use of BB10 by governments like the thousands of devices in Germany, I still have hope that BlackBerry won't send BB10 into EOL purgatory like BBOS7.1 anytime soon.
    Yes, the updates and promises of updates are few and far between currently, but that's not the same as EOL.
    I envisage BB10 continuing to exist and be supported to fulfil that Government and Enterprise market, the profit coming from BES and SecureSMART not from device sales themselves.
    The consumer market for BB10 is most definitely dead, and I predict the BlackBerry Passport will be the last BB10 phone available through telecom carriers.
    Direct purchase from the source for any future BB10 devices, as the supply chain of BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition has established.

-- Give me a keyboard, a 5 star rated Browser and a fulcrum point and I could move the world.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-27-16 02:50 AM
    Expanding on the "playbooked" concept, it's not unreasonable at this point to ask just how secure support for the new BlackBerry Android is going to be, going for forward with the likely outcome of BlackBerry abandoning devices altogether. We will all end up being "playbooked" no matter what.

••• вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση •••
    YES ... the Android users will get dumped as soon as Chen decides it's in the interests of the shareholders' margins to do so.

That's the reputation BlackBerry have built for themselves among their users ...

With that being said, phone users tend to get short-changed in terms of support by comparison, for example, with PC users. Microsoft supports Windows for at least 10 years from the day of release. Google gives its users 18 months or something ridiculous. I believe Apple are better at providing support for users of older phones.
    09-01-16 06:22 AM
    On the other hand Apple has said their phones are made to last two to three years, and many recent high end Android phones won't be getting Nougat because of some problem with Qualcomm chips; I find this quite ridiculous and makes me rethink how much I would pay for any phone, but it puts things in perspective for BB10.
    09-01-16 07:47 AM